What the **** has happened to my 8900 curve camera quality when i take photos?

the quality has gone bad for some reason and i dont know why!

Has anyone else had problems with their photo quality changing from 4.6 to 5.0.0.681?

I dont know what version of 4.6 i originally had as my blackberry was replaced (i had to upgrade the software because the camera would reboot the phone everytime i tried to start the camera)

IS it heard of that getting a replacement handset they've replaced the camera lens with 1 which is not 3.2 megapixel?

What's strange is that i still have the photos from my original blackberry on my memory card and when i view them i can see the photo quality is no longer as clear as it was when i took them, it's like the software for viewing the photos is not up to scratch as it was on 4.6. what can be the explanation for this?

I dont think the camera is damaged or its a hardware problem.. (although i had no way to check this current blackberry when it was on 4.6 cos it kept crashing when i opened the camera) is this drop in quality happened to anyone else with an 8900 curve?

i have to note i've seen the camera quality on the 9700 bold and it is very poor compared to what i originally had on my 1st 8900 curve, i'm think it must be to do with later versions of operating software 4.6 and now 5.0, what have blackberry done to mess everything up??
    06-28-10 06:42 PM
    Check your camera settings, and make sure auto focus is where you want it, also
    picture size and picture quality are both where you want them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 08:02 PM
    Have you checked your cameras settings, it may have defaulted back to low res when you updated. Just a thought.

06-28-10 08:18 PM
    Also check the lens and make sure its clean.
    06-28-10 08:32 PM
    no i've done all of those things, what else could it be?

is it the software causing this??
    06-29-10 05:34 PM
    yeah i did all of those things by default, it just doesn't make sense why my camera was so good originally and now cos of this new software it just isn't the same.

can software do this?
    06-29-10 05:35 PM
    I have experienced the same thing, I was wondering and the settings are all the same as before
    06-30-10 02:03 AM
    my camera quality on .681 is just as good as all previous OS's. in fact, its even better than my 9700.
    07-02-10 03:20 AM
    I upgraded to .681 from 4.6 and I thought the camera actually was better and I didn't change any of the settings.
    07-02-10 10:58 AM
    My pics are great still.. Might just be u man.... I'd check the lens

07-02-10 03:57 PM
    transfer the photos to your computer, so you can really check quality.. maybe it is just some image rendering problems with the phone...
    if not working, try to reload the OS...
    07-03-10 01:32 AM
    transfer the photos to your computer, so you can really check quality.. maybe it is just some image rendering problems with the phone...
    if not working, try to reload the OS...
    07-03-10 01:39 AM
    my camera quality on .681 is just as good as all previous OS's. in fact, its even better than my 9700.
    I think I've figured out the issue.

it's to do with the the size in kb of photo that seems to determine how good the quality is.

despite me keeping the settings the same with superfine and all the highest possible settings i.e. large photo, it seems to only take pics at around 200kb maximum, i managed to get 1 at around 460kb which was really clear but in the past all my old pics on the operating software 4.6 they were all at least 460kb, majority were around 700kb. why is this?

what makes the phone take photos at a larger file size? it seems to have a mind of its own.

i still have 400mb of media card space and currently there is 89mb of memory.

i already know i can get a photo at 460kb on this 5.0.0.681 OS but i dont know how i did it.

What determines the size of the photo? bear in mind i've kept all the settings the same.
    07-08-10 05:19 PM
    I think I've figured out the issue.

it's to do with the the size in kb of photo that seems to determine how good the quality is.

despite me keeping the settings the same with superfine and all the highest possible settings i.e. large photo, it seems to only take pics at around 200kb maximum, i managed to get 1 at around 460kb which was really clear but in the past all my old pics on the operating software 4.6 they were all at least 460kb, majority were around 700kb. why is this?

what makes the phone take photos at a larger file size? it seems to have a mind of its own.

i still have 400mb of media card space and currently there is 89mb of memory.

i already know i can get a photo at 460kb on this 5.0.0.681 OS but i dont know how i did it.

What determines the size of the photo? bear in mind i've kept all the settings the same.
    07-08-10 05:20 PM
    Try a Pic outdoor with a lot of Colors and Sun, then try Indoor. There you have your big Differences.

And dont forget to look at the Zoom. If you Zoom your Quality is not good.
    07-08-10 07:18 PM
    What size are your pictures on your 8900 curve in kb? are they over 600kb?

the camera quality on the 9700 is rubbish though so that's not really a comparison.
    07-09-10 03:08 PM
    my replacement 8900 curve was made in hungary not mexico like my original.

do you think it's conceivable they've put a 2megapixiel cam in my 8900 curve replacement rather than a 3.2 megapix 1?

to me unless it's a hardware problem, the issue is the software not letting me take pics of 600kb in size or more despite having plenty of memory 120mb and plenty of media card space 400mb.

it seems like this new software just decides when and how good the quality is which is annoying, is downgrading the software the only way?

the thing is when my replacement arrived the camera kept crashing due to the software version of 4.6 it came with so i had to upgrade as i couldn't downgrade down as i dont know how to.
    07-09-10 03:12 PM
    Try a Pic outdoor with a lot of Colors and Sun, then try Indoor. There you have your big Differences.

And dont forget to look at the Zoom. If you Zoom your Quality is not good.
    it doesn't help it's so strange its like the autofocus doesn't know what to do so i get poor quality images.

have you upgraded to 5.0.0.681?
    07-09-10 03:14 PM
    Check your camera settings, and make sure auto focus is where you want it, also
    picture size and picture quality are both where you want them.

the thing is when it was on 4.6 on my original 8900 the autofocus when outdoors always took superb pics. now, maybe due to the fact there are different options for autofocus the camera doesn't know what to do when focusing so the quality isn't the same.

what size are your photos in kb?

i used to get 700kb+ i cant figure out how to get photos at that size anymore. any ideas??
    07-09-10 03:48 PM
    My camera is just as good as the 4.6.. Even, better;]
    07-12-10 06:25 AM
    it doesn't help it's so strange its like the autofocus doesn't know what to do so i get poor quality images.

have you upgraded to 5.0.0.681?
    Thats strange...yes my 8900 is on .681.

But i looked at all my Pictures and now i understand what you mean. From December 2008 - May 2009 i was able to take Pictures with over 1,2MB. And from June only <600KB. I always updated to the newest OS.

07-12-10 09:09 AM
    Compression enhancement at a light cost of quality? I still like my pics. Altho I don't do much with them but post on FB and Twitter which compresses them further. Perhaps they did some research on how people were using their phone pics and decided that social media use was so high and compressing the pics anyway that this was a way to save memory and not destroy quality for that medium.

07-12-10 01:29 PM
    Compression enhancement at a light cost of quality? I still like my pics. Altho I don't do much with them but post on FB and Twitter which compresses them further. Perhaps they did some research on how people were using their phone pics and decided that social media use was so high and compressing the pics anyway that this was a way to save memory and not destroy quality for that medium.

The thing is that there is a loss in quality though. They compress the photos and when it gets compressed again for facebook or twitter it gets further compressed leading to a poor quality image. Previously with a larger file size at least it was starting with a higher quality pic which when compressed by facebook at least retains the high quality snap despite the compression.

The thing is I've had so many probs with this replacement, when it arrived with its later version of OS 4.6 the cam would crash every time I opened it (apparently this is quite a common bug for some ppl) so I had to upgrade to 5.0.0.681 which has lead to the loss in quallity. Is it worth me replacing it away?

I think they expect me to send it away again as oppose to having a replacement sent our for a replacement

07-12-10 06:56 PM
    I was under the impression that FB and Twitter always shrunk fiiles to a set size no matter how big the file was to begin with.

07-13-10 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD