I am wondering whether anyone else has been surprised at Vodafone UK's pricing?

I changed over from Orange early this year to Vodafone. I'd been with Orange for 12 years but wanted a Blackberry Curve and found their technical support lacking. I therefore ended up transfering to Vodafone, even though I knew it would cost twice as much. Orange had offered me an incredibly good loyalty deal to stay with them (about 17 per month all in) but I changed to Vodafone which was going to cost 26 per month for their Small Business 200 on an 18 month contract plus 5 for the BB internet service and 3.50 for insurance, totalling 34.50 plus VAT per month.

A feature I liked about Vodafone's BB 8310 was the Sat Nav which I was informed was included "free" for 12 months. On more than one occassion whilst signing up I had asked the Vodafone rep to confirm this is all I would be paying nothing else, no hidden extras, barring if i went over the 200 minutes talk time per month. To this they always confirmed there are no hidden costs.

How I wish they were so transparent. My latest bill is over 66, nearly twice what I expected, 23 of this being for "data". It transpires that I get 6mb of "free" data over and above which I pay 2 per meg. My surprise is how quickly I reach this 6 meg freshold. I use the BB for business and probably send and received combined 20 emails per day on average, most of which are simple text mails. In addition, however, I have now learnt that every time I use the Sat Nav it downloads data which is taken out of the 6meg allocation and then I am charged.

This is my biggest gripe. Vodafone made a big sales hook of the Sat Nav being "free" for 12 months and for the life of me I cannot see anywhere in their printed promotional literature anything saying that I will be charged for its use. I have now had discussions with Vodafone where they confirm this to be true - the free bit is the application but I will be charged for using it!. This seems to be a gross misrepresentation. How can they claim the Sat Nav to be "free" when I have pay to use it?

Whilst I must admit Vodafone are efficient and I am very pleased with their service, I do feel that I am paying dearly for it and have been blatantly conned with many hidden, undisclosed charges. In this world of "transparent" adverts surely this cannot be right?

Thoughts appreciated.
    05-02-08 02:58 AM
    Yeah. I am afraid you have found out the hard way that Vodafone is the worst BB provider in the UK.

To avoid paying 2 per mb over the 6mb allowance you have to add on a 125mb vodafonelive data package for about 8.

6mb is an awfully small amount, I used 80mb from my 200mb allowance last month.

Anything which uses the internet for downloading information will use data and data has to be paid for which kind of goes without saying when you think about it. Most sat nav applications that you pay a monthly fee for do not include data use in the fee either.

To run salt into your wounds Orange recently brought out a 250mb data package for BlackBerry internet service, o2 gives 200mb and t mobile gives a huge 1GB data allowance.

This puts Vodafone to shame and if I were you I would write a very strongly worded letter telling them so. If at the time of purchase you were unaware that you only got 6mb of data you may have a case for having being missold something & you would have the right to have the extra charges on your recent bill waived in this instance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 03:25 AM
    I've been thinking about this.

Vodafone gave you free sat nav & expected you to run it on a 6mb data allowance along with your other BB services! They should have pointed out to you that this 6mb would not have been enough. You could perhaps arque that they encouraged you to go over this allowance by giving you free sat nav without explaining the consequences.

05-02-08 06:15 AM
    Hi London BB. Been on here a couple of weeks now and am learning lots!!!

I definately suggest you contact Vodafone and state that you have been mis-sold the whole package. I believe the salesperson did not know the impact of costs that would be incurred, rather than deliberate selling, as many of the carriers in the UK do not understand Blackberry and how it works.

On a personal note, I went to many stores trying to identify the best solution, as previously I was with Vodafone (using Treo 750v) which was costing me approx 60 per month (should have been a 25 p.month package), but the data costs were astronomical.

It was only when I went into T-Mobile and stated that I was interested in the 8310, he then pulled out of his pocket, an 8310!! He knew everything about it, and got me a cracking deal.

25p.month (Flex 60 worth of texts and calls - approx 200mins and 200 texts). I then paid another 5 for UNLIMITED (1gb) DATA plus Blackberry service. AND I got the phone for free! I had to sign up for an insurance 8.99 per month, which I cancelled within 1 week.

So, CANCEL your contract and be insistent, and join T-Mobile if the coverage is good for you.

Tain
    05-02-08 06:58 AM
    Hi LondonBB

I am using the blackberry service on Vodafone UK, and I was amazed at the price of the BB Plan, T-Mobile are a much better service in terms of cost.

That said one solution is to add the data bundle, which now has an increased allowance of 500mb (launched yesterday) and this has a fair use policy, which means you shouldn't be charged if you go over.

The other thing is to go to the vodafone UK site, and take a look on their eforum, and ask your question there.

There are two types of data on the BB, one is BB data which is 6mb, the other is the 500mb, if you use the vodafone live icon.

Hope this has helped a little.

Ferret1979
    05-02-08 10:02 AM

It was only when I went into T-Mobile and stated that I was interested in the 8310, he then pulled out of his pocket, an 8310!! He knew everything about it, and got me a cracking deal.

25p.month (Flex 60 worth of texts and calls - approx 200mins and 200 texts). I then paid another 5 for UNLIMITED (1gb) DATA plus Blackberry service. AND I got the phone for free! I had to sign up for an insurance 8.99 per month, which I cancelled within 1 week.

So, CANCEL your contract and be insistent, and join T-Mobile if the coverage is good for you.

Tain
    Thanks Tain. It sounds like T-Mobile are a very fair outfit. Does anyone know how good their service is in the UK?

Thinking about it I never actually did sign a contract with Voda as it was done on the phone. Not sure if that leaves me free to say Bye bye!
    05-02-08 11:49 AM
    Hi LondonBB

I am using the blackberry service on Vodafone UK, and I was amazed at the price of the BB Plan, T-Mobile are a much better service in terms of cost.

That said one solution is to add the data bundle, which now has an increased allowance of 500mb (launched yesterday) and this has a fair use policy, which means you shouldn't be charged if you go over.

The other thing is to go to the vodafone UK site, and take a look on their eforum, and ask your question there.

There are two types of data on the BB, one is BB data which is 6mb, the other is the 500mb, if you use the vodafone live icon.

Hope this has helped a little.

Ferret1979
    I spoke to Voda today and they say its not possible for me to increase my 6mb allowance for the BB. Do you know exactly what the 500mb is and whether they should be able to issue it to me for my Curve? I find every time I speak to them the situ changes and half of them don't know the rules themselves so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Chris
    05-02-08 11:53 AM
    I spoke to Voda today and they say its not possible for me to increase my 6mb allowance for the BB. Do you know exactly what the 500mb is and whether they should be able to issue it to me for my Curve? I find every time I speak to them the situ changes and half of them don't know the rules themselves so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Chris
    Hi Chris

It sounds as though you've not had the best experience so far and I'd like to help.

I work for the Vodafone eForum Team that ferret1979 mentioned.

We've recently increased our data bundle from 120MB to 500MB and this may help reduce your bills. It would include any data you've used whilst browsing the internet from your phone and your current Blackberry bundle would then be used for any emails you send or receive.

I'd like the chance to look at your account as I'd like to check all options that may help reduce your bills. If you'd like me to do this, please contact me using our Vodafone Contact Form. Please go to vodafone.co.uk/contactus for this. Sorry I can't post the URL as i'm such a newbie. Please include the code FIT135 in your email to make sure it reaches our eFroum Team.

Look forward to hearing from you soon Chris.

dwlu
    Vodafone UK
    05-06-08 06:47 AM
    Dwlu

You work for Vodafone?

Why not have a word with the tariff setters from Vodafone to get a fair mb allowance for blackberry internet service users?

I have looked at your eforum where it is stated that the 6mb allowance cannot be raised!! But it can!! Orange has just seen the light & raised theirs to 250mb (from 6mb) o2's is 200mb and T mobiles is a whopping 1GB yet Vodafone Cannot raise theirs??
    Vodafone is lagging behind the competition in the UK & I frequently come across Vodafone users horrified at their first monthly bills.

More a case of won't rather than can't don't you think?

Problem is that vodafonelive is your baby and you favour it above all else.

I am sorry if I appear rude but I am tired of seeing unhappy Vodafone customers.

05-06-08 07:25 AM
    I agree Hazysky. It's unfortunate, because as much as Vodafone will get a short term gain from initial contracts, they will never be long lasting. I for one will not be intending to go back to Vodafone, as they consistently try to put obstacles in the way. The thought of good or bad service from a provider lasts a long time.

I also assume that each carrier have their own intended market to aim for. Blackberry's or Data usage customers may not be as profitable for Vodafone...?
    05-06-08 07:43 AM
    There was one answer on the eforum that made me laugh in disbelief

"due to VODAFONES excellent compression technology 6mb should be enough"

Why then are their customers having to buy extra data packages?

I gotta stop coming in this thread or I will get in trouble LOL

05-06-08 08:01 AM
    OMG!!!!!!!
    05-06-08 08:30 AM
    I am so glad that I don't have to deal with limits.

These rates are crazy.
    05-06-08 08:39 AM
    To be fair I think 6mb is in their eyes considered mainly for email. So in that respect 6mb would be enough for heavy emailing but not much else.

05-06-08 08:45 AM
    That smacks of marketing people not inderstanding the tech people anyway, and miss-information getting to the public.

As far as I know RIM natively compress all BB traffic. A BB really is rather good at sipping data (particularly for Email, and BB Messenger), important when you're roaming and paying by the KB! Vodafone (or any other operator) have no influence on it. But they MAY use compression on their generic 2G/3G bearers, which does things like trade image quality for reduced data transfer size when browsing on a laptop.

6MB should indeed be enough for Email alone. But there are two APNs typically used on a BB. A 'RIM' one, and a "generic" one. APNs are a bit like subnets, and allow the operator to charge differently for different uses of the network, as it the traffic over each APN can be metered seperately.

But you also need to know which APN your application is using, and which APN you get which data allowance for. In general all RIM applications will use the RIM APN. All third party ones will use the general/generic one. This is why users often have to set up the TCP settings with the general APN to get third party apps to communicate at all. I've no idea which APN the Voda Satnav uses...
    Last edited by wibblyw; 05-06-08 at 09:19 AM.
    05-06-08 09:13 AM
    I don't have time to read all posts, sorry but can I just say;
    Vodafone - not good for BlackBerrys. I don't think they're good in general.
    Orange - Okay I suppose, not the best.
    T-Mobile - Great bar a few tiny things.
    O2 - Great bar a few things.
    05-06-08 12:35 PM
    It sounds like T-Mobile are a very fair outfit. Does anyone know how good their service is in the UK?
    I recommend them.
    05-06-08 06:12 PM
    Well., thanks to Vodafone's eForum I think I've got a new package sorted out.

I have now gone over to the CTR 3 plan which apparently gives me 500 mins talk, 100 texts plus 500meg data per month for 35 per month. On top of this I believe there is the 5 BlackBerry charge plus the Voda Total Cover at 3.50, so I'm assuming I will be charged a total of 43.50 per month fixed from now on, no more - providing I don't use more than the allocated 500mins, 100 texts or 500meg data, that is, all of which is extremelly unlikely. Must say I'm very happy with this.

I must also say that Voda's eForum personnel were very helpful indeed and highly recommended.

For those interested these are Vodafone's new tariffs which are an incredible improvement on old and, I suspect, put in place to prevent people migrating.
    I was going to post the URL for the tariffs here but apparently I am not allowed to as I am a newbie.
    05-07-08 02:53 PM
    05-07-08 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD