My carrier, Lebara UK, uses the Vodafone network and I've read here that Vodafone will switch off 3G next year. The article says 'if you have a 3G phone, you’ll be switched over to our 2G network'.

Will I still be able to use data on 2G on my 9320, or only call and text?
    09-29-22 02:01 PM
    My carrier, Lebara UK, uses the Vodafone network and I've read here that Vodafone will switch off 3G next year. The article says 'if you have a 3G phone, you’ll be switched over to our 2G network'.

Will I still be able to use data on 2G on my 9320, or only call and text?
    You already can't use data over mobile, as BIS has been shut down.
    09-29-22 03:37 PM
    You already can't use data over mobile, as BIS has been shut down.
    Very few "mobile" websites, designed for low bandwidth these days... I wonder what it would take to open a webpage at 2G transfer speeds? Or even download a typical html rich email?
    09-29-22 04:01 PM
    I can currently use BB Browser and Opera Mini on mobile.

I've used 2G before and it's very slow but better than nothing. Will it still work?
    09-30-22 12:51 AM
    I can currently use BlackBerry Browser and Opera Mini over mobile.

I've used 2G before and it's better than nothing. Will it still work?
    09-30-22 01:03 AM
    Very few "mobile" websites, designed for low bandwidth these days... I wonder what it would take to open a webpage at 2G transfer speeds? Or even download a typical html rich email?
    funny you should ask, before I reset my PRIV for some reason it was locking in on 2G only. Just to load a weather map would take almost 10 minutes. Was a good reminder on how far we have come.
    09-30-22 07:51 AM
    funny you should ask, before I reset my PRIV for some reason it was locking in on 2G only. Just to load a weather map would take almost 10 minutes. Was a good reminder on how far we have come.
    A serious problem nowadays, in my opinion. There needs to also be, in my opinion, a focus on still being able to do urgent/critical exchanges (checking the weather, paying bills, sending money, quick messaging, information disseminated in hurricane or other emergency situations, for example) reliably and using very small data streams. All the richness of content nowadays is fine/great (well, actually it's not because lots of it is focused around advertising and consumerism, but that's a different topic). However, there needs to still also be a no frills method for some of it with a very very very basic connection construct no bigger than maybe 1G, voice, SMS (in my opinion).
    09-30-22 08:40 AM
    A serious problem nowadays, in my opinion. There needs to also be, in my opinion, a focus on still being able to do urgent/critical exchanges (checking the weather, paying bills, sending money, quick messaging, information disseminated in hurricane or other emergency situations, for example) reliably and using very small data streams. All the richness of content nowadays is fine/great (well, actually it's not because lots of it is focused around advertising and consumerism, but that's a different topic). However, there needs to still also be a no frills method for some of it with a very very very basic connection construct no bigger than maybe 1G, voice, SMS (in my opinion).
    In an emergency situation, Carriers are able to flip a switch and limit everyone's bandwidth to allow for more traffic. Might not be able to stream a show anymore, but can get information. And I know both VZW and ATT have dedicated bandwidth for 1st Responders.

The real issue in emergency... like a hurricane, earthquake or fire, is if the hardlines, network equipment, and towers - will they be operational. I know here in Panama City, with hurricane Michael they weren't. Towers fell, Antennas blow off towers, remote locations depended on fiber ran overhead... that was all down, and much of the AT&T networking equipment was damaged as well. And generators only had enough fuel for a day or two.... So didn't matter what type of radio network you had.

Do like the idea of using Satellite communications in an emergency. Right now that's very limited with new iPhones and basic texting, but can see this idea growing as technology improves.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-30-22 09:00 AM
    Agree that the critical bottleneck is still the physical infrastructure, but when everyone is trying to connect to rich content services/sites in the emergency scenarios (because they don't know better and/or there aren't alternatives), it doesn't help and then things bog down (or their streams bog down), and then people start freaking out, not knowing if grandma is still alive or dead, for example.
    09-30-22 09:06 AM
    Agree that the critical bottleneck is still the physical infrastructure, but when everyone is trying to connect to rich content services/sites in the emergency scenarios (because they don't know better and/or there aren't alternatives), it doesn't help and then things bog down (or their streams bog down), and then people start freaking out, not knowing if grandma is still alive or dead, for example.
    Your looking for a problem that does not exist, all carriers monitor traffic and when emergency services or in an emergency all speeds get reduced period.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-30-22 10:06 AM
    Your looking for a problem that does not exist, all carriers monitor traffic and when emergency services or in an emergency all speeds get reduced period.
    Agree...

There are still issues, but it's not because grandma neighbors are trying to watch Netflix or Disney+.

5G allows for a great many more concurrent connections than LTE did... compared to 1G it's a whole different world. Combined with the active load monitoring and ability to control bandwidth and connections that's not the weak point.

Issues would be either the carriers infostructure - the providing network infostructure. Or more likly that grandma is still using an old analog landline, and those networks are very limited on concurrent connections now, as most the MaBells have gutted them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-30-22 10:18 AM
    During the Canada wide Rogers fiasco recently, it seems that other carriers were throttling things back because more things were also temporarily piggybacking onto their networks. I wasn't Rodgers, but at times I couldn't even get to the WeatherNetwork site (or via the WeatherNetwork app). Same thing during the freak windstorm event that happened in my area a few months earlier, when many folks were without power for up to a week.

I am not convinced that things are focused anymore for also urgent critical communications. Too much push over the years to "just provide a big pipe and then everything/anything within that will be possible".
    09-30-22 11:31 AM
    During the Canada wide Rogers fiasco recently, it seems that other carriers were throttling things back because more things were also temporarily piggybacking onto their networks. I wasn't Rodgers, but at times I couldn't even get to the WeatherNetwork site (or via the WeatherNetwork app). Same thing during the freak windstorm event that happened in my area a few months earlier, when many folks were without power for up to a week.

I am not convinced that things are focused anymore for also urgent critical communications. Too much push over the years to "just provide a big pipe and then everything/anything within that will be possible".
    We were without power for nearly a month after a freak hurricane here.... only so much can be done.

100% network providers are working to offer "critical communications".... self driving cars will depend on it, remote surgical operations can't happen without it. But we have to accept that their are some circumstances that are just "freakish" and beyond the ability of Utilities to plan for. (first world problems)

Bottom line is 5G is in a much better position to handle emergency traffic than 1G was, so it's pointless to keep it for that purpose. Both deepened on infrastructure being in place after an event happens - and that just often isn't the case.
    09-30-22 11:55 AM
    ...Bottom line is 5G is in a much better position to handle emergency traffic than 1G was, so it's pointless to keep it for that purpose. Both deepened on infrastructure being in place after an event happens - and that just often isn't the case.
    Oh I wasn't suggesting to keep 1G for critical communcations. Instead, just a bit of a refocus to ensure critical streams and services aren't designed to assume that so much of 5G will always be available. Then, many of them could be prioritized to still work well in an emergency situation, within 5G for example.
    09-30-22 12:10 PM

Canada is quite different than the United States, as we have multiple carriers also our rate plans are much cheaper than that and we have a much more diversified network. Right now in Florida The carriers are now sharing bandwidth and allowing roaming uninterrupted on each network in the United States we have a much different response than we do up in Canada
    09-30-22 01:14 PM
    Canada is quite different than the United States, as we have multiple carriers also our rate plans are much cheaper than that and we have a much more diversified network. Right now in Florida The carriers are now sharing bandwidth and allowing roaming uninterrupted on each network in the United States we have a much different response than we do up in Canada
    Sure, but the non-problem I was mentioning about will be there also.
    09-30-22 02:07 PM
    Sure, but the non-problem I was mentioning about will be there also.
    The upgrade system wide has been advertised for years now, if people have issues it’s their own fault
    10-17-22 04:52 PM
    The upgrade system wide has been advertised for years now, if people have issues it’s their own fault
    You mean if people haven't converted over for the transitions that are happening in the US? If so, I agree completely with what you just posted, but that's not related to what was being specifically discussed for what you quoted.

I'll agree with you. The person you just responded to is on a 3g plan.
    I agree with him also for what I think he is referring to, subject to also what I mentioned in my response above.

Yes, the plan I am on is indeed basically supposed to mainly be "spare 3G not used by Telus", and if not then its 4G or LTE. However, not sure if my phone ever shows 3G. Almost always shows 4G or LTE.
    10-17-22 08:19 PM
    I'll agree with you. The person you just responded to is on a 3g plan.
    3G speed might be more accurate. Public Mobile operates on 4G/LTE networks as well - just throttles the network down to "3G speeds" for the users on those speed plans. They now offer 4G speed plans as well since a few months.
    10-17-22 08:25 PM
    3G speed might be more accurate. Public Mobile operates on 4G/LTE networks as well - just throttles the network down to "3G speeds" for the users on those speed plans. They now offer 4G speed plans as well since a few months.
    That sounds about right I think.
    10-17-22 08:28 PM
    However, not sure if my phone ever shows 3G. Almost always shows 4G or LTE.
    It will show 4G when it's really on 3G, which would be in 4G dead spots or while on a call.
    10-17-22 08:30 PM
    I see H+ sometimes, usually in sparsely inhabited neighbourhoods, ie detached dwellings, no apartment towers. Does that somehow connect to the 3G/4G/LTE thing?
    10-17-22 08:38 PM
    I see H+ sometimes, usually in sparsely inhabited neighbourhoods, ie detached dwellings, no apartment towers. Does that somehow connect to the 3G/4G/LTE thing?
    "H+" is HSPA+, a subset or the enhanced 3G.

It's what T-Mobile, then AT&T, decided to market as "4G" (just so they could say "we got 4G") back before real 4G came along in the form of LTE.

Now, this was only in the US. In the rest of the world, the indicator was "H+". When LTE came along elsewhere, then everyone saw "4G". In they US, they had to go with "LTE" or "4G-LTE".

So, for a while there, "4G" meant different things depending on what part of the world you were at.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-17-22 08:52 PM
    "H+" is HSPA+, a subset or the enhanced 3G.

It's what T-Mobile, then AT&T, decided to market as "4G" (just so they could say "we got 4G") back before real 4G came along in the form of LTE.

Now, this was only in the US. In the rest of the world, the indicator was "H+". When LTE came along elsewhere, then everyone saw "4G". In they US, they had to go with "LTE" or "4G-LTE".

So, for a while there, "4G" meant different things depending on what part of the world you were at.
    Think I understood that. my canada phone shows either LTE and rarely H+. I had though H+ was a fallback band for when there wasn't any working LTE.
    10-17-22 09:10 PM
    Complaining about post disappearing and now we have users disappearing….
    Thud Hardsmack and john_v like this.
    10-19-22 09:10 AM
32 12