My experience from Sony Ericsson w810i to Blackberry 8900 has been very frustrating. I have posted my thoughts on my website.

Why I hate BlackBerry | Brijux.com

Please comment your views(or if you have any solutions) there.
    09-16-09 04:13 PM
    Problem #2 = Have you tried cleaning it or replacing the trackball?
    Problem #3 = There an app for that. *does cost money*
    problem #4 = Well I never had this problem, and I use the alarm function on every weekday. Trade it in for a new one.
    09-16-09 04:25 PM
    Problem #2 = Have you tried cleaning it or replacing the trackball?
    Problem #3 = There an app for that. *does cost money*
    problem #4 = Well I never had this problem, and I use the alarm function on every weekday. Trade it in for a new one.
    2. The trackball started having the problems just after a month. Am I supposed to open up my brand new phone just after a month and void warranty?

3. Why do I have to pay for small things like muting my camera? Shouldn't this be a native option on BB OS?

4. You are suggesting to trade my brand new phone? If you are thn its insane, paying $200 for a phone like this and trading it in a month?

Please post your comments on the following blog to help spread this discussion there also.
    09-16-09 04:31 PM
    2. The trackball started having the problems just after a month. Am I supposed to open up my brand new phone just after a month and void warranty?

3. Why do I have to pay for small things like muting my camera? Shouldn't this be a native option on BB OS?

4. You are suggesting to trade my brand new phone? If you are thn its insane, paying $200 for a phone like this and trading it in a month?

Please post your comments on the following blog to help spread this discussion there also.
    First of all; after a month your warranty is up anyway. New phones usually have a 14 or 30 day return policy. Simply replace your trackball. It's easy to do.

Second, if muting the camera is that big a deal, then why did you buy the phone in the first place?

Third; linking to another site for posts is frowned upon here. Keep the discussion here or move on.

Sorry you hate your new phone but you should have tested it out before you committed. Guess that'll teach ya!
    09-16-09 04:38 PM
    Trade it in for another 8900 if the alarm and trackball are defective. A refurbished unit might be better, since it is tested thoroughly.

For the camera sound you could maybe try this app. CameraMuteApp: Free App Mutes Camera Shutter Sound – GSM Devices Only | BerryReview.com �

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 04:42 PM
    First of all; after a month your warranty is up anyway. New phones usually have a 14 or 30 day return policy. Simply replace your trackball. It's easy to do.

Second, if muting the camera is that big a deal, then why did you buy the phone in the first place?

Third; linking to another site for posts is frowned upon here. Keep the discussion here or move on.

Sorry you hate your new phone but you should have tested it out before you committed. Guess that'll teach ya!
    Not true. Warranty is for 1 year. However after 30 days you get a refurbished phone not a brand new replacement.

09-16-09 04:44 PM
    Not true. Warranty is for 1 year. However after 30 days you get a refurbished phone not a brand new replacement.

Yes, you are right. I called up ATT and they are ready to send a refurbished phone.

What do you guys think? Should I replace it for refurbished phone or should I live with a slightly defective trackball? Are refurbished phones as good as new ones?
    09-16-09 04:50 PM
    Receiving a replacement device from the mobile carrier is not always "refurbished" as they say... some can be new, atleast that is what T-Mobile says. But since youre on AT&T, the refurbished device maybe even better than new out of box because they fully test the device before they ship it out to you. And, update your OS to .250 and maybe it will help with the alarm issue.
    Last edited by AZN.M3NACE; 09-16-09 at 04:57 PM.
    09-16-09 04:54 PM
    Actually, after 30days the replacement is almost ALWAYS a refurb. Refurbs are tested more thouroghly than new phones and are therefore usually more stable.

Yes, trade it in. If the phone is having issues then you got a bad unit, trade it in and get what you paid for. As for the camera beep, there are apps to do that and NO I don't think RIM should make it native as I think there are too many pervs out their taking pictures of unsuspecting victims. RIM has stated that it is for legal reasons that they do this. Remember, they are in Canada so it's possible that Canadian law requires it.
    09-16-09 05:05 PM
    For the camera issue you might try the link I gave. I have no idea how well it works but it's free.

I really could care less if the camera shutter makes a sound.

I would trade in the phone. I couldn't live with a defective trackball and alarm. I am sure the refurbished will be tested to make sure it works properly.

09-16-09 05:16 PM
    Why do you car about the camera making a sound.... taking sneeky pics under teh table are we :P? Nah just kidding... but it is a silly think to hate a phone when you didnt properly research it before you bought it.
    09-16-09 05:20 PM
    Why do you car about the camera making a sound.... taking sneeky pics under teh table are we :P? Nah just kidding... but it is a silly think to hate a phone when you didnt properly research it before you bought it.
    Well, I can live with camera sound and all other flaws. I just needed blackberry for the "Tasks" function and which works very well.

But its very annoying when the trackball does not work as it was supposed to. I am going to exchange it with a refurbished phone from ATT. I hope the refurbished one does not have the defective trackball.

And I wonder why no one has commented for the #1 reason on my post, Is there any way to record the call?
    09-16-09 05:54 PM
    Not really...there is another thread about recording calls you should search for. None of my 6 phones, Nokia to BB have ever had a record call featured and the 1 answering machine I had that did had a loud beep every 15 seconds to alert the caller. I live in CA and it is illegal to record a call her without all party consent. We are 1 of 12 states like that.
    09-16-09 05:59 PM
    Well I dunno about you, I love my 8900, and i would probably stick with it for a while, even if it has problems. I love fixing things by myself.
    09-16-09 06:09 PM
    Wow...what a controversial thread for the 8900-loving subforum!

Not all BBs are born perfect. Some don't have good trackballs. You can always replace it yourself or send it back for a refurb since it's under warranty.

Also, it's possible that BB just isn't for you. I know it is for me and overall it's a GREAT phone but maybe it's just not the phone for you. And that's ok.

09-16-09 06:14 PM

You can record calls with any Sony Ericcson I have ever used. You said every basic phone. That's incorrect. I have had wayy more phones than probably anybody here. I can assure that most phones DO NOT have this function.

The camera sound. All newer phones in the USA don't have the mute function. Even the newer sony ericssons didn't. I had to flash to a dif firmware to get that feature on a c905. My w850i had no mute. I had to flash to a unbranded firmware to get that feature too.

I know how you feel about coming from a sony ericsson man. Trust me. I love the older sony ericssons. But you gotta adjust. Is phone recording really that important? Camera mute can be worked around from berryannoying or other apps.
    09-16-09 06:36 PM
    Also. John check your pm box man.
    09-16-09 06:38 PM
    My experience from Sony Ericsson w810i to Blackberry 8900 has been very frustrating.
    Howdy John,

your problem #4
    4. Alarm did not go off that morning

Is the daily alarm set to ON or Weekdays Only? When I first set the alarm on my phone, I set it for weekdays only, and had the same question the first weekend morning it didn't go off. The night before I wasn't paying attention that it was going to be a Sat when I wanted it go off.

As for the trackball, if there is dirt or oils from your fingers on it, it's now on the rollers (just like with mouse balls), and if you put the phone in your pocket without a case, there is pocket lint in the mix as well. That is not a trackball flaw, just something that happens when something other than the trackball, rolls over the rollers inside the TB housing. Now having said that, I have had my phone since Sept 11th 2008, and so far other than having a dirty looking trackball, it has not stopped working yet. But it may also be due to work, and me washing my hands several times a day out of habit.
    09-16-09 06:51 PM
    (just like with mouse balls)
    Your mouse balls have dirt and oil on them?? My mouse doesn't have any balls!?!

LMAO!! Sorry...When you see something funny you gotta laugh.
    09-16-09 07:12 PM
    Howdy John,

your problem #4
    4. Alarm did not go off that morning

Is the daily alarm set to ON or Weekdays Only? When I first set the alarm on my phone, I set it for weekdays only, and had the same question the first weekend morning it didn't go off. The night before I wasn't paying attention that it was going to be a Sat when I wanted it go off.

As for the trackball, if there is dirt or oils from your fingers on it, it's now on the rollers (just like with mouse balls), and if you put the phone in your pocket without a case, there is pocket lint in the mix as well. That is not a trackball flaw, just something that happens when something other than the trackball, rolls over the rollers inside the TB housing. Now having said that, I have had my phone since Sept 11th 2008, and so far other than having a dirty looking trackball, it has not stopped working yet. But it may also be due to work, and me washing my hands several times a day out of habit.
    I have set it on weekdays only but it was wednesday when it happened.

09-16-09 07:22 PM
    Your mouse balls have dirt and oil on them?? My mouse doesn't have any balls!?!

LMAO!! Sorry...When you see something funny you gotta laugh.
    He is referring to old mouse with a ball underneath them.. Not the optical mouse.. But I get your pun

09-16-09 07:23 PM
    He is referring to old mouse with a ball underneath them.. Not the optical mouse.. But I get your pun

So if my mouse is old and blind???...oh nevermind.
    09-16-09 07:46 PM

If there are problems with the phone trading it in for a new one should be FREE!
    09-16-09 07:49 PM
    I agree about lack of recording calls, also a bit stuck trying to figure out how to setup the call log with the time of calls incoming, outgoing and missed...
    09-16-09 08:06 PM
    Cell phones are just like any other electronic device.. stores don't take them back after 14 days usually but I would still take it up with the manufacturer. If they won't help you, switch to another model.
    09-16-09 08:17 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD