im going to be living in the UK for 3 1/2 months and was considering bringing a blackberry to use. i have a curve. is it best to get a prepaid sim card before or when i get there? and if so, which one/carrier? also, i want to be able to bbm when i am there, i was told from a friend that it is free /internationally? is this true? and if so is it possible with a prepaid sim card?
    Last edited by cld33; 08-05-09 at 11:41 PM.
    08-05-09 03:32 PM
    make sure the curve is unlocked. itll be best to get a sim card from there. i dont know of any carriers to recommend. bbm is not free. you will have to pay for it.
    08-05-09 03:56 PM
    To use BBM and other internet related services, you'll have to add an internet/Blackberry add on.

Orange UK Payg charge around 5 p/m for the blackberry add on.

o2 charge around 10 p/m for the blackberry add on.

T-Mobile charge around 5 p/m for the blackberry add on.

Not sure about the other network providers. Hope that helps though
    08-05-09 04:07 PM
    Okay great. Is that 5 p/m unlimited? And is it available with a prepaid sim card? Is there any way I can find out if my phone is unlocked now? I'm not sure if it is and if not how do I unlock it?
    08-05-09 07:56 PM
    I think Vodafone does it too.
    08-05-09 09:41 PM
    Okay great. Is that 5 p/m unlimited? And is it available with a prepaid sim card? Is there any way I can find out if my phone is unlocked now? I'm not sure if it is and if not how do I unlock it?
    It is not unlimited. Carriers differ with their data usage, ranging from 250mb to 500mb. But thing is, i'm pretty sure you won't go over 150mb as Blackberry data is compressed!

I tried to find the Vodafone bundle price, but couldn't find it anywhere

If your device is locked, you'll have to ring up the current carrier it is locked to and ask for an unlock/PAC code. They should usually do it foc, but sometimes they ask for a small fee. If they refuse to give you a code, there's always the mobile phone unlocking solutions online for Blackberry

Hope that helps
    Last edited by DaveyyC; 08-06-09 at 12:55 PM.
    08-06-09 12:53 PM
    I don't know how Orange pay as you go works, but Orange is the only carrier who enable UMA access. Blackberry services are 5 a month

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 01:42 PM
    i have the 30 day rolling contract with t-mobile on mine

20 a month - 600 mins unlimited texts & unlmited data* (1 gb usage cap)
    08-06-09 02:19 PM
    I think Vodafone does it too.
    Vodafone does not do any BB bundle for PAYT users, only for monthly contracts or sim only contracts which you would need a UK address for.

@cld33
    If all that you want is BBM then ask your current service provider for an international data roaming package, all you realistically need is 1mb tbh as mentioned by Daveyyc the way a BB compresses data is incredible, 1mb would account to about a couple of 1000 BBMs which should be enough for a few months and cheaper than getting any sim over here, but again that is only if you just want to use BBM. You would have to stop all your push features of your BB thou.

Hope that helps
    08-06-09 03:07 PM
    so are you suggesting to just use the blackberry for bbm purposes while there and then just get a pay as you go phone over there? i also have an iPhone so i'm just trying to figure out the best option
    08-06-09 04:08 PM
    I would suggest Orange UK's pay and go option if all you want is BBM, at 5 for 50mb this would be MUCH cheaper than any international roaming rates and 50mb would be ample for just BBM.

Orange UK is really your only option for BIS in the UK as like mentioned above any other network would be on a pay monthly basis which means a credit and residency check.

The Orange Pay and go sim can also be topped up with credit for calls and texts too.
    08-06-09 04:32 PM
    okay great. so when i get there just get a pay as you go sim card from orange and add on the option for data? thanks again!
    08-06-09 04:39 PM
    I would suggest Orange UK's pay and go option if all you want is BBM, at 5 for 50mb this would be MUCH cheaper than any international roaming rates and 50mb would be ample for just BBM.

Orange UK is really your only option for BIS in the UK as like mentioned above any other network would be on a pay monthly basis which means a credit and residency check.

The Orange Pay and go sim can also be topped up with credit for calls and texts too.
    I think BIS on Orange PayG has been upgraded to 250mb for 5 p/m, and yes, this is the best/cheapest option for email and BBM.

okay great. so when i get there just get a pay as you go sim card from orange and add on the option for data? thanks again!
    Yes, when you arrive in the UK, just pop into any Orange shop and purchase a Pay as you Go sim card. You will most probably have to ring up Orange customer services and ask for the BIS to be applied to you account.
    Last edited by DaveyyC; 08-06-09 at 04:56 PM.
    08-06-09 04:54 PM
    I think BIS on Orange PayG has been upgraded to 250mb for 5 p/m

Glad to hear that!! 50mb was pretty lame.
    08-06-09 05:01 PM
    Glad to hear that!! 50mb was pretty lame.
    Haha yeh that's true. Mine is unlimited (but capped to 500mb). Wonder how much i've actually used this month. Guy at orange told me I would probs use 50mb max with all the browsing I could possibly do :P
    08-06-09 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD