Hi,

I recently moved from Verizon over to a BB 8310 on ATT. The voice quality on the phone has been horrible. I lose a call at least once a day. Voices pixelate (where it sounds like someone is talking through the Matrix), and callers keep telling me to repeat myself. I also have dropout where I lose the middle of some words when people are speaking. Just when I'm about to drop kick the phone, it starts working for a day or two perfectly.

I called ATT and they told me I'm in a high coverage area and should not be having these problems. I get full bars all the time. They recommended I restart my phone daily, which I do. I also updated the BB software to the latest firmware version.

I know you're probably thinking this is a bad phone. The rub is my brother and parents all converted to this phone at around the same time (Dec.). They live on Long Island though and got it from a different store. They have the same problems I do.

I'm at my wits end. Is this a known problem with the BB 8310? My friend has the 8300 through ATT and looks at me like I'm crazy when I describe my call quality, but I let him make a call on mine and he noticed it also. On verizon I always had flawless call quality, but they never had the phones I wanted. I figured that ATT got the iphone and had the BB I wanted, that their service would be good - but I'm really unhappy.

If anyone is noticing a similar problem, let me know.

-B
    02-05-08 10:20 AM
    I used to live in Hillsdale (Bergen County over in Jersey) and AT&T always sucked both in North Jersey and the City. VZW was the only carrier that seemed to work worth a damn for clear calls. Becky blamed it on 9/11 as everyone lost the highest vantage point for their towers. GSM has significantly lower building penetration than CDMA I believe and that obviously would be an issue in Manhattan. But you're not crazy - every review of any ATT/Cingular phone from anyone in NYC always comments that the ATT coverage blows and VZW is significantly better in that market.
    02-05-08 10:32 AM
    Thanks. Can it really be just a result of that? I don't see why I get full bars (which seems to suggest I have a good tower connection) but bad voice quality.
    02-05-08 05:17 PM
    I recently started having this problem on my 8310, exactly as you describe. ATT, good coverage, "pixelated" voices (I call it digital noise), and basically junk voice calls.
    Is there something going on with the ATT network that we should know about? Just today I set up an order ticket under warranty returns/exchanges and should have another device by tomorrow. If it's a problem on that device as well, I might have to reconsider my choice of the curve.
    Oh, and this never happened before; I have been using either a Pearl or a Curve since mid-last year, and they've been great on both TMO and ATT.
    Please share if you have other experiences like this one.

-Eric
    02-05-08 06:23 PM
    I switched from VZW to ATT for the same reason. VZW phones suck. I am in Northern Westchester, NY, and I thought that VZW had the best reception up here. I am finding that i am getting better reception with AT&T up here. I too have a Curve 8310 and my call quality is perfect.
    02-05-08 10:49 PM
    I also live in the NY area and the only time I get this issue is when talking with my gf who is on VZW but not on a BB. She has a simple Samsung phone, she even switched to a different phone and I still have trouble hearing her. It seems to be an issue with the VZW network as I have only had this issue with VZW friends, TM and ATT I have not had this issue talking with.
    02-06-08 07:27 AM
    I was just in NYC this morning, and took a taxi from Grand Central to the upper east side in the 90s. I got a call while on the train and spoke with that person from the train, walked through the station, in the taxi and until I got out of the taxi. Person heard me fine and I heard them fine. Never broke up. Now my ear just hurts because that person talks too much!!
    02-06-08 09:28 AM
    Hi,

I also recently switched from VZW to an AT&T 8310. I've experienced some of what you're talking about from time to time in certain spots in NYC. I wouldn't say that the problem is constant, but more intermittent depending on where I am in the city. The problem seems more pronounced when I'm indoors at home in Jersey City.

I have no problems at all in my office or in places other than NYC that have good AT&T coverage. I think it has a lot to do with the city and how the cell repeaters cover the streets.

I'm pretty happy with the call quality most of the time though.
    02-06-08 11:38 AM
    I just got my Curve last Tuesday (first BB device I've ever owned) and I love it.

It's been the greatest phone I've ever owned as far as features are concerned.

Except for the call quality.

Everyone sounds really distant and muffled to the point where half the times I can't understand what the caller is saying unless they repeat it slowly.

The only way I can describe it is everyone sounds like they're standing in a huge room devoid of any furniture- really distant and like an echo.

It's bad enough that I'm thinking of returning the phone (which I really don't want to do)!

Anyone having issues like these?

Thanks.

PS. I'm in central New Jersey...

Additional Note: My callers state I sound crystal clear.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; 02-11-08 at 09:26 PM.
    02-11-08 09:23 PM
    Any other users want to chime in on if they are still experiencing this as well?
    02-17-08 01:01 PM
    I am in Rockland county (Nyack area), and am also having these issues. Even when I don't get words dropped or "pixelated" voices, there is a faint hiss in the background. Several people I've talked to said the quality was awful on my end. Sometimes it's hard to hear too, even with volume at max. AND I've gotten a few dropped calls in my own house, mostly in the basement where my office is.

I just switched from VZW to ATT, mainly because with my current family plan (all my boys are on ATT) I get unlimited voice and SMS for 9.99 and my BB Personal plan with unlimited data for 30.00 a month. When I priced a comparable plan on Verizon it is 99.00 a month. I also wanted uncrippled GPS and like the SIM card functionality. I thought it was a safe bet to go with ATT as my kids have no issues with reception, although none use BBs.

I've considered switching back to VZW and using a different device, but I did a lot of research before choosing the 8310, and there doesn't seem to be anything else available for a reasonable price that fits ALL my criteria.

I was in Augusta GA last week, and had poor call quality there as well, so I wonder if it is at least partially device related. I only have a few days left before my 30 days are up and I'm wondering if I should try getting my 8310 switched out. Has anyone done this with and been satisfied with the outcome? I need to make a decision this week.
    07-07-08 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD