For the life of me i cant understand why RIM would design this phone with no 3G support. I mean every major cell carrier in the world is upgrading there netowrk to run on 3G. It just doesnt make any sense.
    09-01-08 05:46 PM
    Considering this is most likely a tmo exclusive. I think you should take into consideration tmobiles 3g schedule, and the "speculated" timing of their release date. Atts bold should be around the corner, so tmo wants to get in on some exclusive action as well. If that means holding off on 3g so they can ship this thing out a bit faster than so be it.

I for one, am not really affected by the lack of 3g. It won't be rolling out anywhere near me for quite some time. The javelin is gonna be great for me. A wonderful upgrade from my curve

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 07:47 PM
    I thought RIMs president said that all new phones should support 3G. I live just outside NY so 3G coverage is everywhere. I'd trade wifi for 3G if they would ever do it. I mean the niagra on verizon is supposed to support evdo which is the CDMA version of 3G isn't it? Its honestly the one feature this phone lacks to blow away the market. I'm a rather committed bold fanatic but I'm looking more and more at the Javelin. If this thing had 3G it would be the bees knees.

09-01-08 08:29 PM
    Considering this is most likely a tmo exclusive. I think you should take into consideration tmobiles 3g schedule, and the "speculated" timing of their release date. Atts bold should be around the corner, so tmo wants to get in on some exclusive action as well. If that means holding off on 3g so they can ship this thing out a bit faster than so be it.

I for one, am not really affected by the lack of 3g. It won't be rolling out anywhere near me for quite some time. The javelin is gonna be great for me. A wonderful upgrade from my curve

My sentiments exactly. I mean, if this device launched tomorrow, would you the OP utilize the 3G technology in Humble/Huntsville TX?? I doubt it. We know CDMA has used 3G tech for a while, but it's not as wide-spread on GSM, and until it has the same footprint of it's CDMA counter-part it's basically pointless. Also, the device is not even official nor are any specs, so who can really say what this device will entail when it hits market. Although not having 3G would in no way doom it's shelf life.
    09-01-08 08:29 PM
    My sentiments exactly. I mean, if this device launched tomorrow, would you the OP utilize the 3G technology in Humble/Huntsville TX?? I doubt it. We know CDMA has used 3G tech for a while, but it's not as wide-spread on GSM, and until it has the same footprint of it's CDMA counter-part it's basically pointless. Also, the device is not even official nor are any specs, so who can really say what this device will entail when it hits market. Although not having 3G would in no way doom it's shelf life.
    Well yes actually i could take advantage of 3G, as Tmo launched 3g in the houston market some time ago. And will have it in all the tmo markets by the first of the year i believe. So if it comes down to thew bold or the javalin, and only the bold has 3G, then im going to have to go with the bold, but would rather have the slightly smaller javalin/
    09-01-08 11:01 PM
    Well yes actually i could take advantage of 3G, as Tmo launched 3g in the houston market some time ago. And will have it in all the tmo markets by the first of the year i believe. So if it comes down to thew bold or the javalin, and only the bold has 3G, then im going to have to go with the bold, but would rather have the slightly smaller javalin/
    Slightly smaller, more improved design, better processor, better camera. If not this hspda issue it'd be a no brainer. Its funny as the days go by I'm looking more and more at the javelin. I must say that I'm dug DEEP into the bold camp, but this device is looking better every day. The only thing that doesn't keep me optimistic about the specs not being locked in is that if they were to add 3G to this phone there would be absolutely
    no need and no purpose for the bold. Which means they would basically kill their new flagship brand.

09-01-08 11:17 PM
    Slightly smaller, more improved design, better processor, better camera. If not this hspda issue it'd be a no brainer. Its funny as the days go by I'm looking more and more at the javelin. I must say that I'm dug DEEP into the bold camp, but this device is looking better every day. The only thing that doesn't keep me optimistic about the specs not being locked in is that if they were to add 3G to this phone there would be absolutely
    no need and no purpose for the bold. Which means they would basically kill their new flagship brand.

i dont think that would be the case. Some people are going to want the bigger size and faster processor of the bold, and some will want a smaller footprint and the loss of speed will be worth the smaller size, so i believe there is plenty of market share for both to be out there with full 3G support.
    09-01-08 11:44 PM
    What percentage of T-Mobile's customer base will have access to 3 in the next month? In the next year? I'll go out on a limb and guess that it won't be very high...

I certainly won't have it on T-Mobile where I live for a long time...

Therefore... the Javelin is perfect for me!
    09-02-08 03:20 AM
    What percentage of T-Mobile's customer base will have access to 3 in the next month? In the next year? I'll go out on a limb and guess that it won't be very high...

I certainly won't have it on T-Mobile where I live for a long time...

Therefore... the Javelin is perfect for me!
    Hit the nail on the head
    09-02-08 04:14 AM
    Doesn't TMo's 3G also run on a different spectrum/frequency then ATT's? I thought there was a difference between the two carriers in their 3G setup, perhaps I'm wrong.
    09-02-08 12:17 PM
    i believe there is, TMO's 3G is 1700mhz i believe which is different than anybody else.
    09-02-08 02:15 PM
    there is a thread around somewhere in the rumors section about a 3G version of jav coming out......actually, it was on the main site too....

Next Up in the BlackBerry Pipeline... the 9220?!! | CrackBerry.com

....the mention of HSDPA implies at&t......which is cool, as at&t's 3G is noticeably faster than sprint/verizon evdo....(i have both att hsdpa and verizon broadband connect on computers...)
    09-03-08 08:10 PM
    3G is very widespread where I live. I believe it is a pretty new thing in this area though. Therefore if it is released on Verizon it would be a terrible flop. If it's released with wifi support maybe, but thats not everywhere. I like to be out on the golf course and get still be able to surf at decent speeds. Its like going back to dial up after having cable net.
    09-07-08 09:05 PM
    Its called marketing
    09-08-08 04:22 AM
    Its called marketing
    Now this I agree with
    09-08-08 06:35 AM
    want 3g get the Bold
    09-10-08 06:17 AM
    I think you're all hilarious....What's the big deal with 3G anyway???? Why does it matter if a phone as pimp as the javelin doesn't have 3G???? Is it absolutely vital that you be able to to do video calls and watch you tube on your blackberry? As long as phone makes and receive calls, composes and receives emails, and has a browser on it, I am perfectly happy with EDGE... And if that's too slow, I flip on wi-fi on my Curve and hijack my neighbors network....having a 3G phone doesn't mean you'll get more girls or make more money so really who gives a sh*t????

09-10-08 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD