I have tried a myriad of OTA-downloadable Plazmic themes on my Curve...and have yet to find one that allows for the font size/style to be customized like the standard BlackBerry ones. It is a huge point of frustration to me...since I guess my nearly-50 eyes aren't what they used to be, and although I can see the tiny font size of most all the themes...a larger font would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody have a cure for this? Are there any themes out there that allow for a larger font? Am I just missing something, and can do it myself all along?

Thanks for the help!!
    12-30-07 07:12 AM
    ...Does anybody have a cure for this? Are there any themes out there that allow for a larger font? Am I just missing something, and can do it myself all along?...
    Yeah, that would be something! I'm afraid that we can do nothing with the font size in the end product. I strongly believe however that the plazmic theme developer can implement a decent font size while developing.

If the theme is for free (like bphone) you can say "nah" and leave it go, but if you have to pay for it, your stuck with it and make you sorry you didn't look for references first. If you're young and / or have 20/20 eyes, a smaller font is no issue. If your become older and / or your vision is less blessed, it become a problem right from the start. Me using my BB without reading glasses? Forget it!

My personal positive experience with themes is the Verizon Theme and the standard BB themes. I think that Blackberry could give the end users more control over font sizes too.

Daruba.
    12-30-07 01:43 PM
    If the theme is for free (like bphone) you can say "nah" and leave it go, but if you have to pay for it, your stuck with it and make you sorry you didn't look for references first.
    The main reason that I have never actually purchased any themes, and have only used the freebie OTA ones, is not that I'm a cheapskate...it's for the very reason you mentioned. If I know that the font size on the free ones is miniscule...then why would I waste money on themes that aren't any better.

I would gladly pay the price for themes that offered my choice of font size and type...since I don't mind paying someone for the work involved in the theme creation. But, I do mind paying for something I can't use comfortably.

Maybe some of your ace theme creators could come up with some way of implementing font size adjustability into your themes...hmmmmmm?
    12-30-07 03:38 PM
    I thought it was just me...
    I guess it is really that Plazmic Theme creator that does not properly handle Fonts. As far as I am concerned, it is JUNK.
    01-22-08 01:05 PM
    Best suggestion is to send a request to the person that created the theme to see if they can modify it.
    01-22-08 01:15 PM
    I agree with LilUnique.

I've created a few themes and played with the font sizes. It seems to me that the possible reason this is happening is because the theme creator is presetting a default option for the font rather than individually changing the font for each area.

It does specify in the theme creator that the default font would also be the font that gets changed by the the device owner in the display/keyboard settings.
    01-22-08 01:22 PM
    I thought it was just me...
    I guess it is really that Plazmic Theme creator that does not properly handle Fonts. As far as I am concerned, it is JUNK.
    I just went over to the Plazmic web site to check on this. This problem is formally listed as a problem, and there is "no workaround".

It is not the Theme builders problem, it is a Plazmic problem. I suggest that no one actually "buy" a Theme created with Plazmic.
    01-22-08 01:37 PM
    if you are using standard themes, or have the pictures you want on the screens, send me your requests and I'll whip one out for you with larger fonts. Most of the fonts are resizable in the CDK, which i will use to shoot you one out. if it's not an original dimension theme, or the stock AT&T icons theme, then I need 3 pictures sized for your screen (320x240 for the 8800) or tell me your phone model and I'll shrink them. Don't flood me, as I'm doing this at no charge out of the kindness of my heart.

Bombdude at gmail dot com
    03-06-08 02:37 PM
    Also let me know specifically which fonts are troublesome, or if you would just like them all enlarged by two or three sizes.
    03-06-08 02:43 PM
    Best suggestion is to send a request to the person that created the theme to see if they can modify it.
    i use plazmic. you can adjust every font (for the most part) while creating the theme but not after (by the end user). i've seen some themes with huge clocks, etc. i've made a few themes myself and it's quite easy.

i have a few suggestions. go to themes4bb.com and search for ones w/ larger text (most themes are free there and they have a LOT). create your own (it's actually a lot of fun tho it takes some time). or find someone who will make one for you. sounds like somebody has already offered to do so. good luck

if you try plazmic and have questions, lemme know.
    03-06-08 02:43 PM
    I guess the thing to note too is that once a theme is made via plazmic, is that some fonts remain adjustable...

it's just the menu/list fonts that are fixed...so if you have a theme with small fonts (like the new free crackberry themes), the fonts are small on the email inbox list, or on the menu popups, but you can still make your reading email messages/composing text huge.

i'm a fan of small text though on the menu/listing pages... the bb has limited screen space - gotta maximize. though i do wear glasses..maybe that's the cause!
    03-06-08 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD