After months of working just fine if i push on the phone or on the ear bud asking for voice recognition the programs balls starts to spin in the middle and hangs the entire blackberry 8330 up. Somethimes when i hold the hang up button it tunes off and when i turn it back on all is well. Sometimes i have to take the battery out for correct operation.

I have backed up my information but is there a way reinstall just that software. I don't know the first thing about how these work in terms of software deletion or installation.

Thanks
    Kurt
    08-11-09 02:15 PM
    If you have the standard Verizon OS on your BB (4.5.0.77) then download and install it on your computer. Download from here:

BlackBerry® Software Updates

To see what OS is on your BB, Options > About third line down.

After you download/install the OS on your computer, connect your BB to your usb port on your computer and open Desktop Manager. Make a backup.

Then open the Application Loader wizard. When the list of apps appears in the window, uncheck the Voice Activated Dialing checkbox. Click Next. VAD will be uninstalled from your BB.

When complete. Open Application Loader again and place a check in the VAD application and click next to reinstall VAD on your BB.
    08-11-09 02:28 PM
    thanks again great explanation for someone who is just getting used to the BB. and one other Q since you know alot about these things. Is there a way to save the TXT messages in a way that they can be read in the future?
    Thanks
    Kurt
    08-11-09 02:42 PM
    Not sure, but I think there is a program called ABC, Amber Blackberry Converter that can export files from you backup files in .txt format. You have to pay for this program though.

By the way, Verizon just released an upgrade to their official OS. They are up to 4.5.0.138, it's in the link I gave you so if you download and install it on your PC, you will actually be doing an OS upgrade.
    08-11-09 02:46 PM
    thanks it lists the programs updated unfortunatly the voice recognition is not one of them. So i am doing the whole upgrade now and will do what you suggested after the upgrade does its thing. and one more Q if you don't mind. What is the purpose of blackberry messanger?
    08-11-09 02:55 PM
    Click on the BB 101 Lecture Series link in my sig below, lecture #8 is all about BB Messenger.

There is another option to saving your texts that is free. Look for a free app called BBNotePad. If you have a memory card, it is just like MemoPad, but it can save .txt files to the memory card. MemoPad can only save to device memory. When you wan to save a text message, copy the text in the SMS message and paste it into a BBNotePad file. You can have a file for each of your contacts on your memory card.

And since they are saved in .txt format, they can be moved and viewed to your computer.

Edit: Here is the link to BBNotePad.

BBNotePad Home

Also, if you are updating your OS to .138, then don't worry about removing and reinstalling VAD, it will be upgraded in the process along with the .138 core apps.
    Last edited by xliderider; 08-11-09 at 03:05 PM.
    08-11-09 03:02 PM
    ok thanks i keep saying one more Q. So one more so far.
    When i am using Poynt it has to grab my location from the cell tower i am using. Once i was right next to the business and it gave me directions there from 8 miles away. I presume this is a function of i am not paying Verizon for GPS. and is there anyway around that? (other than paying Verizon the additional what is it $5 a month)
    08-11-09 03:25 PM
    Use BB Maps, make sure it is checked off as an app to be loaded when you are presented with the option to select/deselect the apps that are going to be installed on your BB during the OS upgrade. Verizon is sneaky, in that the BB Maps isn't checked off to be loaded as a default, you have to check it off manually.

Poynt will work using the GPS function if BB Maps is running.
    08-11-09 03:29 PM
    BB maps is checked off as loaded. When i look at my apps on my phone i see a program called "maps" is that it? and when you say it has to be running how do i do that at the same time i am trying to use poynt.
    08-11-09 03:50 PM
    ok went to maps and then was given to Poynt from here. When i clicked on that it went to poynt but poynt said GPS not enabled
    08-11-09 03:52 PM
    whoops correct that it say GPS not Supported
    08-11-09 03:55 PM
    ok went to maps and then was given to Poynt from here. When i clicked on that it went to poynt but poynt said GPS not enabled
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS. Set GPS to Location On. Save.

Open Maps (BB Maps), Menu, Find Location, let BB Maps get a satellite lock on your BB. Menu, Switch Application. Go to Poynt or Home then open Poynt.
    08-11-09 03:57 PM
    ok the maps program is searcing for satellites which since i am inside it might be hard. Great thanks for your help.
    Kurt
    08-11-09 04:07 PM
    Yes, it needs a clear view of the sky to work, but it will work from inside a car.
    08-11-09 04:08 PM
    the next day i would just like to thank you again for all your help. I really appreciate it.
    08-12-09 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD