Crackberry fans,

Please help a newbie graduate to the novice stage:

How do you setup voice calling?

On my Motorola, it was really simple: go to Contacts, click on a Contact, Edit, and then add voice dialing.

On my 8900, I've spent more time than I care to confess trying, and haven't been successful.

Hence, I turn to your wisdom.

(BTW - I did the voice setup thingy, where I had to repeat various sets of 4 numbers, and I can click the leftside button and the voice thing activates, asking: "Say a command", and if I say "Call" it says: "Say a name or number".
    Therein is the problem: I can dictate a number (here in Ukraine it's 11 digits - BORING), but how do I set it up to recognize NAMES in my contacts???)
    06-29-09 10:17 AM
    It should automatically recognize names. The voice dialing system scans your address book.
    06-29-09 10:21 AM
    It should automatically recognize names. The voice dialing system scans your address book.
    Not on mine: I just again tried saying every name in my Contacts: zilch success.
    06-29-09 10:22 AM
    It is designed to be an automatic setup. You should just say Call Name and it dials. However, this could be a limitation of the language. I am unsure what languages other than english are supported.
    06-29-09 10:27 AM
    Fair. But I'm trying it in English.
    Granted, half my contact list is in russian, but the first half is all english.
    06-29-09 10:31 AM
    What version of the OS are you using?
    06-29-09 10:32 AM
    tell me how to find out - I'll tell you
    06-29-09 10:37 AM
    use vlingo instead.

I find it works better.
    06-29-09 10:37 AM
    use vlingo instead.

I find it works better.
    ok - take it easy on me. vlingo is ?
    06-29-09 10:39 AM
    Under "Options - About" it says:
    Blackberry 8900
    smartphone (EDGE, Wi-Fi)
    v 4.6.1.114 (Platform 4.2.0.76)

Does that help?
    06-29-09 10:41 AM
    vlingo is a voice activated application. you can search on the forums for it. I would try doing a software update to see if that helps as well.
    06-29-09 10:48 AM
    Are you by chance in voice notes instead of voice dialing?
    06-29-09 11:49 AM
    Please double-check to make sure you're getting a prompt of "Say a Command" then wait for a beep. If you're not getting that, then you're not in Voice-Activated Dialing. If you are, then I'd have to say perhaps trying a battery pull, then re-install VAD through Desktop Manager.

Let us know what happens!
    06-29-09 12:42 PM
    I am having the same issue...no recognition of address book entries. I will probably reinstall VAD through desktop...
    08-08-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD