NO!

The G1 is a nice phone (especially with it being an HTC who to me don't make to great of phones) and the Android is a great O.S (only because they stole the space twice for a period that the blackberry has) but it's a pain. The browser is amazing, best browser i've seen on a phone yet but the speed isn't as fast as my Blackberry which is a draw back Sprints REV 0 is way faster, touch screen is cool, but doesn't work in the cold too well. and the battery HORRIBLE compared to my BB, and the keybaord is flush with the chassis of the phone... , and i'm not sure but theres no way to close apps so they continue to run in the background and make my phone hot in my pocket draining the battery even more, and theres no ambient light sensor......
    and there is no video recorder! and no copy and paste...
    the form fact sucks but is kind of good in a way, since the menu key is used to unlock it with the end being curved it makes it hard for the menu key to be pressed accidentally
    i'm gonna keep the phone though since it was near free for me

compared to my iphone I'd pick the Android O.S over it any day, pretty powerful phone but it's still no blackberry, maybe on the next go round' google? nope i doubt it since the Thunder/Storm will probably rain over any other robot named phone you put out there
    10-24-08 06:54 AM
    Very nice, I've been waiting for a review of this phone.

Ill stick with my curve!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-08 08:16 AM
    G1 is defiently a great looking phone, i been goin thru a delima the past week whether to decide to go with a G1 or a curve. They still have alot of development to be done with the g1 and i didnt wanna wait that long so i decided to go wit the curve since t-mobile wants to be last to get all the great new blackberrys that are comin out
    10-24-08 08:25 AM
    NO!

The G1 is a nice phone (especially with it being an HTC who to me don't make to great of phones) and the Android is a great O.S (only because they stole the space twice for a period that the blackberry has) but it's a pain. The browser is amazing, best browser i've seen on a phone yet but the speed isn't as fast as my Blackberry which is a draw back Sprints REV 0 is way faster, touch screen is cool, but doesn't work in the cold too well. and the battery HORRIBLE compared to my BB, and the keybaord is flush with the chassis of the phone... , and i'm not sure but theres no way to close apps so they continue to run in the background and make my phone hot in my pocket draining the battery even more, and theres no ambient light sensor......
    the form fact sucks but is kind of good in a way, since the menu key is used to unlock it with the end being curved it makes it hard for the menu key to be pressed accidentally

compared to my iphone I'd pick the Android O.S over it any day, pretty powerful phone but it's still no blackberry, maybe on the next go round' google? nope i doubt it since the Thunder/Storm will probably rain over any other robot named phone you put out there

Doesn't sound like you're gonna keep it to me
    10-24-08 09:43 AM
    Hahahaha BB rules again!

10-24-08 09:53 AM
    One of my good friends has the G1 and she loves it but then again, she's never had a Blackberry.
    10-24-08 10:47 AM
    Sounds like you answered your own question...
    10-24-08 10:50 AM
    I played with a G1 the other day and I found it to be awful. Not to mention terribly ugly.
    10-24-08 10:51 AM
    Terrible review. "It sucks but it's good" WTF???

10-24-08 10:55 AM
    NO!

It sounds like there aren't many aspects of the phone to like. Aside from the Browser what about the phone do you like enough to keep it? It sounds like a failure from what I read.
    10-24-08 11:01 AM
    Terrible review. "It sucks but it's good" WTF???

LMFAO! Yeah, that was funny.

10-24-08 11:48 AM
    Terrible review. "It sucks but it's good" WTF?
    I don't think anyone asked you to critique the OP...

10-24-08 12:08 PM
    How about you go get an G1 and write a review. The phone has its ups and downs, I've had a tmobile account which I had my sidekick and used my jail broken iphone on, and nextel which I switched to sprint to get a BlackBerry and removed my sidekicks voice plan to a data plan just to keep my account open. I replaced my sk with a G1 and yes I'm keeping the G1 as well as my BlackBerry for sure

The phone has many useful free apps and probably will have more free apps that we're paying $20+ for.
    And the google maps+ turn by turn street view is awesome. Has an app that let's you take pictures of barcodes and it'll show you other places where you can get that item for cheaper through online stores or local stores...

Awesome phone probably more to come through updates but the BlackBerry may not do as much but it does everything well

10-24-08 06:48 PM
    I've only read negative reviews about the G1. Battery life, no video recording, weird shape, and no 3.5mm headset jack kind of kill it for me. I'd use it as a secondary phone yes. But I wouldn't give up my BB for it. I hope it works for you though. I just had a friend ditch his pearl for the G1. I'm so sad.
    10-24-08 06:51 PM
    I played with a G1 the other day and I found it to be awful. Not to mention terribly ugly.

exactly!!!!!!
    10-24-08 07:05 PM
    I've only read negative reviews about the G1. Battery life, no video recording, weird shape, and no 3.5mm headset jack kind of kill it for me. I'd use it as a secondary phone yes. But I wouldn't give up my BB for it. I hope it works for you though. I just had a friend ditch his pearl for the G1. I'm so sad.
    no copy and paste is a killer for me.. i would hate to have no battery life either. All in all its an iphone in a different body.
    10-24-08 07:12 PM
    and theirs no way to close running apps. So they keep running in the background making my phone really hot. I guess that's why the battery drains so fast

10-25-08 09:11 AM
    I had my BB Curve for 2 weeks then traded it for the G1 last week. I still have 2 weeks (30 day phone trades on new accounts) to make up my mind. I think I'll be returning the G1 and get my Curve back.

It's a very cool phone in many ways. Lots of cool apps, screen is big and clear: very enjoyable to surf the web on. Combination of touch-screen, keyboard, and trackball making navigating easy.

However, the battery life sucks on it. You can't go a whole work day without charging, even with wifi,3G, and bluetooth turned off! It's heavier, longer, thicker. Doesn't as many options as the BB does to configure it to your liking. Call quality is not as good as the BB. Even thought the keyboard is bigger, I still can't type as fast as on the BB. It's hard to feel the keys and the end of the phone gets in the way of the right hand.

So I'm probably going to use it for another week (if I last that long) and swap it out for another Curve 8320. I miss it...

edit: Forgot to mention another big issue: You can't get hotmail accounts to work with the G1 email app UNLESS you upgrade your hotmail account for $19! Your forced to use the web browser to check mail. I didn't have this issue with the BB.
    Last edited by brhinehart; 10-25-08 at 02:02 PM.
    10-25-08 01:59 PM
    I saw it today for the 1st time. Got to play with it. Was not very impressed but I'm sure @180.00 they will sell their share. I'm waiting for T-Mobile to release the Bold unless I can upgrade the memory on my Curve.

10-25-08 02:44 PM
    I don't think anyone asked you to critique the OP...

No one needed to; but thank you very much for your unsolicited opinion on my post.

10-25-08 05:46 PM
    When you use a phone, it's got to look good as well as work good. I fell in love with my red Curve the minute I saw it. The color was outstanding and whole phone design was just so sexy!

Same with my white iPhone. It just looks so awesome.

The G1 does nothing for me. The whole design just kills the desire to even want one.
    10-25-08 08:39 PM
    About a month ago my unlocked BB Curve 8310 that I used on T-Mobile was stolen from me. Rather than buy a new phone at full price, I decided to pay the contract cancel fee and get another blackberry on another network. However, Sprint call quality was bad. Verizon had locked GPS, AT&T only had 3g for the iPhone (the only 3g phone I was interested in that they had) which I tried, but the browser kept crashing and using it was rather annoying - I felt boxed in with no options. Good thing all those companies have the 30 day trial - I went through about 5 or 6 phones between the 3 companies.

I tried the G1 about 2 weeks ago for a second at a mall kiosk, and didn't like it. However, something brought me back to give it a second try and after some weighing of the options, I bought the G1 and returned the iPhone to AT&T. It was nice of T-Mobile to waive the $200 cancellation since I decided to come back to them.

Now I have had the G1 for 2 days and here is my review as compared to an iPhone 3g and a Blackberry Curve (and I am making this as unbiased as possible and have been a blackberry fanatic for years):

Fast. This phone does everything extremely fast. Surfing the internet even with Edge is almost as fast as the iPhone on 3g. When the 3g does kick in with T-Mobiles spotty new 3g coverage that they are working on, it just screams.

The lack of auto-dimming screen is a huge miss for me, but it only takes about 20 seconds to manually dim the screen.

Battery life is pretty poor - possibly even worse than the iPhone. However I have a charger at work, two at home, and one in my car, so it is rare that the phone needs to be unplugged anyway. I seem to get about 4 hours or so of talk time (and yes, I have actually done it multiple times already). I am thinking that as the Android OS gets updated that they may address battery life.

Internet Browsing: Doesn't get any better than the G1, period.

Copy and paste would be nice, and I am sure it will come - think about it, this is Google we are talking about. They are innovative and always make things convenient.

I LOVE, absolutely LOVE that this G1 automatically syncs with my Google Contacts, Calendar, and Email. Not to mention the Push Email works just like on a Blackberry.

The 3 MegaPixel camera is pretty good (way better than the iPhone). I like that you go to take a picture and push the button, it delays, auto focuses, lets you know it is ready, and then you push the button down all the way and it snaps a picture.

Summary:

Pros:
    Fast at everything
    Good Pictures
    OTA Firmware updates
    Big Screen
    Excellent browser
    Full keyboard keeps you from having to use alt button all the time
    Android Marketplace has lots of potential

Cons:
    Poor battery life
    The keyboard doesn't have distinguishing marks to guide your thumbs without looking
    Phone is still new and I am sure that there are lots of updates to come (this could be a pro I suppose)
    Last edited by kasl33; 11-03-08 at 10:36 AM.
    11-03-08 09:55 AM
    no copy and paste is a killer for me.. i would hate to have no battery life either. All in all its an iphone in a different body.
    That's not true. The G1 DOES have copy and paste.

If you go to a form and hold your finger down on a line or word, it brings up a menu after a couple seconds to copy or cut or paste, etc.

then you hold your finger down somewhere else where you want to paste and select the paste option.
    11-03-08 10:37 AM
    They should call it the HTC "Tara Reid" because it's ugly and it's slow and it can't seem to find anyone to take it home.
    11-03-08 11:44 AM
    They should call it the HTC "Tara Reid" because it's ugly and it's slow and it can't seem to find anyone to take it home.
    lmao
    you crack me up!

11-03-08 11:52 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD