I realize there is no real answer as of yet but I have heard speculation that the 8300 series will not get os v5.0. I understand that there are issues with the requirements necessary to run a more complex os but wouldn't you think that the #1 selling BlackBerry device would get some form of 5.0 love? I mean, they can do just about anything nowadays with technology right? There are alot of Curve owners out there and I would think that RIM would want to satisfy them as well (considering that they might be the largest group of BlackBerry owners and all). Also, If I am wrong about the 8300 series being the #1 selling BlackBerry please correct me (maybe it is just the fact that it outsold the Iphone that is making me assume that). Let me know what your opinions are?
    06-18-09 08:34 AM
    I haven't heard anything about the Curves getting 5.0...I do know that the tour has been testing it and will get it though.
    06-18-09 08:37 AM
    RIM doesn't care so much with satisfying users of older phones, as they do with selling new ones. (and that is not slamming RIM, just stating a fact) Just like every other piece of computer equipment, support will dwindle, until the device is labeled completely obsolete and stops completely.

They can't afford to keep people assigned to maintaining older devices while trying to keep their newer ones right up there with the other top devices.
    06-18-09 08:40 AM
    RIM doesn't care so much with satisfying users of older phones, as they do with selling new ones. (and that is not slamming RIM, just stating a fact) Just like every other piece of computer equipment, support will dwindle, until the device is labeled completely obsolete and stops completely.

They can't afford to keep people assigned to maintaining older devices while trying to keep their newer ones right up there with the other top devices.
    Excellent point! I suppose I am being seflish in that I do not have the opportunity to upgrade, yet I would like to share in the spoils of the new OS.
    06-18-09 08:49 AM
    I think on the review kevin here had on 5.0 (or a 5.0 device) it stated only devices currently running 4.6 or higher would be able to get the 5.0 upgrade.

And as the other guy stated, why should they continue to support and "upgrade" an older phone for free, when they could push those people with the older phones to buy a new one and spend money. It's just business.
    06-18-09 08:51 AM
    and i was just about to open a thread. Folks what is there soo special about OS 5.0? i am new to bb its my 3rd day . I am still reading posts and threads around here and researching on it. Lets say we dont get version 5.0 what are we missing out on? Speed? Features? Or anything special.

I just bought my curve 8330 and its my first one so i have no clue what this OS 5.0 is, i will do my experiments this coming weekend by installing theme and what not . lets see
    06-18-09 08:55 AM
    I suppose the Curve does have a rather "Solid" OS and if the current Curve owner needs something "More" in a phone it would be the logical step to get a new one. Thanks for the responses! I was just curious as to what others perspectives were. Also, it is a business and I am very thankful for the improvements and the number of devices on the horizon for RIM. In addition, I am going to get the Tour somehow.
    06-18-09 08:59 AM
    tour is my next one too if it comes on june 22nd i will get it if not i will wait for it for an year so .. in a nutshell i am really *HOPING* it comes out on June 22nd in Canada, so i can get my curve exchaged with tour.
    06-18-09 09:02 AM
    and i was just about to open a thread. Folks what is there soo special about OS 5.0? i am new to bb its my 3rd day . I am still reading posts and threads around here and researching on it. Lets say we dont get version 5.0 what are we missing out on? Speed? Features? Or anything special.

I just bought my curve 8330 and its my first one so i have no clue what this OS 5.0 is, i will do my experiments this coming weekend by installing theme and what not . lets see
    I'd be willing to bet that many of the benefits of that OS would actually be detrimental to older devices. Just like Windows upgrades, they end up with higher system requirements as well.

And IMO, let everyone else work the bugs out, then by time we are ready to upgrade they'll be rock solid.
    06-18-09 09:04 AM
    actually jim, i was thinking about that. Specially for my situation i am NOT used to blackberry , i had used almost every NOKIA device , so i know what these software upgrades mean. But i have no clue about Black berry in that case i can wait for an year and by that time we will actually know which is the "best" phone out there, new things come out and then they figure out upgrades and tweaks here and there. So in any case , would you advice me to stick with my curve? remember its my first ever BB so i am loving it already, i have no clue lol if its suppose to be good or a bad fone
    06-18-09 09:06 AM
    I find it curious that so many people seem obsessed with updating their OS the minute they get a device. I'm so glad to have a solid machine that works without a whole bunch of 3rd party apps (as opposed to most win mo devices) that I'll be happy to keep it for 2 years with no update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 09:07 AM
    I find it curious that so many people seem obsessed with updating their OS the minute they get a device. I'm so glad to have a solid machine that works without a whole bunch of 3rd party apps (as opposed to most win mo devices) that I'll be happy to keep it for 2 years with no update.

I agree with you 1000000%. I have made comments a lot in the short time I have been on this forum and in fact I made one earlier today in the Mac area. A person was worried about whether to buy a Mac or Windows laptop, strictly because of Mac's limitations with upgrading their Blackberry.

New users come here and mix freely with the obsessive geek (using that term with the utmost love ) who needs to be on top of the version chain at all costs. That is their fun, but then sometimes others get sucked in, either wanting to become a geek or unknowingly because they feel their device is lacking somehow with an update.

All cell phones have updates of some kind, be it firmware or PRLs, yet we never worried about them before and went on our merry way for years.

.....but then again, they do call them Crackberrys.
    06-18-09 09:26 AM
    AFAIK 5.0 is in Beta testing but there have been no leaks of it. I remember see a pic of it some time ago.

06-18-09 09:28 AM
    actually jim, i was thinking about that. Specially for my situation i am NOT used to blackberry , i had used almost every NOKIA device , so i know what these software upgrades mean. But i have no clue about Black berry in that case i can wait for an year and by that time we will actually know which is the "best" phone out there, new things come out and then they figure out upgrades and tweaks here and there. So in any case , would you advice me to stick with my curve? remember its my first ever BB so i am loving it already, i have no clue lol if its suppose to be good or a bad fone
    I got my first BB only a month ago and all I can say is from what I have read here, we have a good solid device and it should easily keep us going for a few more years, if need be. Think about it, it's a phone and it's loaded with tons of features, even if you don't install a single 3rd party app, all those things will work forever.

Granted down the road app developers may start to see that creating something for the older OS's is either not good business for them or is just plain too much work to port over and it may get lonely for us.
    06-18-09 09:31 AM
    Here is a beta 5.0 OS from Lyricidal:http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/833...d-beta-245836/

even if the 83xx series is not supported by RIM when the official 5.0 is launched, there will be people making it..no doubt about it.
    06-18-09 09:39 AM
    First of all, everyone calls the 8330 an OLDER phone. Well, it's still being sold as a new phone by verizon and others.

So, my arguement is, if they arent going to support it with upgrades, I think it's sorta cheesey to keep selling them.

Sell them still and support them still. They are not an older phone if sold as new still by all the carriers.

if someone is going to buy a new curve at retail, they are still paying a few hundred, dont you think those people and current users deserve to buy a piece of equipment that will be supported? Now where does it say the 8330's are being discontinued (fire sale!! LOL).

That's my argument. If I knew the 8330 wasnt to be supported, I wouldn't have bought it. That's bad business if you ask me.
    06-18-09 09:54 AM
    First of all, everyone calls the 8330 an OLDER phone. Well, it's still being sold as a new phone by verizon and others.

So, my arguement is, if they arent going to support it with upgrades, I think it's sorta cheesey to keep selling them.

Sell them still and support them still. They are not an older phone if sold as new still by all the carriers.

if someone is going to buy a new curve at retail, they are still paying a few hundred, dont you think those people and current users deserve to buy a piece of equipment that will be supported? Now where does it say the 8330's are being discontinued (fire sale!! LOL).

That's my argument. If I knew the 8330 wasnt to be supported, I wouldn't have bought it. That's bad business if you ask me.

Microsoft is up to Windows Vista, yet millions of users still use XP. If something new comes out for Vista, they are not adding it to XP. If a bug is discovered for XP it will be fixed certainly but you will not get new features.

So don't worry, your 8330 is supported.
    06-18-09 10:14 AM
    If I knew the 8330 wasnt to be supported, I wouldn't have bought it. That's bad business if you ask me.
    +1

I feel the exact same way. I wanted a blackberry in April, not a touch screen, so logically I got the 8330. Now if someone had told me that it wasn't going to get an upgrade and was going to be left in the dust, there's no way I would have bought this phone.
    06-18-09 10:14 AM
    +1

I feel the exact same way. I wanted a blackberry in April, not a touch screen, so logically I got the 8330. Now if someone had told me that it wasn't going to get an upgrade and was going to be left in the dust, there's no way I would have bought this phone.
    (rhetorical question)
    Again, why do you NEED this upgrade? Why will your 8330 be crippled without it?

This OS is not even on the market yet. When it is out for a year and they are still selling devices that can not use, then maybe there is support for this argument.
    06-18-09 10:18 AM
    (rhetorical question)
    Again, why do you NEED this upgrade? Why will your 8330 be crippled without it?

This OS is not even on the market yet. When it is out for a year and they are still selling devices that can not use, then maybe there is support for this argument.
    I don't need it. I want it.

Same reason people don't need 50 inch flat screen TV's. They want them because of all the new features.
    06-18-09 10:20 AM
    I don't need it. I want it.

Same reason people don't need 50 inch flat screen TV's. They want them because of all the new features.
    Using TV reference, if 50" was the largest Sony TV you could buy today, so you bought one. Then a month later you read Sony is working on a 60" and will be releasing it sometime in the future.........did Sony somehow dupe you?

..and don't get me wrong I see your side of the argument as well, but there will always be that turnover point, especially with electronics........and we are at that point now with our 8330's. It's their oldest phone still available. (I think)
    Last edited by Jim W; 06-18-09 at 10:32 AM. Reason: grammar fix
    06-18-09 10:29 AM
    Using TV reference, if 50" was the largest Sony TV you could buy today, so you bought one. Then a month later you read Sony is working on a 60" and will be releasing it sometime in the future.........did Sony somehow dupe you?

..and don't get me wrong I see your side of the argument as well, but there will always be that turnover point, especially with electronics........and we are at that point now with our 8330's. It's their oldest phone still available. (I think)

I'm not mad they have a new model out, i'm mad that they won't released an update for my phone because they want me to buy a new one.

I know why RIM is doing this, and I understand they could care less about me and my issues I'm just mad that I paid a bunch of money 2 months ago for a device that will be technologically behind everything else (in terms of OS) in 3-4 months.

and nope, VZW is still selling the BlackBerry 8703e
    06-18-09 10:37 AM
    Microsoft is up to Windows Vista, yet millions of users still use XP. If something new comes out for Vista, they are not adding it to XP. If a bug is discovered for XP it will be fixed certainly but you will not get new features.

So don't worry, your 8330 is supported.
    Yeah, and Microsoft is getting lots of LOVE for Vista from XP users who wont switch over or find it less than cost effective.

There are supported features in 5.0 that arent in the latest versions and hybrids that would make the phone better. Better memory support, faster interface, calendar to task support, faster browsing..etc.

So, buying a NEW 8330 doesnt sound that all appealing now, AFTER the fact...and carriers are selling them as NEW devices.

Its a matter of preference as to functionality of a new device. Maybe you don't care, but others do after spending a few hundred on a new phone. That's all.
    06-18-09 12:26 PM

Not exactly true. This company continues working on the OS of older devices and continues making enhancements to them. Might not be the main focus, but they still accomidate it.
    06-18-09 12:42 PM
    why do you need/want a new upgrade on the curve it is already a solid model and i see no reason for it needing a new OS. if you want something newer get a newer phone.
    06-18-09 01:13 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD