The 50 is sweet. My first Android and thoroughly impressed by battery life after hearing all the Android horror stories. I used a glaxay for a short time and didn't like the UI. Battery life lasts a long time until you play games or listen to music on full for a long time.
    Thanks Mike, that's useful to know
    01-09-17 11:59 AM
    Thanks Mike, that's useful to know
    Yes, thanks from me also Mike.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    01-09-17 12:05 PM
    Well, after one month having a realy bad battery life, yesterday i pull the latest autoloader on my device. Set up the whole thing from scratch and now the battery is realy good. Pull off the charger at 5:45 am and now at 9:35 pm still 36% battery life left. Is a workday, so i font use the fone that much. But before reloading the OS i have to charged the Phone at 2 pm .Almost ready to pull the trigger on the DTEK50 but worried about battery life.-screenshot_20170109-214059.jpg
    01-09-17 02:42 PM
    Well, after one month having a realy bad battery life, yesterday i pull the latest autoloader on my device. Set up the whole thing from scratch and now the battery is realy good. Pull off the charger at 5:45 am and now at 9:35 pm still 36% battery life left. Is a workday, so i font use the fone that much. But before reloading the OS i have to charged the Phone at 2 pm .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170109-214059.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	415555
    So Chris, is there an app that you didn't reload that was causing that awful battery drain? Any other explanation?

01-09-17 04:34 PM
    No, all the apps i use, where re installed. The only thing i changed wass installing greenify .
    01-09-17 04:51 PM
    Thanks everyone.

I have recently retired and now on a decreased budget, so anything BlackBerry above the 50 is not an option for me at present.

My usage is relatively light, especially since retiring. 10 to 12 emails a day, checking CB often, news, weather and Facebook. I'm not a gamer so no worries there.

Perhaps I would be better to look at the Moto G range but would prefer to stay with BlackBerry if at all viable.

I don't think you will have much of a battery issue based on the usage you described. I had a 50 for a bit...with a car charger in my ride, as a heavy user ..I had zero issue
    01-09-17 08:03 PM
    Also, just in case you need fast security updates, the 50 does not have the update love. From 1 month, the new waiting time is now, at least, 2 months.
    For me, it's not an issue, but just for your information.
    01-09-17 10:02 PM
    Also, just in case you need fast security updates, the 50 does not have the update love. From 1 month, the new waiting time is now, at least, 2 months.
    For me, it's not an issue, but just for your information.
    Thanks, yes I am now aware of this issue as it's running as a top thread at the moment. Seems like BlackBerry are treating the 50 as the runt of the family. Not good.

01-10-17 12:20 AM
    Finally....after months...I got my hands on a working DTEK50 demo unit...and I'm not really sure what everybody is complaining about regarding this phone?! For me as a Leap user it is the only sensible replacement. For the price it has it packs lot more than other phones a lot more expensive. Once the price goes down or they have another sale...I'm getting it...

I'm not a fan of Android ...and never will be, but what can I do...BB10 is everyday becoming not an option as it keeps folding and shrinking ...and I'd rather have a root canal performed without an anaesthetic than buy anything from Apple or use IOS...LOL.!

Respect My Autoritah!
    Last edited by adonesc; 01-11-17 at 07:04 PM.
    01-10-17 06:11 PM
    Finally....after months...I got my hands on a working DTEK50 and I'd rather have a root canal performed without an anaesthetic than buy anything from Apple or use IOS.
    Now this I've got to agree with. There's a deposit box in my yard where Apple products can be placed before a visitor is allowed to enter my house.

adonesc likes this.
    01-11-17 01:44 AM
    Now this I've got to agree with. There's a deposit box in my yard where Apple products can be placed before a visitor is allowed to enter my house.

LOL

Respect My Autoritah!
    01-11-17 07:03 PM
    Although i don't have a dtek50, I did have a Q10 previously and migrated to Samsung Galaxy S5 with Blackberry Hub+ services. After A LOT of tweaking, I get pretty good battery life. Any android phone out-of-the-box will have pretty poor battery life because it's always syncing and running programs in the background.

(1) Go to Settings, and turn ON "Power-Saving" and NEVER turn it off. (it will automatically turn off when charging so it will update your apps over wifi when it's charging and turn back on when you unplug it)
    (2) You should also to turn ON "App Power-Saving" and select all the apps you don't want to sync in the background. (which for me is ALL of them except Blackberry HUB+ Services)
    (3) You should also uninstall (or disable) bloatware apps that you don't use. (that means less apps running in the background, less apps syncing in the background, less apps updating, etc) For example, T-Mobile TV, T-Mobile Caller ID, Google App, Google hangouts, Google TV, etc etc. What i've found out as well, is it's MUCH easier to just have bookmarks to Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc in your Chrome browser rather than using their respective apps. It uses way LESS resources and battery power. For facebook messages I've found mbasic.facebook.com is an easy workaround instead of installing Facebook Messenger, so I bookmark that in chrome too.

If I don't play video games on the phone and just do emails, texts, web-surfing, etc. i'm pretty sure I could get almost 2 days of use. With about a few hours of video gaming and youtube streaming, i could get a full days worth.

Also, I've noticed in the HUB+ version of Blackberry Launcher, it's pretty fast/snappy in the beginning, but then it starts to slow down A LOT by the end of the day, (not sure if it does that on the dtek phones though because they come preloaded and have more features) so I switched to using Nova Launcher. I also use ASUS File Manager as you can link your cloud storages to it too so you don't need to keep the "Google Drive and OneDrive" apps and uninstall them (saving resources as well)... however you do need to keep the DropBox app if you use that one, otherwise uninstalling dropbox will remove it from ASUS File Manager too.
    Thanks. I'll have to try that. Coming from a Z30, my Dtek50 battery runs down very quickly.
    Part of it, I'm sure, is due to all the fiddling I have been doing with the settings. Everything seems to default to battery burning settings!!
    01-15-17 01:40 PM
    I used dtek50 for months now and battery life always one of the things I loved about this phone.

For an average User like me, I NEVER ran out of battery a Day.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-18-17 11:50 PM
    I believe the DTEK50 is an amazing phone, with the only downsizes of Internal Storage and Battery Life. Consider it is sold as a mid-range, and other than the mentioned, everything else is high-end on this device.

The charger that comes with the phone is VERY good. Allows close to 1.8A at over 5V. If your still want faster charging you can get the BlackBerry Fast Charger, which is 10-15% faster, charging at 9V and nearly 1.2A.

Lastly, the BlackBerry Power Bank is VERY GOOD. However, be aware it's not as portable. It's a heavy accessory, so only suitable to carry on a bag or briefcase. It'll will charge the DTEK50 4 times. I charges about 30% faster on the 2A usb port.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-19-17 09:38 AM
    Have had mine since August. Upgraded from Z10. Didn't want to but knew it was time. Now that I have, haven't looked back. Used the Z10 once since and was it ever slow...and even more apps now not working. Not so on the DTEK 50! Just wish it had more international storage.
    01-19-17 04:02 PM
    Well, I'm still not convinced. Jury's still out.

So many conflicting stories.

So, I've set end of February as my deadline for my final decision, so got a little more time as yet.

01-20-17 01:36 AM

So, I've set end of February as my deadline for my final decision, so got a little more time as yet.

what's holding you back? the guy with the old galaxy who's telling you how to optimise a dtrk50 ? lol the hub and bb stuff is the power hungry stuff. I go 3 days with mine. my fiancee has hub plus on and she gets 2.5 days.
    01-20-17 08:30 AM

Get a used one to try it out. That's what I have and I'm happy I did it!!! My Z30 was used and it has been working perfectly for almost 3 years!! Probably had 3 owners before me. Check out the Marketplace.
    01-20-17 10:15 AM
    Get a used one to try it out. That's what I have and I'm happy I did it!!! My Z30 was used and it has been working perfectly for almost 3 years!! Probably had 3 owners before me. Check out the Marketplace.
    get a used z30? lol
    01-20-17 10:40 AM
    get a used z30? lol
    Also a great idea!! But I'm not selling mine. LOL
    01-20-17 11:15 AM
    Also a great idea!! But I'm not selling mine. LOL
    please don't lol
    01-20-17 02:20 PM
    Don't the wife easily gets three a day and in to the night I would put her in the light to medium usage category. Very impressive phone ,honestly makes my priv seem very old, just saying
    01-20-17 10:07 PM
    I got the Dtek50 two weeks ago and I've found the battery to be satisfactory. I'm not a heavy user with games etc. but I'll listen to some music , do some browsing and watch some video as well as emails, texts and whats app. The battery is taking me from 7am to 10pm without any major issues so far. I watched a hockey game on the phone the other day and that was the lowest I've seen the battery at 15%. So not bad in my opinion.
    01-21-17 08:32 AM
    Sorry to be so negative, but I'm also concerned about the weight of the DTEK50. It only weighs in at 135 gm whereas my Z30 is 170 gm and I do like a phone with a weighty solid feel to it. I'm concerned that the 50 will feel like it's arrived in a Christmas cracker.

01-22-17 06:26 AM
    what's holding you back? the guy with the old galaxy who's telling you how to optimise a dtrk50 ? lol the hub and bb stuff is the power hungry stuff. I go 3 days with mine. my fiancee has hub plus on and she gets 2.5 days.
    hahahha that's the best thing i've heard in a while. You go 3 days with your DTEK50??? Do you have it in flight mode for 3 days. Come on, that is absurd. You must literally leave it on standby. Please don't give this guy false hope by saying you get 3 days of use out of yours. I got 7-8 hours of intermediate use out of mine. It would last 7am-10pm if I barely touched it. 3 days? You've clearly just made that figure up because the only time I got 3 days from both of my DTEK50s was when I put one on flight mode, disabled all notifications, turned off sound, lowered brightness etc etc - essentially turning it into a basic dumb block of plastic, not a smartphone.

Can someone back me up on this please? As a forum, we shouldn't go around stating 3 days or 2.5 days is easily possible. Even Blackberry's figure was much, much lower than yours and phone manufacturers usually test in unrealistic conditions.
    01-22-17 07:30 AM
73 123