Well I finally solved my issue. Took me another 12 hours to figure it out but I finally had a breakthrough.

I thought I would try and see if it did it in safe mode and various other incarnations. Well I finally narrowed it down to a piece of software from "Altrixsoft.com". It is a an HDD inspection program that was creating the issue. Not entirely sure why but I went through the Services tab in MSCONFIG and went MFG by MFG re-enabling things from the bottom up. Yes I know I should have started from the top but I did not think that one small piece would create the issue especially with iTunes and Symantec software on there as well. Low and behold it was that one small piece. I disabled it and the connection has not dropped yet.

I am a VERY happy camper and celebrating with some Jack Daniels!

My apologies to RIM for any ill remarks. The problem was caused by another piece of software unrelated to them.

Cheers and thank you everyone for your help!!

Wolfie
    Last edited by whitewolf; 05-31-08 at 09:22 PM.
    05-31-08 09:16 PM
    Almost forgot, I think I figured out what the other software was trying to do.

It was detecting that a storage device was attached to the system and was trying to take control of it. Why it was shutting down and rebooting is beyond me but that is my theory.

With that said other that as having problems with this issue please try working your MSCONFIG services and startup tabs. There very well might be something in there creating the problem.
    05-31-08 09:34 PM
    glad you got it working Whitewolf......

Gmav do a battery pull, connect the device to USB, put battery back in. After it cycles and turns on let me know what happens.

Obviously have DM running........

Permissions on the Device also could be causing this...one thing at a time though.
    05-31-08 10:18 PM
    Wolfie
    You are simply brilliant......that's good attack process to debug the issue - to start with Safe mode and if it works narrow it down using msconfig. don't know why it did not cross my mind.

I nailed it down....it's working consistently now..Thanks to you..I spent lot of time on this...I'm glad we got to bottom of this, else it would be bugging me and vzw/rim will not fix for us...

in my case the culprit was bblauncher.exe. It's bounce back launcher, one of the backup programs I got it with some external hard drives..

I always had that suspicion that it's to do with the storage detection..now it makes sense, the bblauncher kind of spies on what kind of storage devices are connected etc ..Obviously there is some conflict causing this, but I'm not going to debug what's causing this...

I can either start the Bounce Back manually or just whenever I need to curve to be connected, just terminate the bblauncher.exe..

Just in time for my trip, I'm glad it�s fixed..now I can use my BB as modem to get connected to net. instead of paying 40 dollar internet connection fee in the hotel

Thanks a bunch!!

Guys and gals, whoever still has the problem, it's case by case scenario..debug through using the msconfig..you will have to go through many reboots but keep taking intelligent guesses on what could be causing the issue, you will get there.

Castor, sorry but I have tried the battery pulls many times...
    05-31-08 11:09 PM
    Very glad you got it working before your trip Gmav. I am so happy, I am almost giddy. I have been able to backup my Curve, add some themes and update my contacts.

FINALLY!

For some reason the Curve seems to be very picky about what programs try to attach to it.
    06-01-08 12:08 AM
    Wolf & Gmav...........U guys saved my sanity.

I spent a total of 12 (actual accumulated hours) hours trying to resolve this. I also took my Curve back to Verizon after the first RIM techie hosed my first one by telling me that "it will stay connected long enough to re-install the OS". My Pearl was always working--still does and it never had a problem.

After 5 hours on the phone with my 2nd RIM support guy, I decided to completely re-load Windows on my computer.......that was fun! Finally, everything was working until............I installed ONE LAST PROGRAM.

After reading Gmav's post I realized I had the same problem "Bounce Back Launcher", which backs up my files on an external drive. I closed the program and BINGO, everything works fine now!

The not so funny part of this is that every tech support person I talked to said they had not seen or heard of this problem before.........hmmmmm.

Anyway, thanks you guys.......more than you'll ever know. Forums rock. Problem solved waaaaaay before the guys who actually get paid have even figured it out.

I hope somebody sends this to the poor folks at RIM.
    06-02-08 11:15 PM

I hope somebody sends this to the poor folks at RIM.
    Why don't you?

(glad to hear that things worked out)
    06-03-08 07:04 AM
    I have strived in vain myself with this issue - 16 hours or so, lots of re-installs of drivers, RIM software, visits to Verizon stores, external USB hubs, etc. Luckily, I never tried to re-install the device software since it didn't smell like that kind of problem. Clearly RIM folks need to get this one documented, and figure out whose software isn't playing nice and fix it.

For me it was the BBLauncher that was the issue - messing with the storage device behavior. Dell Inspiron 9300, BB 8330. The Roxio software is a big slow dog as well, but the device seems great so far. Love the Navigation service...

Thanks for all your help - I never tried the tech support, cause these forums have lots more to offer. It just took a while to find the right corner of the Internet...

Cheers,
    Sam
    07-03-08 06:49 PM
    I just found this thread and read through it. I love that you guys figured this out and the processes you went through to do it. Reading this thread was better than a good novel!! Suspense, a climax, character development, love it!

I called Verizon for a problem I was having my first week and the guy told me they just use this site to find answers. I have zero faith in tech support of any kind. I have faith in user trouble shooting and communities helping people within themselves.
    07-03-08 07:00 PM
    TheSultan and spweaver
    Glad to know you guys able to fix the crazy Curve shutting down issue. Personally it caused lot of grief for me and many late night hours trying to solve this issue.... I hope the vzw and the rim guys get educated on this and help out callers. Because when you get the new device we get all excited and it sucks when it does not work with the system.

I personally had to replace the curve 3 times at two different vzw stores and many hours on the phone. But I'm glad it's all over. Thanks to whitewolf.
    07-03-08 07:07 PM
    Just as a quick correction, I never had the problem. I just read the thread for fun
    07-03-08 07:10 PM
    I was having the same problem. Closed out bounce back and it works fine now!!

Thanks for the help!
    08-28-08 01:21 PM
    When I got my 8830 I was having a similar problem when I plugged it into a charger and i'd try using the phone to call someone it would reboot after 30 seconds. i took it in duplicated the problem guy gave me a brand new 8830 right there at the store. if you go in to the service center and can dupe the problem you'll prolly walk out w/ a new phone hopefully.
    08-28-08 07:48 PM
    I had the same problem myself with a brand new Curve, as soon as I connected it to my PC. After reading this thread, I realized I have a "HD Sentinel" hard drive utility running, and immediately disabled it. Instantly my 8330 stopped rebooting and I'm as good as new.

The obvious conclusion here is to BE PREPARED TO DISABLE ALL CONFLICTING PC UTILITIES THAT ACCESS YOUR BLACKBERRY. Hard drive utilities appear to be a prime offender.

CC: RIM Help Desk. It's not a RIM issue, but I hope this information serves them and their clients (that's us!) more efficiently in the future.

Barry

Well I finally solved my issue. Took me another 12 hours to figure it out but I finally had a breakthrough.

I thought I would try and see if it did it in safe mode and various other incarnations. Well I finally narrowed it down to a piece of software from "Altrixsoft.com". It is a an HDD inspection program that was creating the issue. Not entirely sure why but I went through the Services tab in MSCONFIG and went MFG by MFG re-enabling things from the bottom up. Yes I know I should have started from the top but I did not think that one small piece would create the issue especially with iTunes and Symantec software on there as well. Low and behold it was that one small piece. I disabled it and the connection has not dropped yet.

I am a VERY happy camper and celebrating with some Jack Daniels!

My apologies to RIM for any ill remarks. The problem was caused by another piece of software unrelated to them.

Cheers and thank you everyone for your help!!

Wolfie
    10-14-08 03:22 PM
    Hey guys,

I have the same problem. The Blackberry Curve randomly restarts itself. I am unsure how this could be a problem linked to a computer program. I am currently at work, 20 miles away from my house that has the BB Managing software on it, and it just randomly restarted while I was sitting here. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? It is driving me crazy.

Thanks
    03-09-09 12:53 PM
    I'm also having the same problem. I will try your fix however I can get into the windows/inf directory but can't identify the BB files. I have looked under R (Rim) and B (BB) etc... Do you know their names? regards, Mark
    07-29-09 02:00 AM
    It actually makes sense that various hard drive utilities would cause problems because connecting your BB to the computer, it senses it as an external harddrive and/or storage device.

Nice detective work to you all!
    09-05-09 10:59 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD