Hi,

I was wondering if I could enlist your help as to why my Wi-Fi doesn't really seem to work. I go to a university in the US, which has campus wide internet that I'm trying to log on to. I have set up my Wi-Fi through the campus so that I am able to get internet, but when I try to use it on my BlackBerry it's ridiculously slow and doesn't actually work most of the time. I'm certain I do have Wi-Fi though because I have shut off my network and be able to access pages, painfully slowly. Also, when I'm on call, I'm still able to get pushed emails, but never any websites using both BB's browser as well as Opera Mini or the Gmail download. Please let me know what might be wrong as Wi-Fi seems to be super fast for everyone else and thanks for your help!
    09-07-09 11:34 PM
    Check the WiFi Guide link in my signature.
    09-07-09 11:36 PM
    Any other advice or tips?
    09-08-09 01:11 PM
    Doesn't sound like your device has the issue, the Wifi your using might be receiving numerous activity, i know where I work, Navy Base, we have wifi in our commons building and its actually pretty slow. So I can only image a university having the same.
    09-08-09 01:14 PM
    Any other advice or tips?
    Did the guide do anything for you at all? Any change in status?
    09-08-09 01:15 PM
    If you want to get it working then read through that guide, or do it the hard way and try to figure it out yourself. I'm just trying to help you out here. There's a bunch of great follow-up advice in all there corresponding responses within that thread so just keep reading.
    09-08-09 01:16 PM
    This Wifi Guide is THE wifi guide.
    09-08-09 01:19 PM
    If the WiFi Guide doesn't do it for you, call the campus IT or computer science departments and ask for their help. It would be inconceivable that no one in these areas would have a BB or at least another WiFi ready cell phone. Someone who's been through it already can be a valuable resource.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 05:39 PM
    I guess some people fail to explain that while you may have 'internet' through your campus, they may be blocking VoIP.

Many campuses have set up their Wi-Fi as public or private hotspots but block the very ports and protocols used for VoIP and UMA.

Check with the admins and see if they allow UMA and VoIP. Most will not as the extra bandwidth needed to make UMA reliable on your campus network would also slow it to a crawl.
    09-08-09 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD