I have just bought a new 8900 on eBay, it was locked to T-Mobile UK but I unlocked it to use Orange UK PAYG �5/month BIS. Everything has been working fine except Wi-Fi connection. In my old BlackBerry [8820] as soon as I put the sim card in, it acknowledges the Wi-Fi and connects and I see 'UMA' on the home screen.

On the new BB, it acknowledges the Wi-Fi connection I set up and on the home screen I see 'Orange - MY SSID HERE', but the Wi-Fi logo is still greyed out and the connection still says GPRS instead of UMA.

In Manage Connections, I have Wi-Fi ticked, it shows my SSID in green but instead of a green tick next to it I see a white '-' Furthermore in Options > Mobile Network, I don't have a 'Connection Preference' option.

I have been on the phone to Orange all morning trying to connect to the Wi-Fi because I did some googling and read that it could be a problem with the BIS but they had me wipe my BB, resend service books etc. and still nothing.

In the end she said that because it was locked to T-Mobile, apparently they don't support UMA so even though I'm using it on Orange, the Wi-Fi won't work. I don't know if that's just BS or not...

Can someone please help me? I really want to be able to use Wi-Fi at home rather than use up my data.
    07-31-09 07:50 AM
    First, battery pull... leave the device on, pull the battery, leave it out 20 seconds, put it back in and wait to boot up.

Second, some times your wireless router needs a power reset as well... you are not connecting to the router when you have a greyed out wifi symbol... unplug your router for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait a minute or two.

This is not a UK issue... it happens to people all over the world.
    07-31-09 08:24 AM
    - I have done the battery pull lots of times, both through browsing these forums & at the request of the Orange customer service people.

- I have unplugged the router too a couple of times. I left the plug out for 30 minutes last night and plugged it back in, no change.
    07-31-09 08:37 AM
    Then check out the Complete WiFi How To in my signature block below.
    07-31-09 08:43 AM
    And here is a great UMA guide by 2CISSBB: UMA setup and How-to
    07-31-09 08:46 AM
    The UMA is not going to work for you in this case because you have a T-mobile branded 8900 and you are trying to use it on the Orange network. For UMA to work, you need a phone branded for that specific network.
    07-31-09 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD