So I'm in Northern Virginia and I have Cox cable. I've been having issues with my cable going out and getting all pixelated sometimes. I was texting someone just now as I'm watching TV and realized that the TV screws up just before I get a text or BB message, and just after I send one. I've heard interference in computer speakers and stuff before, but never even thought my cable TV reception would be affected. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this problem? It's annoying the crap out of me because I already have enough cable problems as it is!
    01-05-09 06:42 PM
    Not sure, but funny story, out at my fiances parents house, there tv does the same thing, they are in CO, no cable though, just antenna tv.. we noticed last year that when we would text each other (yeah somethings cant be said outloud lol - other end of the couch) there tv would mess up too, we eventually figured this out, so started texting even more, but I couldnt hold my laughter in anymore. heh
    01-05-09 06:45 PM
    Sounds like typical "GSM Buzz".
    Filters on the cable line should cure it.

If you search "GSM BUZZ" you will find a wrath of info.
    01-05-09 06:51 PM
    That Crazy GSM Buzz

The cause of this buzzing has to do with GSM's "time division" nature. The ever-knowledgeable Keith Nowak, spokesperson for Nokia, explains it as follows: "[[With GSM]] the RF transmitter is turned on/off at a fast rate, and that 'pulsing' is often picked up by nearby devices that don't have good RF shielding. In the case of GSM the pulse rate is 217 Hz, which can be easily heard."

Verizon and Sprint CDMA phones don't have this buzzing sound because their transmitter is on most of the time, according to Nowak. As a result, the pulsing effect generally doesn't occur.

"The interference to other devices is worse the further the phone is from the cellular tower," Nowak continued. "This is because the network requires the phone to transmit at a higher level the further away it is from the tower. In addition, the interference to a device will be worse the closer the phone is to the device being interfered with."
    01-05-09 06:54 PM
    I used 2 hav ATT phone and it always did that 2 tv rite b4 a phone call/or incomin txt. Doesn't do it now that I'm on Alltel. When friends come over with ATT/CellOne/Tmob or other GSM this occurs. Evidently this is a GSM issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 07:03 PM
    Thank you for the explanation AG. I always wondered about that.
    I used to have Nextel...that phone (for what ever reason) seemed to affect a whole city block!
    01-05-09 07:47 PM
    does the same thing to the radio in my truck
    01-05-09 09:30 PM
    I can see this happening with a radio or something with speakers, but messing up my cable from across the room? I was a good 12-15 feet from my cable box and this usually only happens when I'm a few feet away from a set of speakers.

So I guess there is no cure at the moment. That really sucks because its annoying as ****, making my TV fuzzy for at least 3-5 seconds each time.

What kind of shielding can I put on my cable so it won't do this? Or am I screwed?

Edit: I found a site called stopthebuzzin.com that supposedly has a product to reduce or stop this GSM Buzz issue. From the small pics on their site, it looks like a normal anti-static bag that any sort of computer hardware is packaged in. I just so happen to have an old laptop hard drive on my desk at home, so I'm going to try and put a piece of it inside the battery door and see if that solves the problem. If not, then put it inside my gel cover. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by sunburned; 01-06-09 at 09:56 AM.
    01-06-09 09:48 AM
    My old phone would do that to my car radio! Its good to know I'm not crazy lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD