Bought a new AT&T 8900 yesterday, without adding the data plan, and so far am unable to connect to my local area network.
    My husband bought an 8900 a week ago, with the data plan, and he has had no problem connecting to our Wi-Fi.

It was our understanding that it is possible to connect to a Wi-Fi or ATT hot spot without purchasing a data plan.

So, is it a plot to sell data plans or is do I have a problem with this particular Blackberry?

Any input will be helpful.
    08-23-09 11:20 AM
    I believe AT&T requires a BB Data Plan to use the Wifi... they disable it if you don't have one... unlike T-Mobile.
    08-23-09 11:51 AM
    Yes , you do need a data plan to be able to use wifi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 12:11 PM
    There's mixed results on this with AT&T. Some people here say they can use WiFi no problem without a data plan, while others claim they cannot connect. Try to take your SIM card completely out of your device and then run it that way to see if you can connect to your WiFi connection.
    08-23-09 01:10 PM
    Some of you guys are so misinformed. got to advance options and make sure the default browser says Hotspot. Scan for networks and connect. YOU CAN USE WIFI WITHOUT A DATA PLAN.
    08-23-09 04:32 PM
    Some of you guys are so misinformed. got to advance options and make sure the default browser says Hotspot. Scan for networks and connect. YOU CAN USE WIFI WITHOUT A DATA PLAN.
    Coming from a Newbie on T-Mobile!!! I guess that's about all I can say about this response.
    08-23-09 04:43 PM
    I believe AT&T requires a BB Data Plan to use the Wifi... they disable it if you don't have one... unlike T-Mobile.
    I think there have been some problems with AT&T branded 8900 handsets. Keep in mind, AT&T likes to disable certain features on Blackberries, like the ability to switch 3G off on a BOLD.

Major Blackberry Bold issues - RIM BlackBerry - Wireless Forums from AT&T

Nevertheless, try to pull out your SIM card, and restart the device without it. THen, turn on your WiFi, connect to your network, and makesure you are using the Hotspot Browser.

Also, go to Options - Advanced Options - Service Book, you should see two entries

WiFi TCP/IP Browser
    WiFi TCP/IP Transport

Let us know if this solves the problem.
    08-23-09 04:50 PM
    I think there have been some problems with AT&T branded 8900 handsets. Keep in mind, AT&T likes to disable certain features on Blackberries, like the ability to switch 3G off on a BOLD.

Major Blackberry Bold issues - RIM BlackBerry - Wireless Forums from AT&T

Nevertheless, try to pull out your SIM card, and restart the device without it. THen, turn on your WiFi, connect to your network, and makesure you are using the Hotspot Browser.

Also, go to Options - Advanced Options - Service Book, you should see two entries

WiFi TCP/IP Browser
    WiFi TCP/IP Transport

Let us know if this solves the problem.
    Yes, I've read this before... thanks for adding it... I just wish AT&T had not caused these kind of issues... having to disable your phone just to use Wifi... just does not seem right... just my 2 cents on the subject.
    08-23-09 04:58 PM
    Actually, I think you are the one that is misinformed, champ! Do a bit of research and you will understand what I'm talking about.
    08-23-09 09:09 PM
    yes, correct!!!

i use my Bold at home without a SIM card on wifi all the time.
    08-23-09 10:12 PM
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Taking the sim out did allow me to connect, but only with the card out.
    I think my options are to use the BB as a pda and phone only, bite the bullet and buy the data plan, or return it and get an iphone with data plan.

I'm not pleased with the sync with my mac, only part of my address book came across and none of the contacts from my phone synced with my address book.

At this point I'm thinking too much work for a dumb phone and since we have a MiFi2200, I can't justify the data plan for tethering to my mac, even if that is possible?

I've learned a lot through the process.
    08-23-09 10:57 PM
    That's kind of shady by att. First 5 months with the 8900 I was getting by with wifi. I decided to try out the data plan. Man, I realize what I have been missing. Push email is out of this world. The messengers and gps unlocked. I am now a full blown crackberry addict. Without a wifi signal, advanced edge was enough to browse and even play pandora which surprised me. 8900 is the best phone for tmobile right now.

08-24-09 01:46 AM
    That's not Shady at all by ATT they sell us a subsudized product and require certain things because of it. If you bought it full out then I can understand! ATT as of last week requires you to have a data plan for all smart phones. Now if you have wifi and you have your ATT simcard in, there is a solid chance you can't use wifi withot a data plan because they have shut off wifi use in the main system for you. That's not true for everyone some people make it through for some reason.

08-24-09 02:05 AM
    Actually, I think you are the one that is misinformed, champ! Do a bit of research and you will understand what I'm talking about.
    actually, it would have been alot helpful to back up your statement with evidence rather than just increase your post count.
    anyway,

If att was to disable wifi, this forum would be flooded with hatred to att etc etc so far isolated cases have happened and no sufficient evidence has appeared. also, OP stated WIFI works without sim so its likely that he just needed the correct settings. IF apps is what aristile refers to, then OP should have done his homework.
    08-24-09 09:58 PM
    actually, it would have been alot helpful to back up your statement with evidence rather than just increase your post count.
    anyway,

If att was to disable wifi, this forum would be flooded with hatred to att etc etc so far isolated cases have happened and no sufficient evidence has appeared. also, OP stated WIFI works without sim so its likely that he just needed the correct settings. IF apps is what aristile refers to, then OP should have done his homework.
    Ok, bud, you need to chill. Seriously. If you believe that I post just to increase my post count then you clearly know nothing about me or what I do at Crackberry and you are way off base with your comments. At this point, I don't have anything to prove to you so I have no reason to backup my statements. I know what I am talking about and just to let you know, people DO complain on a weekly (if not daily) basis about having problems connecting to a WiFi connection on AT&T when they do not have a data plan. I have spent much of my own personal time trying to help these people out and if you want to see the evidence then go search for it yourself. The truth is that experienced members who know what they are doing have also had the same problems.

I do understand what you are saying in that some people do not have any problems with WiFi on AT&T but, at the same time, others do have issues. Yes, I know the first reaction to this is that "it must be a settings related issue). Well, that's what we thought as well and we started from step one and then checked every setting but had no luck. Instead of spouting off at the mouth about something you do not know enough about, tried to educate yourself before you come out and look ignorant like you do now. If you think you know how to resolve the problem, by all means you should search for threads of people that need help and help them out.
    08-24-09 10:17 PM
    does snaptu work on wifi without data plan?
    08-26-09 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD