I have the BB Curve and I just moved into a new apt in NYC.

For some reason, I only get service in a couple of select areas of the apt - most of these areas are by the windows only. I have verizon and I find this very odd. My friend has a LG Voyager on VZW and she gets full service throughout the house. My other buddy has a TReo on VZW and he gets full service everywhere also. My third friend has a Curve on T-Mobile and it works w/o any problems inside the house.

What's up with my Curve?

I have tried the *228 and updating but to no avail. What can I do? It is really frustrating when you don't have a house phone and your only phone doesn't work well....
    08-03-08 10:12 AM
    See if you can get the phone swapped out. When did you get the Curve? Within 30 Days? Try to get a new unit if you can, if not try a FRU. Hopefully its just your handset and can be fixed by getting a replacement.

If not, you new apartment is haunted. Cant help you with that unfortunately. haha
    08-03-08 10:51 AM
    yeah i would try to swap it out...probably wouldnt have a problem with a new curve
    08-03-08 11:08 AM
    It has been more than 30 days....

What is FRU?

Any other options?
    08-03-08 12:04 PM
    It has been more than 30 days....

What is FRU?

Any other options?
    FRU = Field Replacement Unit, ie sending you one "in the field"
    08-03-08 12:07 PM
    FRU = Field Replacement Unit, ie sending you one "in the field"
    Ahh ok.

Do I have to pay for it? Are these new or refurb or worse than refurb? How do I go about getting one?

Is this my only option left? I have already slapped on a skin and all on the previous...
    08-03-08 12:12 PM
    FRU are refurbs
    08-03-08 12:22 PM
    how do i go about getting one?
    08-03-08 12:49 PM
    Call VZW TS and they will review your account and put though a battery of trouble shooting. THey may esacalate to network or fix the problem. Be sure to let them know that other devices in same location do not have this problem. This will help them to determine that it might be a device issue.

1-800-922-0204 - do not call from the phone though.
    08-03-08 12:52 PM
    So I called and they will have a unit to me by Tuesday. Guy said it will be a refurb but the casing will be brand new....

Is there anyway to see if the FRU is a dud? Or just use it and wait till something? Can I get another if the FRU turns out crappy?
    08-03-08 05:27 PM
    You have 1 yr warranty......
    08-03-08 05:30 PM
    IF there is something wrong with the relacement, then it will be replaced. You have a one year warrenty on the original device. Replacements have a 90 day warr. or your one year warr overides the 90 days which ever is greater.

So, if your device is replaced in the 11th month of the first year, then the 90 days is greater and you would get the full 90 days on it. If ot is replaced in the 6 month, then you still would have 6 months.

Hope this makes sence.
    08-03-08 05:35 PM
    It has been my experience in the past that if you get a FRU you can plan on many more FRU's to follow each with its own unique problems. They will keep replacing the FRU free of charge until you get one that works. Like I said that has been my experience in the past. I'm sure many people get issued a fru without any problems , I guess??

So you did not have any problems until the new apartment? You don't recall wrapping your phone in aluminum foil or anything like that for "safe keeping" or playing "dress up" with your bb no metal case's or the like?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-08 05:42 PM
    Thanks for all the info guys.

GrandMasterB - nothiing with metal cases or aluminun. The phone works flawlessly everywhere else and it is a shame it does not work at my new place. I am still kind of hesistant to replace it as it is a brand new phone. Maybe I should just get a bluetooth and use it around the house while leaving the phone by the window?

What do you guys think? I have 10 days before I have to send back the original. Should I just get a bluetooth for the house and skip all the potential problems that can follow with a FRU?
    08-03-08 06:39 PM
    Thanks for all the info guys.

GrandMasterB - nothiing with metal cases or aluminun. The phone works flawlessly everywhere else and it is a shame it does not work at my new place. I am still kind of hesistant to replace it as it is a brand new phone. Maybe I should just get a bluetooth and use it around the house while leaving the phone by the window?

What do you guys think? I have 10 days before I have to send back the original. Should I just get a bluetooth for the house and skip all the potential problems that can follow with a FRU?
    I would send it back and get the FRU. Refurbished units work just as well as brand new devices. The problems these devices once had have been addressed and fixed, so you won't need to deal with them.

08-03-08 06:51 PM
    Well it really is a shame. I would also be hesitant in sending back your original because once it is done there is no undoing it

On the other hand if it is your primary line you can't have it being flakey on you and HAVING to be in a window , that is no place for a Berry.

I wish I had some useful advice for you. I really feel your pain. I had an Airtouch device about a decade ago that I had signed a contract on. We shortly after moved and it had spotty service in our new location. We used to have to drive up to the top of the hill to get a strong enough signal to place a call. That was miserable, and also our only phone back then.

I am hoping maybe somebody else in the forums can present you with an option or a fix that permits you to keep the phone you have now , unfortunately I am not of much use in your particular situation.

08-03-08 06:58 PM
    I was having call/msging/svc issues they took me thru manual programming and now my phone works better than before. I couldnt get any calls they would always go to voicemail and wouldn't ring. They had me enter a new SID and now it works great.

08-03-08 07:26 PM
    I was having call/msging/svc issues they took me thru manual programming and now my phone works better than before. I couldnt get any calls they would always go to voicemail and wouldn't ring. They had me enter a new SID and now it works great.

Ya? How do I go about doing this? Is it too late since I already requested a FRU?

And again thanks for the input everyone!!
    08-03-08 08:13 PM
    FRU are refurbs

Fru aren't always refurbs...

from my experience its about 60% refurb and 40% new...

it's a mixture of replacement devices from the manufactuer...

on some of the models you can tell if they are refurb or not... based on what protective stickers are on them
    08-04-08 08:12 AM
    Fru aren't always refurbs...

from my experience its about 60% refurb and 40% new...

it's a mixture of replacement devices from the manufactuer...

on some of the models you can tell if they are refurb or not... based on what protective stickers are on them
    FRU = Factory Refurbished Unit

When VZW sends you a FRU under manufacturers warranty, it is a refurbished unit every time. This does not mean it is used, but some of the parts were used in previous handsets at one time or another, and is not a completely brand-new unit.
    08-04-08 10:16 AM
    FRU = Factory Refurbished Unit

When VZW sends you a FRU under manufacturers warranty, it is a refurbished unit every time. This does not mean it is used, but some of the parts were used in previous handsets at one time or another, and is not a completely brand-new unit.
    thanks for clearing that up
    08-04-08 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD