First I like the phone the size, weight and feel are great. Sound is good, screen is fine does have a lot of glare but a fine screen none the less. Here's where thing go down. I've started to notice lag on a everyday basis with the phone. I have a g4 plus also with less ram and it runs faster.

The camera is hit and miss. In the right light with a perfect still subject photos are fine any other time the camera performs worse then the Moto g3. The battery has gotten absolutely horrendous and can't make it through a day. Now this could be background apps crushing it but still the battery is an important part of a phone and really this isn't acceptable performance.

Now I could reset which I will do once but people buy phones not to reset them regularly to keep them running smooth. Also the lack of slomo video is disappointing I use to film my daughters gymnastics and other things kids do as they like seeing it in slomo. Phones that cost 200 bucks have this feature but not the dtek50. The hub is an OK feature but if Blackberry is hoping this can keep them alive in the phone business they are dreaming as its not a killer feature.

Being a Canadian I want to support our companies at home but not if they can't have a product that is comparable to equivalent priced products from other companies abroad. What have you guys noticed after some time with the dtek50 still happy? Done with it?
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-06-16 at 11:57 AM.
    09-05-16 02:30 PM
    The way I see it. If it's not for u. Send it back. All phones have there weak points. I'm happy with the dtek50. The battery isn't great. But it gets me through a 8 hour workday + 3-4 hours after. Got my apps and I'm good to go. I like my dtek50 better then my s7 edge. Packed up my s7 edge sold it. Equals dtek50 + extra money to play with.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails 2 weeks with the DTEK50 issues-img-20160902-wa0002.jpg  
    auditman, syclone1978 and CDM76 like this.
    09-05-16 03:05 PM
    the lack of slomo video is disappointing
    Search for "Slow Motion" on Google Play store for your choice of apps to produce slow motion video

The battery has gotten absolutely horrendous and can't make it through a day.
    Have you tried enabling the built in Battery Saver (accessed from the quick access settings) swipe two fingers from the top of the screen...battery saver is at the bottom

The camera is hit and miss.
    See if the Blackberry video camera tutorial might help

If you need help understanding HDR see HERE
    09-05-16 03:54 PM
    Your obviously a specs guy... Blackberry is not. Blackberry is about the experience. I suggest if the phone is running slow do a factory reset and if your still not satisfied then get a phone with the specs you want.

09-05-16 04:05 PM
    I'm happy with mine. Bought a second one for dad. I also sold my s7 and kept my dtek50. Does what I need to do and battery is nowhere need bad compare to other android phones.
    mikedolo, CerveloJohn and Ethynil like this.
    09-05-16 06:22 PM
    Exactly

Ethynil likes this.
    09-05-16 07:54 PM
    First I like the phone the size, weight and feel are great. Sound is good, screen is fine does have a lot of glare but a fine screen none the less. Here's where thing go down. I've started to notice lag on a everyday basis with the phone. I have a g4 plus also with less ram and it runs faster. The camera is hit and miss. In the right light with a perfect still subject photos are fine any other time the camera performs worse then the Moto g3. The battery has gotten absolutely horrendous and can't make it through a day. Now this could be background apps crushing it but still the battery is an important part of a phone and really this isn't acceptable performance. Now I could reset which I will do once but people buy phones not to reset them regularly to keep them running smooth. Also the lack of slomo video is disappointing I use to film my daughters gymnastics and other things kids do as they like seeing it in slomo. Phones that cost 200 bucks have this feature but not the dtek50. The hub is an OK feature but if Blackberry is hoping this can keep them alive in the phone business they are dreaming as its not a killer feature. Being a Canadian I want to support our companies at home but not if they can't have a product that is comparable to equivalent priced products from other companies abroad. What have you guys noticed after some time with the dtek50 still happy? Done with it?
    It shouldn't be slow, try to reset it, if it doesn't work send it back.
    09-05-16 08:08 PM
    the lack of slomo video is disappointing
    DTEK50 has the capability to record slow motion. Please see Blackberry Help | Camera | Recording Video

...also see:

Complete Camera Help Overview

Edited 2016 09 06
    NB. This information is incorrect as noted later in this thread. Slow Motion video is NOT available on DTEK...Steve
    Last edited by Ethynil; 09-06-16 at 02:40 PM. Reason: error correction
    jas1978 likes this.
    09-06-16 11:55 AM
    DTEK50 has the capability to record slow motion. Please see Blackberry Help | Camera | Recording Video

...also see:

Complete Camera Help Overview
    That's not actually an option on DTEK50.
    melander likes this.
    09-06-16 12:00 PM
    Correct its not.
    09-06-16 12:03 PM
    I'm not a specs guy at all I've used every phone out pretty much and really like the dtek50 just find these issues. When I have a chance I'll reset and start over and see how it goes. An experience isn't a good one of your battery is crap and you have lag.
    09-06-16 12:06 PM
    Slow motion should have been part of the blackberry stock camera app. Shouldn't have to get a different app.
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-06-16 12:07 PM
    Slow motion should have been part of the blackberry stock camera app. Shouldn't have to get a different app.
    I totally agree. I don't get why they didn't include such a basic function.
    09-06-16 12:10 PM
    That's not actually an option on DTEK50.
    Thanks for correcting my misinformation.

I followed the links on the BB site DTEK50 - 6.0
    Steve
    09-06-16 12:30 PM
    I totally agree. I don't get why they didn't include such a basic function.
    Well, just looked and apparently the Idol 4 has the option for slow motion video, so it's probably coming. You also can't do Picture Password and that's apparently definitely coming so the software may still be somewhat of a work in progress?

https://www.phoneworld.com.pk/alcatel-idol-4-review/
    09-06-16 03:48 PM
    Can it also do time lapse photos?
    09-06-16 08:16 PM
    Can it also do time lapse photos?
    Nope it can't.
    09-07-16 01:50 AM
    After switching back to my moto g4 plus today there is a huge difference in speed between the 2 the moto kicks the dtek50's butt. Also noticed wifi is a lot better on moto. Somebody above said you get a blackberry for the experience. Not so much as that experience is now for all Android phones through the Hub app. The last gripe i have about the dtek50 is the rubber speaker grills are dust magnets and get crap stuck in them. Still going to reset and try it again as there's always hope.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-07-16 01:55 AM
    After switching back to my moto g4 plus today there is a huge difference in speed between the 2 the moto kicks the dtek50's butt. Also noticed wifi is a lot better on moto. Somebody above said you get a blackberry for the experience. Not so much as that experience is now for all Android phones through the Hub app. The last gripe i have about the dtek50 is the rubber speaker grills are dust magnets and get crap stuck in them. Still going to reset and try it again as there's always hope.
    Does moto get security updates on time? To me thats more important than speed. Unless you play alot of games.
    09-07-16 02:20 AM
    There's no "on time" for security updates yes blackberry updates them fast. Moto is a month behind at this point. The dtek was starting to lag at Hub and other places. The point is the phone shouldn't lag at all, the camera should've had slomo recording from the get go. Blackberry is a company trying to stay in the handset business they need to have the best product at that price point to do it. 99.9% of Android users don't care about security updates. Blackberry better hope their next phone knocks it out of the park or they will be sitting on the sidelines wondering what could've been. 2 mediocre handsets at best aren't going to get it done.
    09-07-16 02:29 AM
    99.9% of Android users don't care about security updates.
    That is, of course, until you realize your data has been compromised. Different story I know, but how do you think the A-listers felt when their nude selfies were posted for the Internet's viewing pleasure?

I know it's different in terms of it being cloud data via iOS, let's not get into a debate, just trying to illustrate how no one thinks twice about sensitive data being exposed until they find they are backtracking several ways to ensure the things don't get worse once the data has leaked. In the case of those A-list stars, it costed them each millions in legal fees to defend themselves from sites posting their personal photos.

Posted via CB10
    Ethynil likes this.
    09-07-16 05:17 AM
    I'm happy with mine. Bought a second one for dad. I also sold my s7 and kept my dtek50. Does what I need to do and battery is nowhere need bad compare to other android phones.
    You almost made me belive that the Dtek50 better than a Galaxy S7
    chain13 likes this.
    09-07-16 01:51 PM
    That is, of course, until you realize your data has been compromised. Different story I know, but how do you think the A-listers felt when their nude selfies were posted for the Internet's viewing pleasure?

I know it's different in terms of it being cloud data via iOS, let's not get into a debate, just trying to illustrate how no one thinks twice about sensitive data being exposed until they find they are backtracking several ways to ensure the things don't get worse once the data has leaked. In the case of those A-list stars, it costed them each millions in legal fees to defend themselves from sites posting their personal photos.

Posted via CB10
    But that wasn't anything to do with a security vulnerability on their phone. It was to do with a weak password which can happen on any phone.
    09-07-16 04:52 PM
    But that wasn't anything to do with a security vulnerability on their phone. It was to do with a weak password which can happen on any phone.
    True. Safety comes first to blackberry.
    09-07-16 05:09 PM
    There is no comparison to anything to do with mobile with the case you are talking about. That was somebody getting pics through iCloud. It could happen to somebody using a blackberry if somebody hacked Google photos as well. Also pretty sure none of us are a-listers that somebody wants our pics of our dog or families.

The post was never about a question of security it was about a phone that blackberry released that i was having issues with 2 weeks in.
    09-07-16 05:16 PM
60 123