Guys/Gals,

I know it's come up before but I just have to reiterate that the weak vibrate on the 8900 SUCKS! It was soooo much stronger on my 8320.

My BB sits on my desk at work and I keep it on vibrate. It doesn't make a peep when a message comes in....I have to keep looking over to see if my red light is blinking....

Any chance a future software update would remedy this or is it purely a hardware issue? A major downer for me.....
    02-17-09 10:05 AM
    it bothered me in the beginning but I'm ok with it now. Could it be better? Absolutely. However, when i'm at work, I have it on my desk so whenever I get a call or message, I can feel it vibrating on the desk. Outside of the office, I have my ringer on with vib using BuzzMe.
    02-17-09 10:11 AM
    So the 8900 is just like the bold. It is extremely annoying that this huge device doesnt make any noise unless its on loud. But I think they have a vib+ring app that helps.
    02-17-09 11:23 AM
    So the 8900 is just like the bold. It is extremely annoying that this huge device doesnt make any noise unless its on loud. But I think they have a vib+ring app that helps.
    Well im sure the vibration is weak due to the size of our phones, but Id think the BOLD would have a decent vibration on it lol.
    02-17-09 11:26 AM
    Well im sure the vibration is weak due to the size of our phones, but Id think the BOLD would have a decent vibration on it lol.
    Why would it matter? The vibration on my 8320 was fantastic and it is a slightly larger device
    02-17-09 11:39 AM
    i agree, the vibration on the 8900 is a lot weaker and i liked it how the 8320 had a stronger vibration because when i would walk around with the phone in my pocket, i can feel the 8320 vibrate and the 8900, i cant even feel it... just wish the phone had a stronger vibration function...
    02-17-09 11:57 AM
    It just doesn't make sense to me. A great improved device in so many areas but this is definitely a step backwards IMO.
    02-17-09 12:06 PM
    My 8900's vibration seems fine. It's definitely no worse than the 8100 and 8120 phones I have owned.
    02-17-09 12:10 PM
    My 8900's vibration seems fine. It's definitely no worse than the 8100 and 8120 phones I have owned.
    I had a Pearl a couple of years back but can't remember the vibe strength. It's perfect on the 8320 though IMO. The 8900 is A LOT weaker. I wonder if it makes a difference that you're running .133 and I'm on .114.
    02-17-09 12:17 PM
    I actually prefer that it doesn't vibrate as loud, just because of school. If I have it in my pocket, I can feel it, but you can't hear it going off all the way across the room.
    02-17-09 12:27 PM
    no problem with the 8900 vibe or ring her.
    02-17-09 01:29 PM
    Vibrate intensity is purely a hardware function, controlled by the relative masses of the vibrator and phone body. It's a fine balance between increased mass (vibrate) and reduced mass (marketing feature).

The choice is to live with it or go back to your old phone.
    02-17-09 01:59 PM
    Just a thought but due to the weaksauce battery life on this device, is it possible RIM knew of the issue and toned down the vibe in an attempt to preserve (i.e. compensate) the battery life? Same would go for the weak speaker and ear piece volume!

02-17-09 02:28 PM
    sometimes my phone is sitting rite next to me and i cant here the vibrate
    02-17-09 04:03 PM
    sometimes my phone is sitting rite next to me and i cant here the vibrate
    Exactly what I'm complaining about!
    02-17-09 04:08 PM
    the other half no longer disappears with my 8900 in the middle of the night like she did with the 8320...
    02-17-09 04:17 PM
    Then you wonder why you have so many missed calls on your BB from your landline..
    02-17-09 04:19 PM
    have any o/s upgrades addressed the lack of vibration?

tell me what to install....please....
    02-19-09 10:13 AM
    I'm gonna bump this.

I've had my 8900 for a few days and the vibration is my least favourite part (not loud ringing is my second peeve).

I'm moving from an HTC Touch, which is a smaller phone but has way better vibration.
    03-16-09 11:47 AM
    no problems with mine i feel it vibrate when its in my pocket i think vibrate is for feel and not for hearing
    03-16-09 11:56 AM
    I'm gonna bump this.

I've had my 8900 for a few days and the vibration is my least favourite part (not loud ringing is my second peeve).

I'm moving from an HTC Touch, which is a smaller phone but has way better vibration.
    If you upgrade your OS to 1.33 or higher, you'll notice a dramatic increase in ringer volume. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do about the vibration.

I'm on Rogers and running the latest .168 OS and it works fine! It's not released by Rogers yet, but I wouldn't wait if I were you. Check the sticky at the top of this section for the upgrade file & procedure.
    03-16-09 11:57 AM
    i think vibrate is for feel and not for hearing
    I'm right there with you on this, I thought the vibe feature was for feel as well. Personally i like the fact that I can set it on the desk and not have it buzz itself off the desk. And honestly don't you think hearing the buzz is just as distracting as a ring tone?
    03-16-09 04:54 PM
    I don't see the vibrate as a problem. I can feel it in my pocket, and even feel or sometimes hear the vibration on my office desk.
    03-16-09 05:20 PM
    I have no problem with the vibe on mine, loud and I always feel it. Maybe I have good ears?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 05:22 PM
    Ok, I'm glad to see there is already a thread discussing the very weak vibration of the 8900, I was very surprised with how dull it is and wondered if my phone was defective!

Regardless of vibration intensity of any phone sometimes I just don't feel it if my phone is in my pocket and I'm wearing somewhat loose fitting slacks or shorts. However, when its important for me to feel my phone I will wear it on my belt in a holster, OEM at that. Examples include going to a concert, bar, lawn mowing, etc--a loud environment nonetheless. But, I'm even having trouble feeling the phone when it's in the holster! This is slightly annoying...

Just to add additional thoughts, the Bold vibration is stronger, maybe not as strong as the 83XX series but it is much more reasonable. The 95XX vibration is also weak, less than the Bold but more than the 8900.

The device is extremely small and light so I do understand the physical limitations on the vibrator hardware. But, I'm also thinking this could have been done on purpose by RIM. Since the BlackBerry is a business device first they may have realized that being on vibrate isn't so quite when you're in a meeting. If the room is silent with a person presenting a phone on vibrate can be just as distracting as one ringing--6 intense audible vibrations in a row is a legitimate distraction and could be embarrassing. I know I've had to "silence" my phone when it starting vibrating in a meeting--and if I really wanted to be safe I would use the "xOff" profile. So, at least from a business perspective there could have been some reasoning behind it. well, at least it kind of makes me feel better if there was a reason for it.

Afterall, BBs have always vibrated weaker than other manufactures phones because RIM expected you to be a business person wearing the phone on your belt in the holster it came with. just some food for thought
    03-18-09 11:25 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD