The Alcatel IDOL 4 (aka BlackBerry DTEK50) with VR Pack selling for $100 from Cricket (with one month of service which is $30). This does not bode well for BlackBerry's $300 price point. I know there are a few BlackBerry modifications and those are definitely of value but they are not worth $200.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...-idol4-vr.html
    09-17-16 02:57 PM
    The Alcatel IDOL 4 (aka BlackBerry DTEK50) with VR Pack selling for $100 from Cricket (with one month of service which is $30). This does not bode well for BlackBerry's $300 price point. I know there are a few BlackBerry modifications and those are definitely of value but they are not worth $200.

Really? Maybe you should read the fine print.

"Rate Plan Requirements

Qualifying monthly service plan required"

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-17-16 03:01 PM
    I great deal for pretty much same phone. Hopefully the idol 4 keep updating there operating system.

9900�8910�z10�Q20�Z30�Passport�Priv�Dtek50�
    09-17-16 03:04 PM
    Really? Maybe you should read the fine print.

"Rate Plan Requirements

Qualifying monthly service plan required"

Maybe you should read my post. Here I'll quote it: "with one month of service which is $30". And to expand on that in case you are unable to take it to its logical conclusion: $130 < $300. In a way you can call it wash as I think it's fair to ascribe that $30 to the VR headset.
    09-17-16 03:38 PM
    Maybe you should read my post. Here I'll quote it: "with one month of service which is $30". And to expand on that in case you are unable to take it to its logical conclusion: $130 < $300. In a way you can call it wash as I think it's fair to ascribe that $30 to the VR headset.
    Your monthly fees will be higher and you'd be stuck with a contract than if you bring your own. A matter of amortization or upfront costs. So yeah, the phone companies would want the gullible to think $130 < $300.

09-17-16 04:06 PM
    If there is no early termination fee then ....
    09-17-16 04:25 PM
    The DTEK50 is free from Canadian carriers on a two year plan.
    anon(4275744) and sonicpix like this.
    09-17-16 04:38 PM
    I great deal for pretty much same phone. Hopefully the idol 4 keep updating there operating system.

Surprised to see that it's already updated to Android 6.

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-17-16 04:57 PM
    Cricket wireless? Garbage!

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-17-16 05:04 PM
    Aren't u still stuck in a two year contract. If u break it u gotta pay for remainder of phone. Or some outrageous monthly plan. Rather buy phone outright

09-17-16 05:31 PM
    The DTEK50 is free from Canadian carriers on a two year plan.
    And if you buy at Costco, you get 125$ cash card

09-17-16 07:12 PM

OP, buy cricket it's $100 locked into a two year contract. With early termination fees. And no BlackBerry apps, nor blackberry UI. Cricket is most definitely getting the same $300 out of the consumers.

$300 gives you phone in pocket. Carrier of choice for those that support the phone. And all the BlackBerry apps free, along with BlackBerry UI.

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    09-17-16 08:27 PM
    Amortization / contracts works for those who understand the terms of the agreement. You pay a lower cost up front. But you're locked into their pricing and plan (paying a higher monthly rate to cover the cost of the device).

But isn't that how marketing works? It's obviously worked on the OP.

09-17-16 09:30 PM
    You forgot to add the activation fee which is $40 dollars plus taxes. So that comes out to be around $190.00. But you get no monthly security updates. No blackberry software or security
    sethr likes this.
    09-17-16 09:47 PM

Then buy it lol , everyone has different judgement for the phone if the idol4 from cricket good for you
    yrfthl, sethr and Bla1ze like this.
    09-17-16 09:56 PM
    OP, buy cricket it's $100 locked into a two year contract. With early termination fees. And no BlackBerry apps, nor blackberry UI. Cricket is most definitely getting the same $300 out of the consumers.
    I don't want to sound rude, but the Dtek50 doesn't have a Blackberry UI, only BB10 does. Android Blackberrys are pretty much stock android with a small teaks on the launcher + BB apps (wich you can get similar ones on 3rd party apps)

So the Dtek50 is there for security, that's it, if you don't care about security, nothing that blackberry did to it is a deal maker over the Idol4
    09-18-16 12:30 PM
    The pips on the back sold me on it ;-)

Posted via CB10
    yrfthl likes this.
    09-18-16 12:39 PM
    I don't want to sound rude, but the Dtek50 doesn't have a Blackberry UI, only BB10 does. Android Blackberrys are pretty much stock android with a small teaks on the launcher + BB apps (wich you can get similar ones on 3rd party apps)

So the Dtek50 is there for security, that's it, if you don't care about security, nothing that blackberry did to it is a deal maker over the Idol4
    I think of it as very much a BlackBerry UI. Yes, it's not a heavy handed Launcher, but it is unmistakably BlackBerry. The sparks, the swipe up gestures, the keyboard, and the productivity tab feel very familiar. All but the sparks REQUIRE a BlackBerry Android device.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    09-18-16 12:49 PM
    Exactly. No one is forcing anybody to buy either phone. They're different phones aimed at the needs of different users.

Then buy it lol , everyone has different judgement for the phone if the idol4 from cricket good for you
    09-18-16 12:49 PM
    I should have thought about the fact that not everyone on these forums is from the U.S. and even if they are they are may not be familiar with Cricket. Cricket is a pre-paid provider which means no contracts. Here are the steps to get the Alcatel Idol 4 for $129.99:

1. Go to Cricket store and buy phone for $99.99
    2. Sign up for the cheapest $30/month plan
    3. Port in a phone number to lock in the $99.99 price ($149.99 without number port-in). You don't have to use your main number you can port in a number from free services like RingPlus or other pre-paid services so there is no actual cost (other than some time and legwork on your part).
    4. Use the phone for a month and then cancel or call to cancel as your walking out of the store
    5. Alcatel Idol 4 with VR pack for $129.99 total cost!
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-18-16 12:53 PM
    I think of it as very much a BlackBerry UI. Yes, it's not a heavy handed Launcher, but it is unmistakably BlackBerry. The sparks, the swipe up gestures, the keyboard, and the productivity tab feel very familiar. All but the sparks REQUIRE a BlackBerry Android device.
    I am pretty sure that if you loaded all the Android/Blackberry UI in a Nexus6, nobody wouldn't tell you that's a Blackberry OS. It has what google calls "material design" wich never was a Blackberry design, until some later iterations of BB10. Blackberry since BBOS5 was all black themed OS, android is white, that alone...

I don't agree, sure there are some blackberry touches, but pretty much every Priv's review, the claims were that the OS was very close to Stock Android. Even more heavily customized like Samsung, LG or Htc, you can jump from phone to phone and 95% of the OS is and works the same way, there's not much of a learning curve.

Now if you put BB10 or windows phone in the hands of an android User, there's a learning curve.
    09-18-16 01:13 PM
    I should have thought about the fact that not everyone on these forums is from the U.S. and even if they are they are may not be familiar with Cricket. Cricket is a pre-paid provider which means no contracts. Here are the steps to get the Alcatel Idol 4 for $129.99:

1. Go to Cricket store and buy phone for $99.99
    2. Sign up for the cheapest $30/month plan
    3. Port in a phone number to lock in the $99.99 price ($149.99 without number port-in). You don't have to use your main number you can port in a number from free services like RingPlus or other pre-paid services so there is no actual cost (other than some time and legwork on your part).
    4. Use the phone for a month and then cancel or call to cancel as your walking out of the store
    5. Alcatel Idol 4 with VR pack for $129.99 total cost!
    Not only a pain in the *** but morally unethical. If that's the way you roll then go for it.

Posted via my DTEK50
    09-18-16 01:20 PM
    I am pretty sure that if you loaded all the Android/Blackberry UI in a Nexus6, nobody wouldn't tell you that's a Blackberry OS. It has what google calls "material design" wich never was a Blackberry design, until some later iterations of BB10. Blackberry since BBOS5 was all black themed OS, android is white, that alone...

I don't agree, sure there are some blackberry touches, but pretty much every Priv's review, the claims were that the OS was very close to Stock Android. Even more heavily customized like Samsung, LG or Htc, you can jump from phone to phone and 95% of the OS is and works the same way, there's not much of a learning curve.

Now if you put BB10 or windows phone in the hands of an android User, there's a learning curve.
    You can't load the complete BlackBerry UI on Nexus. You can use the app suite, but the keyboard, productivity tab, and swipe up gestures are exclusive to a BlackBerry Android device.

I used BB10 since launch (and still do), on pretty much every device. I have used the Priv and DTEK50 since launch as well.

I'm telling you, with specific examples, of how BlackBerry Android feels like a BlackBerry, and is different from other Android devices.

You can agree or not, of course. But I'm not sure you've used BlackBerry Android enough to say.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-18-16 01:23 PM
    Not only a pain in the *** but morally unethical. If that's the way you roll then go for it.

Posted via my DTEK50
    How is it a pain in the ***? The only difference between doing this and what you surely have done when you've bought a phone or signed up for a new carrier is filling out a web-based form at RingPlus or another pre-paid provider to get a number issued that you can use for port in. Extra 20 minutes at home before you head to the store is not a pain in the ***.

And morally unethical? Hahaha! If you want to talk about morally unethical you should tell us about the 3 year contracts your Canadian carriers imprison you with. There is nothing wrong with trying out a new carrier and deciding you don't want to continue service after your first month (or maybe it works great and you stick with them). They got paid for a month of service and received reimbursement for their cost of the phone. What are you so worried about?
    09-18-16 01:39 PM

Posted via my DTEK50
    But it sounds legal to me. Not much different fundamentally from people who use a bunch of coupons to get groceries virtually free weekly.

Personally, I'd rather just get the Nokia 630 that's dirt cheap from cricket. I've seen it for as low as $20!

Passport!
    09-18-16 01:43 PM
76 123 ...