Hey guys,

Today I had my Blackberry Curve in my pocket at Busch Gardens, but I went on the Roman Rapids ride and my pants got way more soaked than I had anticipated. My phone was in my pocket and got soaked as well, and when I pulled it out, it wouldn't turn on. Well, I should say that, I should just say that the screen was blank. Now, I took the battery out, and noticed that the water damage strip had little pink red X's on it, but the water damage strip on the phone itself is still just fully white.

When I put the battery in the phone, the light in the top right turns red, but the screen remains black. The screen has a bit of condensation inside of it and it is getting foggy due to that condensation. That is the only water that I've found on the phone still. I don't think that the battery is dead because that light turns on, so do you just think that the screen is dead?

I plan to take it to the Verizon store tomorrow, but will they be able to fix it without me having to pay large fees? Thanks guys.
    08-09-09 12:12 AM
    I actually dropped mine in the toilet bowl and when I fished it out it was dead. I took it apart and left it for 24 hours to dry out but no luck. Then my wife found a really loony tip in a forum ... put it in a bag of rice for a few days. I told her she was crazy because it was dead. But she put it in a ziploc bag of rice. A few days later I found the bag lying around and decided to take out the phone as it obviously wasn't going to work. I put it back together and plugged in the charger.

After about 10 muntes I suddenly heard a noise and saw the screen start to come to life.

Believe it or not, the phone was back and working like normal
    08-09-09 12:21 AM
    Put in a sealed plastic bag with dry rice. Make sure you remove the battery. Let it dry out for 2-3 days before you try it. It doesn't sound good but maybe you can save it.
    08-09-09 12:23 AM
    I wish I could do that, and that's what people keep telling me. My biggest problem is that I'm at someone else's house for the weekend and I need my phone to get home for my VZ Navigator. I need to get it fixed tomorrow. I appreciate the advice though.
    08-09-09 12:24 AM
    I wish I could do that, and that's what people keep telling me. My biggest problem is that I'm at someone else's house for the weekend and I need my phone to get home for my VZ Navigator. I need to get it fixed tomorrow. I appreciate the advice though.
    You can't. Just trying it with the battery again can damage the phone. You MUST suck out the water for a few days in order to prevent further damage to the phone. Rice is highly water absorbent and that is why it works. Be a friend to your phone and do right by it. Rushing things will just wind up with a dead phone. Turning it on with any water or condensation is just asking for trouble.
    08-09-09 04:47 AM
    i used to shower with my old one all the time and i accidentally got it wet with the shower head once--dont ask---;p lol...i put my blow dryer on cool and dryed it and the next day it started back working...
    08-09-09 05:03 AM
    Have to get home? What about maps.google.com, or mapquest? Or a Rand McNally road atlas?

Only way Verizon's going to replace your phone is if you purchase a new one. Outright. They kind of don't like water damage.

Another tip I read regarding the rice is first rinse it with DISTILLED water. The "regular" water has crap in it (minerals, chlorine, rust, etc) which leaves deposits behind. Getting those out first will make it a happier phone once dried out with rice.

Umm, good luck and stay away from a water park with a phone next time?
    08-09-09 06:54 AM
    To the OP, water damage is not going to be covered by the phone warranty. So Verizon is going to refer you to Ausurion if you have insurance. If you do not have insurance, then you are going to have to explore other options.
    08-09-09 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD