Okay, I have looked all over this thread and not found a solution to my problem.

Just got the 8320 Curve from TMo, no data plan. Got home an tried to connect to my WiFi network. I was able to connect, and even got the web browser to work. However, after only a couple minutes of browsing, I would get kicked off of the network. Every time I reconnected, the same thing would happen - get kicked off after about 2 minutes. I tried taking off the password, un-restricting the MAC Address access, nothing. I tried changing the broadcast channel too, still didn't work.

Now for some reason I can't even connect at all. Either that, or it says I connected even tho the WiFi logo is still grayed out and I can't browse the web.

I have a Linksys router. Don't really want to reset it but I guess if I have to I could.

Is it at all possible that the wireless receiver on my MacBook is somehow interfering with the BB picking up the signal? I can connect just fine with the MacBook.
    06-28-08 12:34 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

If I understand correctly, you were able to connect and use the Browser, but after a short time, your Browser would fail.

Were you getting any error messages?

There are a couple reasons that communications can fail, most common is weak signal strength due to distance from the transmitter.

Another common cause is pollution in a high density neighbourhood. If others are using the same channel, there will be interference. The culprit could be a garage door opener or a neighbours portable home phone. That is why they call it unlicensed.

Start with a site survey. Connections / Wifi Options / Wifi Diagnostic / Site Survey.

This will show you all the nearby SSID broadcasting devices, usually routers. Look for strong signals and a channel conflict. Most routers default to channel 6.

The way the channels are allocated means Channel 1 and 11 are the least likely to experience interference.

Keep in mind, there are other sources of pollution you can not see. Your neighbours phone for example. In some places the pollution is so bad Wifi is unusable.
    06-28-08 01:58 PM
    Nice job stoner, I had the same problem with my 8320 and reconfigured the channel on my router and all worked out fine.
    06-28-08 02:05 PM
    Stoner,

The message I got once I was kicked off was the "Need a WiFi Connection" alert.

I did the site survey. My device was originally on channel 6, so I moved it to 5. Same problem. I noticed a neighbor's router was on 11 with another on 4, so I went all the way to the end at 1. Now, it seems to be working a lot better.

It's strange; as I said I have no data plan, but even though the WiFi symbol is still grayed out, I AM able to use the browser. Once in a while it will tell me I cannot connect to a certain page, but if I try reloading a couple times it will work. Perhaps a neighbor's phone or something is causing those brief interruptions?

Anyway, at least this is much better than getting kicked every couple of minutes. I can stay online for much longer. It must have been one of those other routers that caused most of the interference.

EDIT: As I said, the WiFi logo is grayed out, but underneath the clock on my home screen it says "T-Mobile - longsys" (longsys is the name of my router).
    Last edited by masternak2; 06-28-08 at 03:39 PM.
    06-28-08 03:37 PM
    Most of what you describe is normal.

From BlackBerrys point of view, Wifi is the carrier for their data. A gray wifi indicator (yellow in connections), mean you have acquired a network IP address, but you have not completed the network data connection. That is expected when you do not have a BlackBerry data plan.

Your phone is working, all of the PDA apps will work with the exception of E-mail and Messages. You will not be able to install and active any of the third party software because they depend on the network to initialize.

Next time you get an error, go the Wifi Diagnostics page to check for the message code number. W010 is the most common.

06-28-08 03:47 PM
    When it s grey out it means that there is no internet connection but your still connected to the network itself

If you click on manage connection the wifi dot should be yellow which means that you do not have internet connection even if you are connected to the network and that lead to the grey out wifi logo

Now if you have a green dot it will mean that you are connected to the network and you have the internet aswell and you should not have a grey wifi logo but fully colored.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by FaBerry; 06-28-08 at 04:03 PM.
    06-28-08 03:52 PM
    Okay, I think I get it... so basically when the WiFi logo is colored in it means that data is in the process of being transferred, but when it is gray means it is just ready to be transferred? Something like that? That explains why I am still able to use the Browser application.

Do all third party apps require a data plan? Can't I just download them on my laptop and install them via the Desktop Manager (I have a Mac but I can run Windows XP also)?

I do have the e-mail plan, but not the full unlimited data plan.
    06-28-08 04:32 PM
    not all third party..

here is post that had been opened for all app that works with wifi http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/

enjoy it
    06-28-08 04:49 PM
    ...Just got the 8320 Curve from TMo, no data plan. ....

Do all third party apps require a data plan? Can't I just download them on my laptop and install them via the Desktop Manager (I have a Mac but I can run Windows XP also)?

I do have the e-mail plan, but not the full unlimited data plan.
    You do have the required BlackBerry plan.

That makes all the difference, you can ignore the advise regarding third party applications because you do have the required data plan.
    06-28-08 04:54 PM
    Sorry, my bad. The person at the T-Mo store said the e-mail plan was good for e-mail only, nothing else.
    06-28-08 05:17 PM
    Unsupported Browser

BlackBerry Unlimited

Technology should not tie you down. Let your personal e-mail messages come to you, so you can get more from life. And voice calls are only $0.20 a minute.

Our data plan includes:
    Unlimited e-mail
    Unlimited Web browsing
    Voice calls at $0.20 per minute, including nationwide long distance and roaming

$39.99...
    This plan?
    06-28-08 05:23 PM
    No, I am paying $9.99/mo for the "BlackBerry Unlimited E-mail Add-on."

Add access to BlackBerry's powerful e-mail functionality to your myFaves plan. The myFaves BlackBerry Unlimited E-mail Add-on includes unlimited BlackBerry Internet E-mail.
    06-28-08 06:11 PM
    BlackBerry Unlimited E-mail for only $9.99/month is the affordable add-on service that helps you focus on e-mail only. You’ll be able to send and receive e-mails from the leading Internet Service providers (ISPs) such as AOL�, Yahoo!�, Hotmail�, Gmail�, and others even if you don’t need Web browsing capabilities.

This service includes:

Up to 10 personal e-mail accounts

(you can aggregate up to 10 accounts)

Got it, that is exactly what you are looking for.

Your Email and Messenger should work and your Browser can be set to WiFi Only.

Third parties apps will initialize just fine.
    06-28-08 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD