Im not even sure that IMEI is, but ive heard that if u buy a used blackberry from ebay that it needs to be released or something, how do i find this out and is it a long process
    08-25-09 08:37 AM
    Most will say it's the PIN, not the IMEI... even thought they are both unique to your device... the only way you will know for sure is when you try to register your device with your cell phone provider... if the PIN has not been released it will not let you register your PIN with your provider.
    08-25-09 08:41 AM
    what happens if its a tmobile device and im with tmobile, and if its not released, how do i get it released, dont want a phone from ebay if i cant use it. guess i will just roll the device and hope that the seller knows what they are doing, but i have a feeling they wont
    08-25-09 08:56 AM
    what happens if its a tmobile device and im with tmobile, and if its not released, how do i get it released, dont want a phone from ebay if i cant use it. guess i will just roll the device and hope that the seller knows what they are doing, but i have a feeling they wont
    If it's not released you can't get BB email, and it won't register to you.

Just get the seller to call their carrier and ask to have the PIN detached from their account, it's real easy.
    08-25-09 10:29 AM
    yeah i emailed the seller telling them i would need that to happen and they gave me some 877 number to call, i dont call numbers when i dont know who it is, if im not given the info i will just move on, there are 2 other curves im watching and i already sent them a message asking them for the info and if they could make sure that it was released, have no idea if they are going to do it. Im thinking im better off, just spending the extra money and getting it from tmobile then i wouldnt have to go through the hassle
    08-25-09 10:41 AM
    There's no need for a duplicate post:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ju...e-ebay-301552/
    08-25-09 10:46 AM
    Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ

2. Send the seller an email requesting the following additional information:

-- Ask for the IMEI of the device

3. When the seller replies to the above questions:

-- Call the company that the device is branded to and have them check the IMEI to make sure it is not stolen or lost

-- Have them check to see if the PIN and IMEI have been released

4. If you are satisfied with the seller and the responses then place your bid.

Most sellers will have no problem sending this additional information. If they fail to reply or fail to answer all the questions then it might be best to avoid this seller no matter how cheap the device is.
    08-25-09 10:54 AM

uh duh i know I need to call them, but i need the IMEI number first, which is what im waiting for
    08-25-09 11:09 AM
    uh duh i know I need to call them, but i need the IMEI number first, which is what im waiting for
    The guy is trying to help you and answer your question. There is no reason to have an attitude about it.
    08-25-09 11:14 AM
    A new page I just bookmarked.... thanks McLay!!!
    08-25-09 11:24 AM
    The guy is trying to help you and answer your question. There is no reason to have an attitude about it.
    i can and I did, besides i just called tmobile and tried to give them the pin and IMEI number of a phone I was trying to buy and they had no idea what i was talking about, they said they only thing i need to make sure of is that its not password protected and that there is no water damage
    08-25-09 11:26 AM
    i can and I did, besides i just called tmobile and tried to give them the pin and IMEI number of a phone I was trying to buy and they had no idea what i was talking about, they said they only thing i need to make sure of is that its not password protected and that there is no water damage
    Call back and get someone that knows what you are talking about.
    08-25-09 11:29 AM
    Call back and get someone that knows what you are talking about.

lol right, either they know or they dont know, it seems i was misinformed, but i will try one more time
    08-25-09 11:32 AM
    lol right, either they know or they dont know, it seems i was misinformed, but i will try one more time
    Do you want our help or not? No one here at Crackberry is screwing you around. Believe us and accept the help or just move along. Good luck to you.
    08-25-09 11:34 AM
    Like any big company there are different layers of customer service and reps with different experience. If you get one that doesn't know what you are talking about say thanks and hang up...call back and explain it again to another one, it works.

Just politely tell them you need to check the IMEI number and PIN to make sure they are clear. If they tell you they can't check ask to be transferred to someone who can.

Or, you can just take the first reps word for it and take the chance buying the phone and having it not work! To me the extra couple minutes on the phone is worth it.
    08-25-09 11:36 AM
    I wouldn't help people like this either maybe he had this ego with his carrier too and that's y they told him this
    08-25-09 11:38 AM
    Like any big company there are different layers of customer service and reps with different experience. If you get one that doesn't know what you are talking about say thanks and hang up...call back and explain it again to another one, it works.

Just politely tell them you need to check the IMEI number and PIN to make sure they are clear. If they tell you they can't check ask to be transferred to someone who can.

Or, you can just take the first reps word for it and take the chance buying the phone and having it not work! To me the extra couple minutes on the phone is worth it.
    Thank you, i apologize for my attitude earlier, just not having a good morning. I was out of line and Im sorry, and I will take your advice and call back, thank you
    08-25-09 11:40 AM
    Thank you, i apologize for my attitude earlier, just not having a good morning. I was out of line and Im sorry, and I will take your advice and call back, thank you
    Thanks for apologizing, it is appreciated. Bad mornings happen to everyone and that's why Crackberry is such a great place because people will help you out regardless. You just can't be rude for no reason to the people trying to help you.
    08-25-09 11:43 AM
    If you are calling T-Mobile, say "help with my blackberry" or "blackberry" at the IVR prompt. If that doesn't work, when you get to care, ask to be transferred to the Blackberry support team. This will get you to a team of people who deal with BB all day long. They should definitely be able to help you.
    08-25-09 12:18 PM
    I do customer service for tmobile and work in the blakcberry pda deparment and if you call me and asked if an imei number or pin was released I would end up transfering to RIM they handle what pins are attached to what email...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD