I dropped my Blackberry on the floor yesterday, with its face down, and now the trackball doesnt react as well as before. And with this I got to ask myself, why did RIM choose a trackball over arrow keys?
    06-19-10 07:48 AM
    Arrow keys are definitely a thing of the past, but as is the trackball on new models.

All of the new models that you see will be releasing with the trackball, since that is a much better technology and appears to have / give users far less problems.
    06-19-10 07:49 AM
    Arrow keys are definitely a thing of the past, but as is the trackball on new models.

All of the new models that you see will be releasing with the trackball, since that is a much better technology and appears to have / give users far less problems.
    As a scandinavian the trackball is a new thing for me. I'm used to arrow keys or the min joysticks like the one on Kindle. So far the arrow keys have been most reliable. You dont need to change them, they dont break if you drop your phone etc.etc
    06-19-10 07:52 AM
    Understandable, but with the form factor and design of the BlackBerry, there would really be no placement of arrow keys that would look / feel normal or act functionally.
    06-19-10 07:56 AM
    A service center should have no problem replacing your trackball for free if you have insurance on the phone, as long as there's no evident water damage or if it looks like you've tried dismantling the phone yourself. I've had my Curve for about a year now and have only had to get mine replaced once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 08:37 AM
    If you don't have insurance, the trackball is very easy to replace. I have replace so I can have a different color. I also take it out and clean it periodically because it gets lint and dust under the ball. This is really my only complaint with the trackball and might be one of the reasons RIM went with the trackpad.
    06-19-10 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD