I have a 8530 now, and my Wi-Fi isn't working properly. Most sites never come up, and ping very sparsely gets replies, either by domain name or IP address.

When doing a ping test I get stuff like this:

Ping #1: Ping request timeout
    Ping #2: Ping returned after 3294 ms. Success!
    Ping #3: Ping request timeout
    Ping #4: Ping request timeout

the device has near perfect signal to the AP (between 80 - 90%) and all other devices attached to the router, both wired and wireless work fine.

The phone is not currently activated on the Sprint network. Wondering if that's why.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on?
    05-25-10 08:22 PM
    yup, must be because you are not in a mobile network, that happened to me with my previous phone. once that I got the new one, i tryed to use the other only with WiFi, but didn't work. Try conecting it to the mobile network (:
    05-25-10 09:57 PM
    That might be the reason. If you get a data plan and the WiFi still does that, try reseting your router.
    05-25-10 10:12 PM
    You probably need a BIS plan. Doesn't matter if you're connected to the mobile network, as long as you have BIS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 11:06 PM
    Ok, so it's not activated, and seems to be giving the same issues.

Even just pinging the gate way, I got

Ping #1: Ping returned after 79 ms. Success!
    Ping #2: Ping request timeout
    Ping #3: Ping request timeout
    Ping #4: Ping returned after 3944 ms. Success!

Even backwards from my PC to the phone:

Reply from 172.16.0.8: bytes=32 time=3613ms TTL=255
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 172.16.0.2: Destination host unreachable.
    Reply from 172.16.0.2: Destination host unreachable.

I have rebooted the router.

any more thoughts?
    05-26-10 10:44 AM
    OK, new information here.

It seems the wi-fi works at my job on their wireless connection. Now the only difference between their wireless and mine at home is they have a BES server and use WEP. I have no BES server and use WPA2. Could this be causing the issue that I'm having at home?
    06-14-10 01:19 AM
    What OS are you running? Wifi was really spotty when I tried to get it set up at my house on the official VZW OS, the .722 leak is much better.

My router is also at least as old as my betamax player, so that may be an issue.
    06-14-10 02:40 AM
    What OS are you running? Wifi was really spotty when I tried to get it set up at my house on the official VZW OS, the .722 leak is much better.

My router is also at least as old as my betamax player, so that may be an issue.
    It's running 5.654
    06-16-10 07:42 AM
    We were having similar problems accessing our home wi-fi netowrk on my 8520...

I don't know if this will help, but we were excited when we figured out our answer. We went into the browser, from the menu choose options, browser configuration, and change "browser" from vodafone live! to hotspot browser.
    06-18-10 02:37 PM
    We were having similar problems accessing our home wi-fi netowrk on my 8520...

I don't know if this will help, but we were excited when we figured out our answer. We went into the browser, from the menu choose options, browser configuration, and change "browser" from vodafone live! to hotspot browser.
    Thanks for your suggestion, but this is failing on ping tests, not just the browser.
    06-26-10 08:21 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion, but this is failing on ping tests, not just the browser.
    The fact that it works at your office says there isn't a hardware issue. BES shouldn't have any bearing on the issue that I can see. Why not try implementing WEP on the router as a quick test as it shouldn't cause any issues going back after conducting a test. I have an 8520 with ATT and use an N Class router with WPA2 without issues and I'm still using the 4.6 OS.
    06-26-10 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD