I used to have a Palm Treo 680 and traded it in because a lot of features seemed to fail time after time to the point that I couldn't stand it anymore (after 6 months). Anyways. There are a few standard features on Palm phones that I miss on my new curve 8310. First, they have the switch to immediately switch from a tone ring to vibrate on the top of their phones, which was really convenient rather than having to use the track ball and go about it the way blackberry has it set up.

Another feature that I thought was great was being able to simply press the "end call" red key on the treo and it locks the keyboard and turns off the screen (which is a power saver). I realize the curve gets great battery life, but it was still nice being able to lock your keyboard that quickly.

I'm pretty excited about the new phones blackberry is coming out with, except for the kickstart because it seems a bit chunky, etc. just not my taste. I'm very interested to see how the Thunder (ThunderStorm?) stacks up against that other new phone from the fruit company.

Just my thoughts. The curve is great and I have no regrets with the switch. Any other wish list ideas out there? I'm sure these lists have been done a while back, but I just saw a video on the new Treo 800w for sprint and it got me thinking.

Rambling now, but would love to hear your thoughts. Also, any great new apps for the curve out there?

Thanks,

Dan
    07-24-08 08:55 PM
    to put your phone in standby mode hold the mute button on top of the phone is saves a ton of battery and some good apps are windows live search, the crackberry launcher CrackBerry.com WAP Homepage go here from your phones browser weather eye for viewing current temp and conditions
    07-24-08 08:58 PM
    Welcome to CB
    07-24-08 08:59 PM
    thanks for the quick responses. just loaded the CB launcher and seems to work just fine. i've seen an app on apples iphone called "urban spoon", which is a restaurant finder, but cant seem to find this for BB. any luck here? or something comparable maybe? this would be particularly useful for me as i just moved into a city.

thanks.
    07-24-08 09:21 PM
    There are a few things on my Curve wishlist like better video capabilities and larger resolution for the screen.

For the keyboard lock, I set my left side key as the keyboard lock so its fast, though I wish I didn't have to waste a key on that. For the profile changes, I set my right side key for that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 09:51 PM
    I love my curve. I just wish it spit out cash on demand.

07-24-08 09:55 PM
    First, they have the switch to immediately switch from a tone ring to vibrate on the top of their phones, which was really convenient rather than having to use the track ball and go about it the way blackberry has it set up.

Easy way around this : Set Profiles to a convenience key... or turn off dialing from HomeScreen and the 'F' button takes you right into profiles. ('F','V',trackball in that order would change to vibrate for me)

Another feature that I thought was great was being able to simply press the "end call" red key on the treo and it locks the keyboard and turns off the screen (which is a power saver). I realize the curve gets great battery life, but it was still nice being able to lock your keyboard that quickly.

Hold the Mute Button on top. Or, once again, turn off dialing from HomeScreen and the 'k' key locks the device!

Just my thoughts. The curve is great and I have no regrets with the switch. Any other wish list ideas out there? I'm sure these lists have been done a while back, but I just saw a video on the new Treo 800w for sprint and it got me thinking.

Many people complain that it is hard to compose a text message. Get the free app called qSMS. With dialing from home screen off, this allows the 'Q' ket to shortcut directly to the compose SMS screen!

Rambling now, but would love to hear your thoughts. Also, any great new apps for the curve out there?

People also criticize the default alarm on the Berry. Get BBSmart Alarms Pro (worth the money)... it is a much more functional app!! Also, JiveTalk is the best IM client around!

Thanks,

Dan
    Hope that helps!
    07-24-08 10:03 PM
    There is a restaurant locator in windows live search . Plus movies, directions, and maps

07-24-08 10:10 PM
    thanks bmcclure.
    im not into paying for apps but ive heard a lot of good things about the alarms app. i havent had any bad experiences with composing text messages, but ill check out qSMS to see what its all about.
    i also just got google talk on my curve, so ill take some time with that before trying jive talk. is that free by the way?

i have my conveniece keys set to my gmail and the other to my camera, so im not looking to change that. i appreciate the feedback though.
    07-24-08 10:13 PM
    Company made me do it. I wish I could get a GOOD chess program like Chess Genius. Also Isilo run like a snail on BB. I wish I had a stylus for a few programs. waiting for 4.5 for docs to go. Need a free converter program. weights & measures; Need a periodic table chart. Flight status. cube to name jus a few.

I am trying to make do.
    07-24-08 11:45 PM
    Your welcome!! Jivetalk is not free... But it is worth every penny on the price tag and MORE! If you I'm and need the function, it is well worth it... I would link you to it, but I am on WAP. I am sure someone will get a link for ya... Or search google for BeeJive JiveTalk!

QSMS is free and is just a handy, faster way to compose... Instead of going into messages then menu... Blah blah

07-25-08 12:01 AM
    used maxmem deleted my iberry theme need it back saw something about reloading the os on desktop manager but could someone please clarify the meaning of that
    thanks
    07-25-08 12:03 AM
    So how do you turn off dialing from the home screen? And wouldn't that make it so that you can't call from the homescreen? What exactly does it do?
    07-25-08 12:05 AM
    @tony: this is not the proper place to ask search the forum on how to do that!!

@ballinsol: open your phone application hit menu/options/general options/dial from home screen/no

This opens up a lot of functionality and shortcuts...
    B: browser
    K: lock
    F: profiles
    M: messages
    Etc to name a couple

To dial a number you can still use speed dial or just hit the green (send) button and dial as you normally would from home screen. The change is WELL worth it!!!!!

07-25-08 12:15 AM
    @tony: this is not the proper place to ask search the forum on how to do that!!

@ballinsol: open your phone application hit menu/options/general options/dial from home screen/no

This opens up a lot of functionality and shortcuts...
    B: browser
    K: lock
    F: profiles
    M: messages
    Etc to name a couple

To dial a number you can still use speed dial or just hit the green (send) button and dial as you normally would from home screen. The change is WELL worth it!!!!!

Wonderful explanation, as usual bmcclure!

Appreciated, as usual
    07-25-08 12:26 AM
    How could you even compare the treo to the BB. I had to reset mine everything I wanted to do something.
    07-25-08 12:39 AM
    I would love if the BB would lock AND unlock itself as it enters / exits the holster

Also I wish that it could grate cheese. That's all.

07-25-08 01:26 AM
    I believe it does set the keylock when it goes in the holster and unlocks it when you take it out

07-25-08 01:34 AM
    No , it only locks it. When you pull it out it is still locked and you have to press *& phone app to unlock. Try doing that a couple hundred times a day and it gets on your nerves.

07-25-08 01:37 AM
    I would love if the BB would lock AND unlock itself as it enters / exits the holster

Also I wish that it could grate cheese. That's all.

LOL
    07-25-08 07:28 AM
    No , it only locks it. When you pull it out it is still locked and you have to press *& phone app to unlock.
    That's gotta be a setting. Mine does not "Key Lock" in the holster, it behaves more like "Sleep" (Key Lock actually activates the screen to tell you it's locked. In the holster it stays dormant when a key is pressed). When removed from the holster, it's right back at the screen that it was on prior to holstering.
    07-25-08 08:19 AM
    ...I would link you to it, but I am on WAP....
    By running 2 browsers (Opera and BB) I have been able to scoop up the URL from one browser without loosing the place in the other.
    Simply launch the other browser, go to Edit Bookmark and copy the URL. yum.

On my PC, I use Firefox with multiple tabs open all the time. Being limited to a single Browser window on the BB would drive me nuts. At least running the 2 separate browsers helps.
    07-25-08 08:27 AM
    Yes it is a security setting to "lock the device upon holstering". I just wish it also unlocked upon unholstering.

I know when I slide my Berru into the OEM case it puts the screen to sleep and there have been several times while in the holster on my hip I have heard it say "please say a command" and even a couple more times I have heard "calling OLD Dominion , work" and I have to yank it quick as possible and end the call.

07-25-08 08:31 AM
    Yes it is a security setting to "lock the device upon holstering". I just wish it also unlocked upon unholstering.
    AHhhh.

...there have been several times while in the holster on my hip I have heard it say "please say a command" and even a couple more times I have heard "calling OLD Dominion , work" and I have to yank it quick as possible and end the call.
    that's pretty funny.
    07-25-08 09:00 AM
    How could you even compare the treo to the BB. I had to reset mine everything I wanted to do something.
    I wasn't necessarily trying to compare the two. I just mentioned I had a treo prior to the curve and that there were a few features palm had that I liked and wanted to see if there was something comparable on the curve. I'm sure its like that with any phone if you get used to using certain functions, you'd want something similar on your new phone.

07-25-08 11:26 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD