This is a device wide issue with BB OS not fully supporting the .QCP audio format. This is not an isolated issue EVERYONE with a Verizon BB Curve, Pearl, 8830we is subject to this issue. Until there is a fix in an update, Do this... Create a split second .qcp file on a typical Verizon phone using "voice record" and send it to your BB Curve by MMS or by transfer it to your memory card etc. (When recording press record and immediately press stop!!!) Save this in your ringtones folder on your BB and name it something like
    "1-BB QCP FIX". Put the "1" in front of it so it will be at the very top of your ringtones list on your BB Curve, etc. Then if the occasion arrises simply select the "BB QCP FIX" file and it will be played in the blink of an eye. Close out and your phone is back in working order without a soft reset or a battery pull. This is exactly what I have done on my BB Curve and I'm happy with the results. There's no other phone in the Verizon store that I would exchange my BB Curve for, so I decided to keep it and wait for RIM to fix this in an update... soon I hope. Until then, playing this little QCP file fixes this "dead sound" problem instantly with no waiting for the file to finish playing. I hope everyone else with this problem can use my simple advice and deal with this issue until a OS fix is made. Take a deep breath it's going to be OOOKKK!!!

***If any of you want to use my method just PM me with ur PIN and I can send you my .QCP file which is 1kb.***
    Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 06-19-08 at 06:17 PM. Reason: addition
    06-19-08 06:13 PM
    Way to go, a very cleaver and creative solution.

This should be moved to How To: Forum, it will continue to come up.
    06-19-08 06:18 PM
    This trick worked like a charm on my Curve....genius man, good lookin out
    07-02-08 07:19 PM
    Doing a "alt-rightshift-del" also reset mine and is now working, but I'd like to do this audio file trick next time. Problem is, my voice recorder seems to create amr files, not qcp files, so I don't know how to create one, or does it matter? I sent it to myself, but it still shows up as an amr file. So I guess if that won't work, I need to get this qcp file sent to me, or be told how to create one.

Thanks!
    09-02-08 09:15 AM
    There is another solution that is much faster then resetting the device.

Voice Activated Dialing will release the frozen speaker.
    09-02-08 11:25 AM
    There is another solution that is much faster then resetting the device.

Voice Activated Dialing will release the frozen speaker.
    Just by opening and closing that app, or do I actually have to attempt one call? Mine's not screwed up at the moment, so I can't test it right now.
    09-02-08 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD