i have the 5.99 plan for internet.. on my iphone for unlimited data. if i get the 8900 will it work on it?

and if i get it on amazon, then would i have to get a new number? thanks.
    03-09-09 12:00 AM
    No, you need to get a Blackberry Internet Plan with a Blackberry device.

The Amazon offer is for new contracts only, so yes.
    03-09-09 12:11 AM
    ehhhhhh, I wouldn't say yes, but in some ways it does still work...but really on the internet broswer works with it.....my friend has t-zones on his and his internet browser works, a little slower though....no email or BBM though.....but yes on google maps
    03-09-09 12:15 AM
    hm, no email? do the apps work on wifi? i';ve been reading and it doesn't seem like it... they really want you to get the internet plan i guess.

i want the 8900 for the keyboard and the apps. but i'm not so sure, the 20 dollar plan is within my reach but i'd just rather not pay that much per month when i have wifi.
    03-09-09 12:20 AM
    You can't use all apps without the Blackberry Data plan. Most apps on the Blackberry require the data plan to work. So does BB Push Mail, Blackberry Messenger, etc.

With that said you can get 3rd party applications that will work over WiFi. You can get good functionality out of them but you can not get everything the Blackberry Data Plan will offer you. Also you will be limited to data through a WiFi connection. For more information just search around, there are MANY threads on this very topic already.
    03-09-09 12:24 AM
    Like Aristile said, some apps don't work without the BB plan.....but if you want you should try the t-zones plan and see how it works, if you don't already have t-zones, its not available to get anyways
    03-09-09 12:28 AM
    I find it hard to believe the apps won't work without a 'BB Data Plan'. If your settings are right I think everything should work fine. I've used the t-zones hack on 3 different phones so far, and EVERYTHING worked.

I'm in the same boat as you, I need the .net rarely when wifi isn't available, and would rather not pay 20/month for minimal EDGE usage. I get my 8900 tomorrow in the mail, so I will mess with it and let you know.
    03-09-09 01:07 AM
    I find it hard to believe the apps won't work without a 'BB Data Plan'. If your settings are right I think everything should work fine. I've used the t-zones hack on 3 different phones so far, and EVERYTHING worked.

I'm in the same boat as you, I need the .net rarely when wifi isn't available, and would rather not pay 20/month for minimal EDGE usage. I get my 8900 tomorrow in the mail, so I will mess with it and let you know.
    I can guarantee that if you do not have a Blackberry Data Plan then you will not get Blackberry Push Mail nor Blackberry Messenger. So that is not everything.
    03-09-09 01:26 AM
    There is no real t-zone hack on the blackberry like you would on an iphone or something, its different, because of the PUSH services....you would not receive those for sure!
    03-09-09 01:40 AM
    You could use the tzones browser...a bit slower, but it does the job!

This is fine if BB Push Email and BBM aren't important to you.

If you don't care about those two features and just want to use Wi-Fi for your apps and Tzones for your web on the go, then don't get the BIS.
    03-09-09 01:53 AM

No, they won't work. The reason is that a lot of apps are made by RIM themselves. And these apps need to communicate with RIM's servers. Without a BB Data plan, you won't be able to connect to these servers.

I imagine T-zones would work for the browser and some 3rd party apps though, just like some apps work if you only use wifi

IMO if you're not using the BB data plan, I'd go for an E71 or something unlocked. Unlocked phones can use T-zones and Web2Go as full data plans. Meaning you can get your email, IM, etc with the cheap internet plans. But I don't think this will work if you're using a locked down TMo phone
    03-09-09 01:55 AM
    I've used it with a locked Dash, and MotoQ.. And the usual iPhone hack. Are there any 3rd party email apps? If so, that would eliminate that problem. As for BBM, I'm not too sure..

Hey thanks for talking this out with me guys, I'm new to the BB world but have been a heavy smartphone user for a while. A lot of communities are pretty rude and stuck up, but you guys are great!
    03-09-09 08:27 AM
    Agreed, you wont have Push Email (or I believe no email at all since it is configured through BIS), most BB applications wont work, and Blackberry Messenger wont work either.

Why even use a blackberry then?

I can guarantee that if you do not have a Blackberry Data Plan then you will not get Blackberry Push Mail nor Blackberry Messenger. So that is not everything.
    03-09-09 11:10 AM
    If I could get email through a 3rd party App, I could deal without any other BB App.

Why use a blackberry without BBM? I dunno, 3.2MP camera, beautiful screen, fast processor, beautiful phone with my favorite keyboard (8300), read/edit microsoft files, etc. There's a lot more to the phone than just the business side.
    03-09-09 11:39 AM
    Just search the forum for "No Data Plan" and you should get tons of threads. All these basically apply to you the same way since you will not have an actual Blackberry Data Plan.

You can also put this into google: no data plan 8900 site:forums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 12:40 PM
    You might want to look into unlocking the phone. As far as 'm concerned, unlocking it allows you to fully use T-zones as if it were a real data plan and not a proxy web browser that only shows mobile pages
    03-09-09 03:59 PM
    Just an update, BBM and BB email don't work. AIM Gmail and everything else works great. 5.99 woohooo!
    03-09-09 07:00 PM
    If I could get email through a 3rd party App, I could deal without any other BB App.

Why use a blackberry without BBM? I dunno, 3.2MP camera, beautiful screen, fast processor, beautiful phone with my favorite keyboard (8300), read/edit microsoft files, etc. There's a lot more to the phone than just the business side.
    Check the app store for logic mail that one will lt you get imap and pop email through t-zones, the browser (in t-mobile mode) also works on t-zones, and some other apps like google maps, etc...
    04-01-09 04:56 PM
    Agreed, you wont have Push Email (or I believe no email at all since it is configured through BIS), most BB applications wont work, and Blackberry Messenger wont work either.

Why even use a blackberry then?
    because

not everyone needs push e-mail (i use the GMAIL app, which provides more functionality anyway)
    i don't communicate with many other blackberry users
    and i use beejive to handle all of my instant messaging needs

i get by just fine with the 5.99 plan. all 3rd party apps work. only thing that will get me to switch over is if RIM releases their own worthwhile software in the app store.
    04-01-09 06:21 PM
    A friend of mine picked up an 8320 and got everything working EXCEPT FOR BBMessenger and BBMail... HOWEVER, he did find 2 other push emailers that did work with his present gmail accounts... It was a matter of creating an account and linking it to his BB and Gmail... There was also a process of deleting the BB Browser and then reinstalling a non-BB Service Browser... His Internet worked exactly as mine... With his email set up his mail took about 10 mins to hit his phone vs instantly with BBMail... There was no fix for BBMessenger tho... Overall, it was as suspected by many, it is possible to use a BB effectively with out the BB Data Plan... It does take a little work and research tho...

He specifically said Crackberry WAS NOT the place to get help on this, but there was plenty of information elsewhere on the web... If I didn't ditch my $5.99 T-Zones unlimited last year, I'd probably be on this too...
    Last edited by Risingsun124; 04-01-09 at 06:28 PM.
    04-01-09 06:22 PM
    NAY!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 06:23 PM
    Shengmail or Shangmail and Funambol both worked for the mail... Funambol got jammed up and kept sending the same email over and over... That's why he tried Shangmail and got that one working as well... I don't know much about it other than he was testing it on me and all weekend I got the same f'n email from Funambol... Ultimately they both work...
    04-01-09 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD