Again this may be a dumd question by yours truly but are there such things as virus's for Blackberries?

I hear a lot about android based mobiles having issues with virus's but don't hear much about the issue with Blackberries.

Is the answer is yes there are problems out there, what can I do to protect my handset?

Many thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 04:56 PM
    There is a APP called Lookout Mobile Security. Its free. Thats what i have.
    It even backs up things. Check it out..
    07-07-10 05:00 PM
    There is a APP called Lookout Mobile Security. Its free. Thats what i have.
    It even backs up things. Check it out..
    That's what I'd recommend, too. It's free and has many useful features.

There are more similar apps, but check out Lookout.
    07-07-10 05:37 PM
    It's a really good app, but I found it drained my battery so I deleted it...
    07-09-10 12:20 PM
    I don't think that bb's are susceptible to viruses but I could be wrong.
    07-09-10 12:38 PM
    It's a really good app, but I found it drained my battery so I deleted it...
    Just set the automatic backup and automatic virus scan to OFF, that'll save you a lot of battery life.
    07-09-10 12:40 PM
    I didn't think BB got viruses either. I've seen Lookout Mobile also but thought it was unnecessary for a BB... maybe I'm wrong.
    07-09-10 12:41 PM
    Malware/virus are possible on a BB as with any platform. BUT it involves user intervention. The user must 1) install the app 2) give it trusted permissions.

Also there is no way for a "virus" to attach itself to another app like PC viruses can to an EXE file for example. On top of that any app that claims to scan for viruses its probably doing next to nothing. There is no way to scan a COD file for a signature or to see what another app doing. The only thing I could see it doing is scanning for module names of know malware/viruses, like "I am bad.cod". And off the top of my head I can only think of one, and that was the one the carrier Elistat pushed to its customers.
    07-09-10 12:46 PM
    I had to laugh because a rep at Sprint told me that my old bb was acting up due to a virus.. the person told me that I got it from texting my friends... hmmmm.... and then when the phone got exchanged.. it turned out to be bad software.. not a so-called virus
    07-09-10 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD