So, last Xmas I bought my son a DTEK50. One year later, here are some thoughts…

I originally bought the phone on sale for $300 CAN. The screen broke twice. I originally bought the phone from BlackBerry and both times the phone was repaired for free. After the second time it broke, I got my son a better case and had had liquid hardener applied to the screen. I was sort of surprised that my son broke the screen twice as he was using an iPod prior to and it survived for three years (despite drops and abuse). This is a thin phone and a bit on the delicate side.

On the plus side, the phone has been put through its paces. It is never off and is always in use. The battery could be better, but my son has a battery bank, which he uses all the time to boost it. It gets heavy use.

Some conclusions: I am not sure that they make a phone that is indestructible when it comes to a 15 year old teenage boy. It has a lot of great (BlackBerry) security features, but he uses it mostly to play video games. The speaker sound is really good. Overall, the DTEK50 has kept up the pace for the last year.
    Johnny Dollar likes this.
    01-01-18 12:23 PM
    So, last Xmas I bought my son a DTEK50. One year later, here are some thoughts…

I originally bought the phone on sale for $300 CAN. The screen broke twice. I originally bought the phone from BlackBerry and both times the phone was repaired for free. After the second time it broke, I got my son a better case and had had liquid hardener applied to the screen. I was sort of surprised that my son broke the screen twice as he was using an iPod prior to and it survived for three years (despite drops and abuse). This is a thin phone and a bit on the delicate side.

On the plus side, the phone has been put through its paces. It is never off and is always in use. The battery could be better, but my son has a battery bank, which he uses all the time to boost it. It gets heavy use.

Some conclusions: I am not sure that they make a phone that is indestructible when it comes to a 15 year old teenage boy. It has a lot of great (BlackBerry) security features, but he uses it mostly to play video games. The speaker sound is really good. Overall, the DTEK50 has kept up the pace for the last year.
    Unfortunately, both DTEK hardware may not meet the standards of longtime BB enthusiasts. I dropped both my 50 and my 60 and both screens have multiple fissure lines now. I've never had this happen to any BB device that I've used since approximately 2000-2001 with pager email hardware. I do feel the KEYone seems better from handling one extensively in a Sprint branch. I'm anxious for someone to compare build quality of DTEK to Motion. If people have already, sorry that I've missed it.
    01-01-18 03:23 PM
    Unfortunately, both DTEK hardware may not meet the standards of longtime BB enthusiasts. I dropped both my 50 and my 60 and both screens have multiple fissure lines now. I've never had this happen to any BB device that I've used since approximately 2000-2001 with pager email hardware. I do feel the KEYone seems better from handling one extensively in a Sprint branch. I'm anxious for someone to compare build quality of DTEK to Motion. If people have already, sorry that I've missed it.
    To be fair, any half decent phone from 2000 will be built stronger than a crop of 2018 IPhone X, Note 8 or a Blackberry Dtek device.

the old phones did not need the larger screen size or the thin bezels consumers ask for.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-18 09:57 PM
    My 15 year old broke his dtek50 screen 3 times. First time BB fixed at no charge. Next 2 times I replaced digitizer and screen for approximately $50usd. Nice phone for someone who takes care of it. Unfortunately it ran out of memory and not built for a 15 yr old. He would have settled for a motion however not available in USA for Christmas so I got him a one plus 5 and he loves it. I'm sure I'll be replacing the screen at some point. i
    01-03-18 11:00 PM
    My 15 year old broke his dtek50 screen 3 times. First time BB fixed at no charge. Next 2 times I replaced digitizer and screen for approximately $50usd. Nice phone for someone who takes care of it. Unfortunately it ran out of memory and not built for a 15 yr old. He would have settled for a motion however not available in USA for Christmas so I got him a one plus 5 and he loves it. I'm sure I'll be replacing the screen at some point. i
    Make him work and pay for the repairs

That way, he will learn to take care of his devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-18 03:26 PM