my phone got wet when it was face up.. im not sure how long it was in water for it got rained on.. the phone will turn on and i can use the ball to move around the screen none of the buttons will work though.. the water damage stickers are still white can i recover any info that was on the phone? my contact numbers were saved to the phone instead of the sim card.( i didnt know).. is there anyway to get the info off?!

thanks
    ashleigh
    08-29-09 07:37 PM
    First off, take the battery out IMMEDIATELY!!!

Next, put your device and your battery (still out of the device) into a bag of dry rice and leave it in there for 3 days. After that, you have a good chance of having the device back to normal. The longer you leave the battery in there, the more likely it will become permanently damaged.
    08-29-09 07:40 PM
    Do what aristile said!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 07:56 PM
    my phone got wet when it was face up.. im not sure how long it was in water for it got rained on.. the phone will turn on and i can use the ball to move around the screen none of the buttons will work though.. the water damage stickers are still white can i recover any info that was on the phone? my contact numbers were saved to the phone instead of the sim card.( i didnt know).. is there anyway to get the info off?!

thanks
    ashleigh
    I once ran an old Motorola through the clothes washer. An entire wash cycle. Was washing whites so the water was set on HOT too.

Found the phone in the bottom of the washing machine when I was taking the clothes out of the machine. Took the battery out. Took the battery cover off and left it all sitting exposed to air for 3 days before I tried anything.

After 3 days, I put the battery back in and put the phone all back together and was shocked that it worked. The only residual damage was the "8" key never again lit up and the water damage sticker inside the phone glowed red.

I had just bought my first BlackBerry so I didn't need to use the Motorola anymore. If I ever had a phone I needed exposed to water, I'd just assume it was a loss and I'd go out and buy a new one.
    08-29-09 08:16 PM

thanks
    ashleigh
    I hate to say this but seeing your post reminded me to back up my blackberry. Have you tried drying it out. Take it apart and use hairdryer on a low setting. Sometimes, that will rescue things. Sorry. I would be devastated. I believe my life is on my blackberry. Do you have insurance on it?
    Last edited by lynnpudas; 08-29-09 at 10:15 PM.
    08-29-09 10:07 PM
    I once ran an old Motorola through the clothes washer. An entire wash cycle. Was washing whites so the water was set on HOT too.

Found the phone in the bottom of the washing machine when I was taking the clothes out of the machine. Took the battery out. Took the battery cover off and left it all sitting exposed to air for 3 days before I tried anything.

After 3 days, I put the battery back in and put the phone all back together and was shocked that it worked. The only residual damage was the "8" key never again lit up and the water damage sticker inside the phone glowed red.

I had just bought my first BlackBerry so I didn't need to use the Motorola anymore. If I ever had a phone I needed exposed to water, I'd just assume it was a loss and I'd go out and buy a new one.
    LOL, I did you one better. I not only laundered my razr but I also dried it. When I took it out of the dryer, it came out with the back, phone and battery in 3 pieces. It worked but never the same. A lot of keys you'd have to hit 3 times before it would register, The directional thingees only worked sometimes. Unfortunately, I was a year and 1/2 from upgrade time so not so lucky as you. I ended up getting a crap nokia gophone, sticking my sim card in it and used it. But it was a crap phone. I've had 3 nokias. When I was upgrading, almost got tempted by the nokia E71 but then I said, no, no nokias anymore.
    08-29-09 10:13 PM
    Awww (not that I need to tell/remind you but...) That SUXX! I hope you get it working.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 10:32 PM
    I hate to say this but seeing your post reminded me to back up my blackberry. Have you tried drying it out. Take it apart and use hairdryer on a low setting. Sometimes, that will rescue things. Sorry. I would be devastated. I believe my life is on my blackberry. Do you have insurance on it?
    I highly recommend that you use the "rice trick" before a hair dryer. There's no reason to potentially compound your problem by applying heat to your device. Heat and water are both bad for electronics.
    08-29-09 10:37 PM

yea im getting a new phone on monday.. but it wont have anythign from my other phone.. its it rice hopefully i can jus back it up when it works!
    08-30-09 12:15 AM
    I highly recommend that you use the "rice trick" before a hair dryer. There's no reason to potentially compound your problem by applying heat to your device. Heat and water are both bad for electronics.
    Thank heavens, he's getting a new phone. But you are probably right about the heat. Somebody told me that so I passed it on. But I would definitely defer to anyone else. I'm not an electronic whiz by any stretch of the imagination. I wish I'd know about the rice when I plopped a phone in the toilet (several years ago). I did pull the battery though. I wasn't at home so I don't know that the rice would have worked. But I will try to keep that tip in mind. Preferably though, I'd rather not have to use it.
    08-30-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD