Hello Everyone, I am brand new here so I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. I just recently (like hours ago) just upgraded my OS to 4.5.0.160 and bbm to 5.0.
    btw I have a verizon curve 8330.

Everything seems like its going well except since I did the change, whenever I am on the phone. i hear a periodic noise. I don't really know how to describe it but its not a beep but it sounds like maybe the line cutting out. Anyway, i want to know if anyone else has had this problem and how to fix it bc it is very annoying. Thank you.
    08-23-09 08:30 PM
    It could be the OS that you upgraded to isnt giving you a good radio signal, try doing a battery pull, if that doesnt work you might want to try messing with other 4.5 OS options that will give you a battery radio
    08-23-09 08:37 PM
    This is the infamous chirping sound, right?

A high-pitched chirp. It is a known problem for Verizon users on .160 and .169

Use any of the hybrid OS builds that use the .131 radio (.160/.131 or .169/.131) where the second number indicates the radio file.

The hybrids can be found in the Beta OS discusion forum.

If you don't want to load a hybrid OS, I recommend Sprint's 4.5.0.131 OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 09:10 PM
    BBM5 can be used on all the OS builds referenced in the post above.

08-23-09 09:12 PM
    Ditto on the .131 suggestion. FYI .169 actually gave me the chirp on Sprint fwiw.

08-23-09 09:15 PM
    Thanks. I thought that bbm 5.0 doesn't work on anything lower than 160 and is there any downsides to these hybrids??
    08-23-09 09:25 PM
    BBM5 works with any OS .81 or higher.

The hybrids work well.

08-23-09 09:33 PM
    if i was to get the radio 131 file would there a way to put that in without having to reinstall the entire OS or another OS,
    08-23-09 10:04 PM
    Yes, you replace the .sfi radio file in the cdma folder located in C:\Programs\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330 OS folder\CDMA with the .131 radio file.

Then connect your BB to the computer and double-click the loader.exe file in C:\Programs\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader.

Apploader will ask you if you want to downgrade your OS (radio file). Choose Yes.

What you end up with is a .160/.131 hybrid OS.

08-23-09 10:46 PM
    I ended up installing the hybrid. I am pretty sure the same one you have X. When it finished all my bbm contacts and old messages were gone. But I then restored my latest back up and I got all the contacts and what not back. I think everythign is good now so far. Now i just need to get a new theme. I haven't heard the chirp noise yet. However, I feel like my BB runs a bit slower now, I don't have concrete proof, but it seems like it especiall when turning the phone back on....
    08-24-09 02:29 PM
    Thanks, Everyone. Its been a few days and No Chirp Noises. This forum and crackberry in general is pretty cool.
    08-27-09 07:53 AM
    fyi - my curve takes about 2 -3 minutes to boot up, so I highly doubt there is a problem with the boot up time for you. Glad your chrip noise is all gone!

btw welcomes to crackberry, you will be additiced in no time.
    08-27-09 08:07 AM
    +1 on the welcome. By 8320 takes 3-5 minutes to boot up.
    08-27-09 01:09 PM
    [QUOTE=xliderider;3416039]Yes, you replace the .sfi radio file in the cdma folder located in C:\Programs\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330 OS folder\CDMA with the .131 radio file.

How do you replace this? I see it in the folder but how do I replace it with the .131 radio file?
    09-14-09 10:09 AM
    Cool info. I upgraded my verizon to the .169 and the chirp started after that. I will be adding the .131 radio file tonight when I get home and get the hybrid working.

Thanks Xliderider for the info!
    09-14-09 01:42 PM
    Its probably the government tapping your phone...
    09-14-09 01:45 PM
    Yes, you replace the .sfi radio file in the cdma folder located in C:\Programs\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330 OS folder\CDMA with the .131 radio file.

How do you replace this? I see it in the folder but how do I replace it with the .131 radio file?
    Download the .131 OS and install it to your computer:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

Copy the .sfi radio file from the CDMA folder in the .131 OS folder to the CDMA folder in the .169 OS folder and overwrite the existing file.

You should also replace the profile.cod files in the .169 OS with the .131 equivalent files as well. .169 is known to have ringtone and profile issues which require a battery pull to reset. I have attached the profile.cod files in this post. Download it and copy the files over to the Java folder of the .169 OS and overwrite the .169 files.

Use Control Panel's Add/Remove programs to delete the .131 OS from your computer.

Connect your BB to the USB port and go to C:\Programs\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader and double-click on loader.exe to load the changed OS to your BB.
    09-14-09 02:11 PM
    Cool info. I upgraded my verizon to the .169 and the chirp started after that. I will be adding the .131 radio file tonight when I get home and get the hybrid working.

Thanks Xliderider for the info!
    Unless the chirp is really bad, you might want to just deal with it, I do.

The .169 radio is really fast on data downloads compared to the .131 radio. The .131 radio also has signal bounce, where the signal goes from 1 bar to 3 or 4 bars, then down to 1 bar, etc. It isn't a problem, unless you get dropped calls, but it is annoying.

You might want to replace the profile.cod files with the .131 files though. See post above, so you don't get any profiles or ringtone crashes.
    09-14-09 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD