Hi all...

I want to upgrade to a BB before the year ends. I'm on AT&T and I'm looking at a few BB's they have/will release.

I like that the Bold has 3G but I hate its size.... however I LOVE the size/camera of the 8900 but am concerned about running just EDGE (I do a lot of web browsing).... and I wanted the upcoming BB Onyx 9700 but it will just cost too much when it releases I'm guessing, so I can't really wait for a price drop.

In the SF Bay Area 3G is okay....at my house I never get full bars on 3G and my dumbphone usually just goes to EDGE.

If I get the 8900 will I be missing anything? I know 3G is good for faster web browsing but I don't know... Please help me out! I've had my current 3G dumbphone since Dec 07 BTW.

OH, and I want to upgrade at Wal-Mart cause they might be cheaper too, so I'll be going there soon.
    08-21-09 05:36 PM
    If you have wifi at your house you can browse with that and you will not miss 3G at all.

Doc
    08-21-09 05:53 PM
    you wont even notice a diffrence....8900 is awesome
    08-21-09 05:54 PM
    I have played with a 3G phone vs the 8900 and the benifit of sometimes getting a faster page load doesn't out weight the battery depleting of the 3g radio.....IMO of course!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 06:12 PM
    Honestly, I tested my 8900 on EDGE vs my friends Bold on 3G here in Vegas.... Not much of a difference at all. As mentioned above, if you have WIFI at your house.... You are SET.
    08-21-09 06:19 PM
    Only differences are in heavy streaming apps. Pandora, slacker, slingbox. While they all work without 3G, they work much better with 3G. If you don't use those apps, then you will never miss 3G with your regualr browsing.
    08-21-09 06:25 PM
    yeah my pandora is flawless even with weak EDGE
    08-21-09 06:30 PM
    You tube and other streaming music are noticeably faster on 3G.

08-21-09 06:33 PM
    EDGE on the 8900 isn't terrible. I tethered my BB to my laptop earlier, and I was surprised that it wasn't much faster than the DSL network I was connected to.
    WiFi @ home=better than 3g.
    Are you that concerned about 3g? EDGE isn't bad at all.
    08-21-09 07:09 PM
    I have played with a 3G phone vs the 8900 and the benifit of sometimes getting a faster page load doesn't out weight the battery depleting of the 3g radio.....IMO of course!

Yep...my current phone doesn't have very good battery life. =/

I DO have wifi at my house! I'll definitely keep the 8900 in mind. 3G isn't even well-covered in my area anyhow...
    08-21-09 07:28 PM
    I got my 8900 from walmart for $0.99. Well worth it. As far as 3g goes I honestly doubt that you will even notice its not there. My pandora and youtube work great. And even faster when at home with wifi

08-21-09 07:40 PM
    A couple of my co-workers have the G1 and I think that phone supports 3G. Their web browsing is faster than my EDGE. However I have my WiFi set up to connect to the WiFi network at work and WiFi on my 8900 is right there with the 3G speeds.

My phone also connects to WiFi when I'm at home so not having 3G doesn't bother me at all. The only time I really notice not having 3G is when I am out and about and connected to EDGE.
    08-23-09 11:14 AM
    A couple of my co-workers have the G1 and I think that phone supports 3G. Their web browsing is faster than my EDGE. However I have my WiFi set up to connect to the WiFi network at work and WiFi on my 8900 is right there with the 3G speeds.

My phone also connects to WiFi when I'm at home so not having 3G doesn't bother me at all. The only time I really notice not having 3G is when I am out and about and connected to EDGE.
    I had the G1 before getting the 8900 and IMO when I use opera mini on my blackberry the browser loads at just about the same speed as the G1 on 3g.
    08-23-09 11:19 AM
    i went from a sidekick lx 09 (A 3G Phone) to the 8900. and i dont miss 3g at all. i have wifi in my house if i really wanna browse faster. and even when im out and around. when i dl apps or browse web. its actually pretty fast just on the EDGE signal.
    08-23-09 04:24 PM
    i went from an iphone 3g which i loved to tmobile and the 8900. i love tmobile and the 8900 but i miss 3g like nobodies business
    08-23-09 07:38 PM
    I live in a area that will never see 3g.

08-23-09 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD