Hello all,

My mum and boyfriend have recently signed up to the Virgin Mobile UK deal of BB 8520. I'm a Bold 9700 user, and love my berry, so encouraged them to get it and thought I could help them out with any probs they may encounter.

However, I've hit a wall! Mum's phone came loaded with OS v.5.0.0.592/platform 5.2.0.64, and boyf's phone came with OS 4.6.1.314/platform 4.2.0.135 (sorry, not sure whether to give the v or the platform, will give both).

My first issue is: WHY are Virgin sending out phones with different OS's on?? Surely they should be consistent. Anyway. That's my own rant with them.

More importantly: Can I upgrade the boyf's phone to OS 5? I've found this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/la...nglish-475237/ which seems to be the upgrade we're looking for.

I've never manually upgraded before, so could anyone tell me A) if it's safe (don't laugh! it's my responsibility if his phone gets f****d!) B) if all the phone/SD card details will be wiped when I put on the upgrade. Will it be as it if had just come out of the box?

And also, any other comments/experiences of people new to doing this but it working for you would be welcomed!

Thanks in advance for any advice
    -Nicole
    10-11-10 10:12 AM
    Update both phones with .681.

One phone was manufactured earlier then the other, thats all.

Follow this thread to the letter and all will be fine:

http://www.crackberry.com/blackberry...ting-system-os
    10-11-10 10:14 AM
    Mine came with OS 4.6 - upgrade is straight forward, no instructions needed really!
    10-11-10 12:03 PM
    Mine came with OS 4.6 - upgrade is straight forward, no instructions needed really!
    Not true. Instructions are needed if you are loading software from another carrier.
    10-11-10 12:05 PM
    Thanks for the help! Was hoping it would be a known problem and simple solution.
    10-13-10 03:15 AM
    I'd load both phones with .822 as it's newer.

Roland
    10-13-10 04:42 AM
    I'd load both phones with .822 as it's newer.

Roland
    Newer does not always mean better. As most would agree on here, .681 is the more stable OS due to the .822 sound bug. Therefore do not use .822 yet. There is supposed to be a patch/new OS which fixes it. Stick with .681 for now.
    10-13-10 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD