So I just left the store. I bought the BB 8900 without the data plan. It is my second BB, and I don't need the data. The store assured me that the wi-fi would still work. However, when I try to use it I am getting that "radio is turned off or the battery is too low message" which I have seen on my 8800.

My battery is on 1 bar as it is brand new. Any thoughts? Will it work once I get more charge? Or did the CSR not know what he was talking about?
    08-01-09 12:29 PM
    Yeah, low battery will result with wifi being turned off. Also, the cameras flash won't work. Fully charge it then check out wifi. Just keep in mind, most apps don't work over wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 12:31 PM
    I also recommend that you charge the battery quickly and be sure not to run it low again. With the lithium batteries it is best to keep them charged and to charge them frequently for the best overall battery lifespan.

08-01-09 12:33 PM
    Thanks guys for the quick reply! Yeah, I am not concerned about apps, I just wanted a phone with a great keyboard, camera, screen, etc. But I'd like to use Opera via wi-fi as well, and maybe a Slingplayer.

My network name is TWIST. It is in green, but on my MANAGE CONNECTIONS screen there is a white line where the is normally a red X or a green check mark. Also, my "wi-fi" logo isn't blue like I am used to seeing. I assume this means I am not fully connected? My network name is on my main screen however.
    Last edited by ps2baseball; 08-01-09 at 12:40 PM.
    08-01-09 12:37 PM
    I also recommend that you charge the battery quickly and be sure not to run it low again. With the lithium batteries it is best to keep them charged and to charge them frequently for the best overall battery lifespan.

Really? I have heard the opposite. Guy at the store said they have 300 charges, and it is best to let them drain...
    08-01-09 12:41 PM
    The advise he gave you is for the older battery technologies but the L-ion batteries are different.

08-01-09 12:44 PM
    The advise he gave you is for the older battery technologies but the L-ion batteries are different.

Figures! Thanks!

Will Blackberry Messenger work on wi-fi?

Also, do you know if the mini to micro usb adapters work for these bad boys? I have 4 mini chargers and I was thinking of grabbing some adapters.
    08-01-09 12:50 PM
    Figures! Thanks!

Will Blackberry Messenger work on wi-fi?

Also, do you know if the mini to micro usb adapters work for these bad boys? I have 4 mini chargers and I was thinking of grabbing some adapters.
    BBM requires a BB Data Plan.

Micro USB adapters are the newest technology and all new BB's are going to those, including the BB 8900.
    08-01-09 01:39 PM
    Ok guys - fully charged, still no love.

I went ahead and turned data services off, and turned my radio off. I just have wi-fi on. Nothing worked.

I then turned data services on, and the thing flies. But how do I know I am on wi-fi and ATT isn't charging me? I still don't have a green check mark next to my wi-fi in MANAGE CONNECTIONS.

Guess my question is, in order to use wi-fi, do I need to turn on data services?
    08-01-09 01:57 PM
    BBM requires a BB Data Plan.

Micro USB adapters are the newest technology and all new BB's are going to those, including the BB 8900.
    Sorry, guess I am asking if:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417D7OxXblL.jpg

...will work? I think they will, but I have had issue in the past with USB's not work with other devices. Didn't know if anyone had any luck with these.
    08-01-09 02:16 PM
    Sorry, guess I am asking if:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417D7OxXblL.jpg

...will work? I think they will, but I have had issue in the past with USB's not work with other devices. Didn't know if anyone had any luck with these.
    My understanding is those converters work, but I've not tried... I just gave my old one to my step-daughter who has an 8320... I bought another new one to keep at work.
    08-01-09 02:45 PM
    I use those converters on my chargers and they work great. Its not the best solution since adapters add a weak point in the cable an it adds resistance but they are adequate and acceptable. I use them in my truck and additional wall chargers since I never know if I need to charge my 8900 or my old 8310 that my wife uses. The overall majority of the time, however, I use my charging cradle for my 8900.

You definitely need the data service set to "on" for the WiFi connection to work. You will never get the green check mark on your device because AT&T does not offer UMA services like T-mobile does. If you get the white dash, then you are connected. If you want to be sure that your browser is using the WiFi connection then you need to make sure the settings are set to "Hotspot" and not "Internet".

Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Hotspot
    Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Hotspot
    08-01-09 05:09 PM
    Thanks guys (as I cross my fingers until my first bill)!

I think I am good. Slinging at a wi-fi rate so I know I am connected. Also, in the upper right hand corner it says WIFI and not EDGE.
    08-01-09 05:52 PM
    You can call your carrier and have them disable data on your account so you don't have to worry about anything.
    08-01-09 05:56 PM
    You're in good hands with Aristile, I would add with the 8900 your WiFi symbol will be half white half dark, not blue.

08-01-09 06:04 PM
    You're in good hands with Aristile, I would add with the 8900 your WiFi symbol will be half white half dark, not blue.

Thanks pops!!
    08-01-09 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD