Been with BlackBerry since 2008 and still running my 3 year old Z30. I now realise that I have to move forward and feel that the DTEK50 would suit my requirements and budget.

The only thing holding me back is all the reviews I've read about battery life of the 50. It's not looking anything like as good as my Z30 and I worry that it won't see me through the day. (7am to 11 pm).

Any advise on this issue?

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    01-07-17 08:46 PM
    Although i don't have a dtek50, I did have a Q10 previously and migrated to Samsung Galaxy S5 with Blackberry Hub+ services. After A LOT of tweaking, I get pretty good battery life. Any android phone out-of-the-box will have pretty poor battery life because it's always syncing and running programs in the background.

(1) Go to Settings, and turn ON "Power-Saving" and NEVER turn it off. (it will automatically turn off when charging so it will update your apps over wifi when it's charging and turn back on when you unplug it)
    (2) You should also to turn ON "App Power-Saving" and select all the apps you don't want to sync in the background. (which for me is ALL of them except Blackberry HUB+ Services)
    (3) You should also uninstall (or disable) bloatware apps that you don't use. (that means less apps running in the background, less apps syncing in the background, less apps updating, etc) For example, T-Mobile TV, T-Mobile Caller ID, Google App, Google hangouts, Google TV, etc etc. What i've found out as well, is it's MUCH easier to just have bookmarks to Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc in your Chrome browser rather than using their respective apps. It uses way LESS resources and battery power. For facebook messages I've found mbasic.facebook.com is an easy workaround instead of installing Facebook Messenger, so I bookmark that in chrome too.

If I don't play video games on the phone and just do emails, texts, web-surfing, etc. i'm pretty sure I could get almost 2 days of use. With about a few hours of video gaming and youtube streaming, i could get a full days worth.

Also, I've noticed in the HUB+ version of Blackberry Launcher, it's pretty fast/snappy in the beginning, but then it starts to slow down A LOT by the end of the day, (not sure if it does that on the dtek phones though because they come preloaded and have more features) so I switched to using Nova Launcher. I also use ASUS File Manager as you can link your cloud storages to it too so you don't need to keep the "Google Drive and OneDrive" apps and uninstall them (saving resources as well)... however you do need to keep the DropBox app if you use that one, otherwise uninstalling dropbox will remove it from ASUS File Manager too.
    01-07-17 10:04 PM
    DTEK50 is a good option but battery life not that impressive. Go for the DTEK60.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-07-17 11:28 PM
    That will depend on your usage, but just have low expectations with batt life, especially coming from a BlackBerry OS phone.
    An external battery/charger helps.

But if you/your phone can hold on a few months more, I suggest you wait for the Mercury.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-08-17 12:36 AM
    with 35-40% screen brightness, 4G, WiFi and Bluetooth (Garmin watch) always on I charge it in the evening. I've seen much worse.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-08-17 12:42 AM
    Thanks everyone.

I have recently retired and now on a decreased budget, so anything BlackBerry above the 50 is not an option for me at present.

My usage is relatively light, especially since retiring. 10 to 12 emails a day, checking CB often, news, weather and Facebook. I'm not a gamer so no worries there.

Perhaps I would be better to look at the Moto G range but would prefer to stay with BlackBerry if at all viable.

01-08-17 04:50 AM
    I think if you have light usage, the phone should last you the whole day. It's 2,610mAh battery is by no means an award winner but with its light processor it should hold out. It doesn't take very long to charge (quick charge 2.0) so if it does get a little low, i'm sure you can just quickly plug it in for 30 minutes or so.

The Moto G (3rd gen) has a 2,470mAh battery, but has a smaller screen and lower resolution which will help in the battery life department, maybe a little better than the DTEK50

The Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) has a 2,300mAh battery but then has a smaller screen than the Moto G. So it's easier on the battery.

But as you can see by comparing those 3 devices, the DTEK50's battery isn't actually so small when you compare it to other budget devices. Let us know what device you end up with.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-08-17 05:21 AM
    The 50 should be ok, i have mine hooked up all day on blue tooth to a smart watch and check emails and news sites a number of times per day and can easily get 2 days out of it. I also switch it off at night time as i dont want to be using it in my sleep :-) Glad i purchased this phone
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-08-17 05:28 AM
    Thanks everyone.

I have recently retired and now on a decreased budget, so anything BlackBerry above the 50 is not an option for me at present.

My usage is relatively light, especially since retiring. 10 to 12 emails a day, checking CB often, news, weather and Facebook. I'm not a gamer so no worries there.

Perhaps I would be better to look at the Moto G range but would prefer to stay with BlackBerry if at all viable.

Had the 50 since launch. Your usage and mine are almost identical. I've NEVER had to worry about battery life.
    dangerousfen and CerveloJohn like this.
    01-08-17 07:47 AM
    Had the 50 since launch. Your usage and mine are almost identical. I've NEVER had to worry about battery life.
    Thanks Johnny, always respected your posts and that has given me more confidence. Glad you chimed in.

Johnny Dollar likes this.
    01-08-17 09:36 AM
    Well you could buy an iPhone 6plus that has the worst battery if any phone I have ever owned. Plus they have a known glitch on the battery percentage, that hasn't been fixed in the last 99 updates.

Once the 50 or 60 goes down in price, that's what I am going to buy.
    01-08-17 09:51 AM
    Oh and I was dumb enough to buy it for 749 on monthly installments.
    01-08-17 09:52 AM
    Now I've come off contract, I will now buy outright/upfront. I've set a budget max off 300 sterling. The 50 now sites nicely within this figure. Unfortunately, so do many other phones.

As I said earlier, I would prefer to stay with BlackBerry (TCL).

01-08-17 10:08 AM
    I have used Android on and off since 2010 although I have usually used a BlackBerry as my main device during this times. The DTEK50 doesn't have the largest battery, but it also doesn't have a 2K HD screen to power, so battery life will be relative. Use the DTEK app to find apps that are constantly pinging for your location when location services on and disable location for those apps.

Facebook and Facebook Messenger are two on-again, off-again apps that can be massive battery hogs. I just avoid the Messenger app and use the Facebook Mobile touch-enabled site for FB browsing (it works just fine, and you can still get push notifications via Chrome... so they won't be integrated into the hub, but I'm not a big FB user).

If you have multiple Google accounts, only set one your primary account in the Android operating system. Set up any other Google email/calendar/contacts accounts within BlackBerry services so that you don't have duplication of syncing. Not to mention there are quite a few additional services that Google will sync by default for each account even if you don't need it.

Just my thoughts. It also looks like the Priv is nearing £300 from some sellers, so maybe something to consider if you think you might want to give a physical keyboard a go-around.
    01-08-17 10:24 AM
    Thanks everyone.

You will be perfectly fine with your usage. Set up with Android is important. And like BlackBerry 10 you can turn off run in the background at the app level. The DTEK50 is a very good all touch mobile device at any price. At 249 in US dollars it's exceptional. Great screen, speakers, build, etc. The 617 is plenty fast enough. Grab a good high speed 32-64 SD card and you'll be set.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-08-17 01:06 PM
    Is "Turn off run in the background at app level" possible with Facebook Messenger?
    01-08-17 01:11 PM
    Now I've come off contract, I will now buy outright/upfront. I've set a budget max off 300 sterling. The 50 now sites nicely within this figure. Unfortunately, so do many other phones.

As I said earlier, I would prefer to stay with BlackBerry (TCL).

I am in a similar position to you. I had looked at contract options and sim only with a phone bought outright. Like you, I would prefer to stay with bb, I am on my third bb phone now, a z10 which is probably overdue replacement. I was seriously looking at the dtek50 but .......... the wileyfox swift 2 plus has got me interested. I am not sure which out the dtek50 and the wileyfox would be more secure though. The wileyfox uses cyanogen which seems pretty good but I am not an expert. Both phones have pros and cons. Just saying....
    01-08-17 02:13 PM
    Is "Turn off run in the background at app level" possible with Facebook Messenger?
    I recommend Facebook Lite on Google Play Store (an all in one app (like using the browser for BlackBerry 10) that is small and easy on battery- and negates the need for two apps) I had been using Chrome browser for my small Facebook usage but it makes you download Messenger to utilize- if needed.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    01-08-17 02:32 PM
    @Planetbollox,

I agree, it's a difficult choice in this price bracket and I would dearly like to stick with BlackBerry having had nothing else since 2008.

Check out the Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 specs and reviews, that's one heck of a phone for less than £300. ( I just happen to be with Voda UK).

Oh dear, what to do?

01-08-17 02:40 PM
    I sent my DTEK 50 back because cider quality was so bad. The blacks are not black on it.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 02:54 PM
    Decisions decisions. It is difficult. Thanks for the heads up about the Vodafone smart platinum 7. I wasn't aware of this but will certainly have a look
    01-08-17 02:56 PM
    @Planetbollox,

I agree, it's a difficult choice in this price bracket and I would dearly like to stick with BlackBerry having had nothing else since 2008.

Check out the Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 specs and reviews, that's one heck of a phone for less than £300. ( I just happen to be with Voda UK).

Oh dear, what to do?

The 50 is sweet. My first Android and thoroughly impressed by battery life after hearing all the Android horror stories. I used a glaxay for a short time and didn't like the UI. Battery life lasts a long time until you play games or listen to music on full for a long time.
    dangerousfen likes this.
    01-08-17 04:09 PM
    Decisions decisions. It is difficult. Thanks for the heads up about the Vodafone smart platinum 7. I wasn't aware of this but will certainly have a look
    After more research, this Vodafone model is actually based on a re branded Alcatel Idol 4S which in itself is not yet available in the UK. Interesting!!!!!

It's also got added features such as a finger print scanner.

Last edited by dangerousfen; 01-08-17 at 06:04 PM.
    planetbollox likes this.
    01-08-17 05:12 PM
    I recommend Facebook Lite on Google Play Store (an all in one app (like using the browser for BlackBerry 10) that is small and easy on battery- and negates the need for two apps) I had been using Chrome browser for my small Facebook usage but it makes you download Messenger to utilize- if needed.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    There is an even better version (for me) called Lite Messenger for Facebook. It's not the official "lite" version, but it also has combined fb + messenger, and more importantly, lesser battery + data use than the "facebook lite" .
    01-08-17 06:55 PM
    There is an even better version (for me) called Lite Messenger for Facebook. It's not the official "lite" version, but it also has combined fb + messenger, and more importantly, lesser battery + data use than the "facebook lite" .
    That is the read up on and am using. My bad on the name. It's much better than two separate Facebook and Messenger.
    01-08-17 07:58 PM
73 123