I am pretty sure that the BB uses the Edge network right? Does it support 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 04:49 PM
    I am pretty sure that the BB uses the Edge network right? Does it support 3G?

Really? Try using SEARCH and GOOGLE! If you need help on how to use search check out the link in my sig. Also read the BB101 Lecture Series if you havent already!
    08-17-09 04:52 PM
    lol... 1XEV is 3G
    08-17-09 05:02 PM
    Really? Try using SEARCH and GOOGLE! If you need help on how to use search check out the link in my sig. Also read the BB101 Lecture Series if you havent already!
    Ok guy this is a HELP forum, I am new to the BB world still. That is why i asked the question. I thought BB uses Edge that is all..

And i will look in your sig for more info...

BTW what lecture for XEV will i be reading?
    08-17-09 05:14 PM
    Ok guy this is a HELP forum, I am new to the BB world still. That is why i asked the question. I thought BB uses Edge that is all..

I always find it funny when all people do is tell people to use the search function when they ask a question. lol

I guess they could really just close the forum down and use it as a database of information because there really is no question or problem that someone probably hasn't already had or asked here.
    08-17-09 05:19 PM
    Different companies use different tech. GSM uses edge and what is traditionally thought of as 3G. CDMA phones use the 1XEV. 3G simply refers to 3rd gen technology - there is absolutely nothing quantifiable about it. CDMA 3G (1XEV) and GSM 3G (3G) are totally different technologies that produce vastly different results - what all the marketers and advertisers don't want u to know. Different bberries come with different specs to operate on these networks. Some "3G", some not. .

08-17-09 05:22 PM
    does the actualy XEV stand for anything? XE=Voice or something along those lines?
    08-17-09 05:25 PM
    1X is voice signal, EVDO is high speed data.
    08-17-09 05:27 PM
    does the actualy XEV stand for anything? XE=Voice or something along those lines?

I just Google'd it and look what the first hit is........

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=295834
    Last edited by Jim W; 08-17-09 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spell checker FTW
    08-17-09 05:28 PM
    You could have answered his Q in less words than typing out that.
    08-17-09 05:29 PM

Your right everyone is here to help. However, it is expected that one does at least a little research and if nothing then post. This is basic stuff and is everywhere here and internet in general. You were right BB does use edge on GSM carriers.

The lecture series was recommended for you since you are new to BB not specifically towards explaining GSM vs CDMA

1X is your voice signal and EV (EVDO) is your data. EVDO stands for Evolution Data Only
    08-17-09 05:32 PM
    You could have answered his Q in less words than typing out that.
    Your absolutely right Rachel, I could have. I could have also added an answer to the end of my original response.
    08-17-09 05:35 PM
    My guess is the theme creator for the theme you're using didn't leave enough room for all four letters and the "1" is getting chopped off. It should be "1XEV."
    08-17-09 05:42 PM
    I just Google'd it and look what the first hit is........

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=295834
    LOL that is funny!!
    08-17-09 06:01 PM
    Your right everyone is here to help. However, it is expected that one does at least a little research and if nothing then post. This is basic stuff and is everywhere here and internet in general. You were right BB does use edge on GSM carriers.

The lecture series was recommended for you since you are new to BB not specifically towards explaining GSM vs CDMA

1X is your voice signal and EV (EVDO) is your data. EVDO stands for Evolution Data Only
    Trust me i spent the time and read a lot of the lecture series.. But i did not come across one that talked about XEV.. or am i blind?

What does U.S. Cellular use? I am guessing CDMA (3G?)
    08-17-09 06:03 PM
    My guess is the theme creator for the theme you're using didn't leave enough room for all four letters and the "1" is getting chopped off. It should be "1XEV."
    No, I have the "1XEV" on my phone
    08-17-09 06:04 PM
    Gee.... you must really have had a bad day..........
    08-17-09 09:52 PM
    EDGE is not necessarily 3G.
    Some of the terms that get tossed around or are understood by folks can be confusing.
    Anyway - while wikipedia may not always be dead-on accurate, here's a couple of links:
    CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My 8310 for instance, while generally showing "EDGE" is not a 3G phone.
    08-18-09 07:41 AM
    REALLY? My favorite thing is when someone posts a question and someone has to post a smarta%^ reply. I use multiple fourms and there are always a couple people like this. I have a great idea of someone posts something you don't like then don't answer them. It will waste less of your time.

There are lot of benifits to someone asking questions like this. I personally had no interest in his question previously there for would not have looked for an answer, but now I know I feel slightly more educated. WOW! Almost what this site was designed to do, educate people!
    Rant Off

Last edited by tbflaten; 08-18-09 at 04:37 PM.
    08-18-09 04:31 PM
    REALLY? My favorite thing is when someone posts a question and someone has to post a smarta%^ reply. I use multiple fourms and there are always a couple people like this. I have a great idea of someone posts something you don't like then don't answer them. It will waste less of your time.

There is a lot of benifits to someone asking questions like this. I personally had no interest in his question previously therefor would not have looked for an answer, but now I know and feel slightly more educated. WOW! Almost what this sight was designed to do, educate people!
    Rant Off

I really didnt waste my time, but thanks for your concern. Your right the site can educate people and if you need to know something common sense tells us to search it out and if you cannot find an answer you ask someone if they know or know where to find the answer.

Too many times people dont take the time or put in the effort to search outinformation for themselves, and expect everything just given to them. What does that teach? I have no problem helping people and do it a lot around here. I could very well have just answered the question however I wanted the OP to know that that information is everywhere and easy to attain with a simple search.

I was pretty nice about it as there are many around here with fully automatic flamethrowers constantly armed and ready to fire.

Edit: So now that he OP has gotten his answers maybe we could close this thread and if anyone wants to learn more about CDMA EVDO you can check out one of the many threads on CB that discusses it, instead of quoting my original response and dragging this out way more than it needs to be.
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 08-18-09 at 04:42 PM.
    08-18-09 04:38 PM
    dude i am like 4 other forums. i know how to search and what it does. Sometimes you get conflicting answers.

Like i made a post in the Maps & GPS section ( i searched first ) regarding Google Maps not working on a 8330m curve. Some people got it to work others did not. See how it was conflsicting so i thought i would make a post to see if i could get a better answer
    08-18-09 04:49 PM
    Your absolutely right Rachel, I could have. I could have also added an answer to the end of my original response.
    You're not even remotely funny, if you don't want to answer a question, then don't...
    08-18-09 04:55 PM
    dude i am like 4 other forums. i know how to search and what it does. Sometimes you get conflicting answers.

Like i made a post in the Maps & GPS section ( i searched first ) regarding Google Maps not working on a 8330m curve. Some people got it to work others did not. See how it was conflsicting so i thought i would make a post to see if i could get a better answer
    I understand that. People are going to have different experiences with their devices and what works on on may not work on another. Its great to hear the issues and try to find fixes.

My point was that "What does 1XEV mean" is a very common question and is literally everywhere. Type 1XEV into google and the first thing that comes up is a full definition and description. Thats all. Like I said this has been dragged out further than needed. Whatever
    08-18-09 04:58 PM
    Actually, EVDO stands for Enhanced Voice Data Only. EVDO Rev A you either got really fast Data or you got good Voice. With EVDO Rev B you can get both DATA and Voice at the same time and technically Rev A is 3G but with a slow upload speed
    08-18-09 05:00 PM
    I'm going to jump in and back-up jgutie on this one.

The OP has what 80 posts? And has started 18 threads to date. Most of them asking questions that have been answered numerous times and or the information is available if the OP had read through the BB 101 Lecture series.

So yes, the OP should've done a proper search. Especially if they are as experienced a forum member as they claim they are.
    08-18-09 05:07 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD