All of the sudden, my phone started saving pictures as *.jpg.rem, instead of just .jpg. Now I cannot view them on my computer. It has been a while since I have taken a picture to do more than send as MMS, but I could have sworn it used to save them as a .jpg.
    Thanks!
    Alan
    10-28-08 11:08 AM
    All of the sudden, my phone started saving pictures as *.jpg.rem, instead of just .jpg. Now I cannot view them on my computer. It has been a while since I have taken a picture to do more than send as MMS, but I could have sworn it used to save them as a .jpg.
    Thanks!
    Alan
    Howdy Alan you turned on encryption for your media card didn't you? that is what happens to the picture/music/ringtone files when you turn encryption on for media files on. To cure this, turn data encryption off and COPY the files you want .jpg.rem removed from.
    You can drag and drop them off of the media card or into a new folder on the media card. BUT YOU MUST TURN the encryption off FIRST.

Option - Media Card - Encryption Mode
    You can set this to Device or Security Password or both this will bring up another option Encrypt Media Files, if you set this to YES, you will get those .jpg.rem extensions on all you jpgs that you save or copy to the Media card and just removing the .rem will not make them work. So set it to NO. so you can save the files you want without the REM extension.

Now you can copy the files to anywhere you like and view them just fine. The original files once encrypted will still have the REM extension and won't be viewable off the media card.

Hope this helps ya.
    10-28-08 11:29 AM
    Hey,

I am pretty sure there is no way to do this, but on the off chance that someone has an idea...

I have picutres on a media card that were encrypted when it was on a BES. I wasn't able to turn encryption off so I could not transfer to a PC or resave as unencrypted in any way.

I have just left the company and was subsequently deactivated from the BES. Now my phone will not even all me to access the files, stating that they were encrypted by another device.

Is there anyway for me to decrypt these files?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    05-12-10 09:22 PM
    You can probably view the encrypted files using DM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 07:34 AM
    You can probably view the encrypted files using DM.
    Doubtful, they call it encryption for a reason.
    05-13-10 01:50 PM
    Doubtful, they call it encryption for a reason.
    Yes. But I was replying to the original poster, not the one with the BES question. Anyway, here's what I found. If my phone saves a picture I take as a .jpg.rem, I can't view the image if I transfer the file using mass storage mode, but I CAN transfer the image to my computer using DM and view it. Another thing I learned is that if I send one of these .jpg.rem files as an email attachment (from my BlackBerry), the file becomes viewable once I retrieve the email on my computer.

I might just leave "encrypt media files" on, but I'll have to remember to turn that feature off if I want to use my video cam. I can't view any videos I've made with my phone if I made them with "encrypt media files" on -- even on my BlackBerry itself! -- because they come up "unsopported." They won't even transfer using DM, and they won't work if email them.

05-13-10 03:30 PM
    ... turn data encryption off and COPY the files you want .jpg.rem removed from.
    You can drag and drop them off of the media card or into a new folder on the media card. BUT YOU MUST TURN the encryption off FIRST ... Now you can copy the files to anywhere you like and view them just fine. The original files once encrypted will still have the REM extension and won't be viewable off the media card.
    This is a great tip. I tried it and it works fabulously. Thank you!

05-13-10 03:40 PM
    Very helpful, thank you :-)
    04-12-13 01:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD