i have been tring to connect to yahoo messenger on my 8900 curve frm tmobile i dont have a data plan but when i try to connect it says unable to connect to server ????? i thought all the im apps that come out of the bb went off sms and not data ???

any info would be cool
    03-18-09 04:30 PM
    what are your TCP/IP APN settings?
    03-18-09 04:38 PM
    All my IMs are counted as data.. So I don't know. Try a battery pull.
    03-18-09 04:38 PM
    Awhile back there were still a few IM applications that would use SMS instead of data, all of the IM apps now use data only...
    03-18-09 04:39 PM
    what are your TCP/IP APN settings?
    apn:wap.voicestream.com
    unchecked -apn authentication enabled
    username-blank
    password-blank
    03-18-09 04:41 PM
    Mine is tpc.tmobile.com and yahoo msgr works fine.
    03-18-09 04:48 PM
    you definitely need a data plan. As far as I know they all use data now, unless you put your phone number through yahoo itself, though I'm not sure they still offer the messaging forwarding service.
    03-18-09 04:51 PM
    i dont understand the point of having a bb without data
    03-18-09 04:56 PM
    Some just don't know you need data to fully enjoy everything the BB has to offer..
    03-18-09 05:00 PM
    Yahoo does not use the TCP settings at all, it uses the Blackberry Data Plan. I know for sure because my yahoo works just find and my carrier does not allow me access to the TCP settings.

Yahoo will not work without the data plan.
    03-18-09 06:16 PM
    btw, it doesn't work over wifi either. It is strictly data plan. Same for all other preinstalled messengers as far as I can tell.
    03-18-09 06:36 PM
    iam always in a wifi zone so why pay the 25 bucs when i can use what i need to use for free ???

i add the data plan when i go out of town
    03-18-09 06:44 PM
    You can download a 3rd party application that will work over WiFi. BeeJive is one but it is not free. There are also some free options available.

Keep in mind without a data plan you will not get push email, BB Messenger, etc. Also most Applications require Blackberry Internet Plan to work. Many are still available for WiFi but most need a Blackberry Internet Plan.
    03-18-09 06:49 PM
    btw, it doesn't work over wifi either. It is strictly data plan. Same for all other preinstalled messengers as far as I can tell.
    my yahoo messenger works on wifi...unless its switching to edge when i sign on but i am always on wifi at home. gonna test to be sure.
    03-18-09 08:57 PM
    my yahoo messenger works on wifi...unless its switching to edge when i sign on but i am always on wifi at home. gonna test to be sure.
    nope, it uses edge whether you are connected to wifi or not. I don't have a data plan so I rely on wifi only. I can't get any of the messengers to work.
    03-18-09 09:06 PM
    I just signed in to yahoo chatted for a few and my phone says its on wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 09:07 PM
    Just because your phone says it is on WiFi does not mean it is not also connected to EDGE. Yahoo Messenger uses your Blackberry Internet Plan, not WiFi. Go into Manage Connections and disable your Mobile Network connection and then you will notice that Yahoo will no longer work.
    03-18-09 09:10 PM
    I don't know how people are gettting yahoo to work on wifi....no luck here

03-18-09 09:12 PM
    Just because your phone says it is on WiFi does not mean it is not also connected to EDGE. Yahoo Messenger uses your Blackberry Internet Plan, not WiFi. Go into Manage Connections and disable your Mobile Network connection and then you will notice that Yahoo will no longer work.
    Oh ok. I didn't realize it could do that. I apolagize and stand corrected.

03-18-09 09:17 PM
    I don't know how people are gettting yahoo to work on wifi....no luck here
    3rd party apps. its the only way.
    03-18-09 09:20 PM
    i just wanna know... does the yahoo messenger(im) on curve 8900 cost something?
    08-05-09 02:32 AM
    does the im on blackberry curve 8900 cost you
    08-05-09 02:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD