What are some things you recommend I do out of the box with my 8900?
    08-05-09 08:21 PM
    Upgrade to the latest OS - current official OS I believe is .250.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 08:28 PM

That would be smart.
    08-05-09 08:39 PM
    Right out of the box? Pick it up, turn it on, and never put it down.

08-05-09 10:00 PM
    Right out of the box? Pick it up, turn it on, and never put it down.

HA! I assume that will be me! i don't have it yet, but I do think I'm going to be a Berry for life
    08-05-09 10:46 PM
    Enjoy it have fun with it.

08-05-09 10:50 PM
    Enjoy it have fun with it.

Not too much fun...
    08-05-09 10:57 PM
    Get lots of sleep before you get it... You will definitely have some sleepless nights lol

08-05-09 11:41 PM
    Get lots of sleep before you get it... You will definitely have some sleepless nights lol

I definitely will! I just hope the parents don't see late night texts!
    08-05-09 11:44 PM
    I'm also a new BB user.
    My phone should be here on Tuesday.
    My sister had the Curve 8320 and upgraded to the 8900 last week.
    I love the phone, and decided to order one as well !

Leaving my G1 behind.

Is .250 stable?

08-08-09 08:48 AM
    Out of the Box: Get to know your device... get to know your device before you upgrade your OS... you need to know how your device acts and what it does before you attempt to upgrade your OS... a great way to get to know your device is to read the Blackberry 101 lessons... I've added a link to my signature below... you can also find a link under "Blackberry Help" at the top of every Forum page.
    08-08-09 09:15 AM
    That would be smart.
    Bad advice. Get familiar with your 8900 before even thinking about upgrading the OS. Find out how things work, and set it up to your liking. Then after using it for a month or two, maybe think about upgrading the OS.
    08-08-09 10:25 AM
    I'm also a new BB user.
    My phone should be here on Tuesday.
    My sister had the Curve 8320 and upgraded to the 8900 last week.
    I love the phone, and decided to order one as well !

Leaving my G1 behind.

Is .250 stable?

I came over from a G1 too. .250 has been the best OS I have had on my 8900 to date.

08-08-09 11:52 AM

Is it? I thought the latest official one was .231. Either way, I like .250 better.

08-08-09 11:53 AM
    Is it? I thought the latest official one was .231. Either way, I like .250 better.

You are the second person not to know about .250 I've seen today... does no one look at the Sticky threads on this forum... .250 has been the latest OS for about 2 months now.
    08-08-09 11:59 AM
    I am on a Mac so I don't have desktop manager setup here, I have it on my PC @ home. What's the easiest way to upgrade the os to .250? Can it only be done by PC is really what I am asking? Right now I think I am still running on v4.6.1.114.
    Last edited by Gmaxxx; 08-08-09 at 12:45 PM.
    08-08-09 12:27 PM

this is soooo true... i try to go to bed early than i start playing with my phone and hours pass by and im heading to bed at 3 to 4am.
    08-08-09 02:00 PM
    Bad advice. Get familiar with your 8900 before even thinking about upgrading the OS. Find out how things work, and set it up to your liking. Then after using it for a month or two, maybe think about upgrading the OS.
    What would be the benefits of upgrading after a month or two? Why would one want to get comfortable with the old OS before moving onto a new one?
    It's like telling someone to use XP SP1 before getting them to upgrade to SP2 a month or two after getting used to the old one. They'll just need to get used to the new features/options available to them so why not save some hassle and use the new one straight away?
    08-08-09 02:04 PM
    What would be the benefits of upgrading after a month or two? Why would one want to get comfortable with the old OS before moving onto a new one?
    It's like telling someone to use XP SP1 before getting them to upgrade to SP2 a month or two after getting used to the old one. They'll just need to get used to the new features/options available to them so why not save some hassle and use the new one straight away?
    No, you are missing the point entirely. There is no need for a newbie to upgrade their OS until they are very familiar with their device. Same goes for someone who is new to using a computer and you tell them to update their OS, that's not something you do. On top of this, there can potentially be hardware problems with the device and since it is new there is a period of time where you can bring the phone back for a replacement. There is no reason to complicate this process with attempting to install a different OS on the device.
    08-08-09 02:30 PM
    I also can't wait to get mine should be here this week I already know that I will be ignoring the kids for a few days while I learn and add all the stuff I want to it and locate activation codes for the stuff I paid for on my 8120

08-08-09 02:31 PM
    No, you are missing the point entirely. There is no need for a newbie to upgrade their OS until they are very familiar with their device. Same goes for someone who is new to using a computer and you tell them to update their OS, that's not something you do. On top of this, there can potentially be hardware problems with the device and since it is new there is a period of time where you can bring the phone back for a replacement. There is no reason to complicate this process with attempting to install a different OS on the device.
    I get you but I guess it depends on the type of person... for me, I always update my stuff before using it :-)
    08-08-09 03:08 PM
    Exactly my point. Thanks.

DefconN..... comparing Rim's OS to Winblows is a poor analogy. Windows doesn't work right out of the gate. You NEED to update that.
    08-08-09 09:19 PM
    How come when I did a update it updated to .231 and not .250?
    08-08-09 10:01 PM
    Toy with it for a while until u really get accustomed with all its features and behavior. Knowing ur BB is another good advice.. u should play with it, get to know each other until there's a perfect bonding between the two of u.

There's logically no need to rush things and upgrading to the latest OS. During my first 3 months I stayed with .114 without ever having a single glitch or bugs and I really liked it. The only reason I decided to do upgrade to .250 was only because my curiousity took control over me

I personally think every BB has a unique character and it solemnly depends on how its owner treat them.

Last edited by durexity; 08-09-09 at 05:39 PM.
    08-09-09 05:34 PM
    Every single person on here who is new and just getting their BB:

You need to LEARN your device before you go screwing with updates/upgrades. If you don't learn it first, you will be back here posting threads begging for help on how to help fix it.

Would you get in the cockpit of an airplane and attempt to fly before learning how to first? LEARN your BB and then, when you're comfortable with it, consider updates/upgrades.
    08-09-09 05:46 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD