does anyone know?
    09-23-08 12:06 PM
    I've upgraded before without wiping and had no problems. I would backup your files & apps, then wipe it before upgrading though, just in case.
    09-23-08 01:08 PM
    It's certainly not mandatory. I believe those that follow that route believe it to give a cleaner install.
    09-23-08 01:14 PM
    It's certainly not mandatory. I believe those that follow that route believe it to give a cleaner install.
    This is totally correct. You don't have to if you don't want.
    09-23-08 01:16 PM
    ive never "wiped" mine. just follow the direction and in 1 hour you have new os. back your phone up though!
    09-23-08 01:17 PM
    The process of installing a new OS de-facto wipes the phone.

Some feel that it is better to wipe the phone prior to the install process wiping it anyhow.

The important thing to do is to sync your personal data first and then do a Backup too. The non-wipe install process will do a BAckup as well so now you have 3 copies of your data incase theres is a catastrophic failure.

I do not usually wipe my phone prior to upgrading but have done so if there is a problem.

I hope that this clarifies the process somewhat.
    09-23-08 01:19 PM
    Not mandatory at all, but it is personal preference to do a manual wipe before upgrading

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 01:23 PM
    No, its not a must. Some reccomend it, some don't. I do not wipe my device because the upgrading process is going to do it anyway.

09-23-08 01:23 PM
    I have done 3 upgrades without wiping.
    09-23-08 01:35 PM
    No, its not a must. Some reccomend it, some don't. I do not wipe my device because the upgrading process is going to do it anyway.

The reason that many wipe first is to clean the old OS out (back to JVM 507) thus giving the new OS a completly clean slate from which to work.

It is false to say that it is not neccessary becuase there are times when a wipe is the ONLY way.

This is not a clear cut issue and my first post explains this. To some extent this is personal but there are also technical reasons too.
    09-23-08 01:37 PM
    Yes I agree with you. I was simply stating that I don't wipe my device before an upgrade. And the OP's question was is wiping mandetory, and its not.

09-23-08 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD