This question was probably asked million times before but i noticed that there are million different answers to it. I am upgrading my phone with T-mobile and i wanted Curve, but just as a phone and occasional texting (we don`t text much, maybe once or twice a week). Believe it or not, not only that i really like the Curve but it`s also a cheapest option for me due to rebates based on data plan activation. We have wi-fi in the house which would be more than enough for me. I don`t need data plan and some of the features that Curve offers. I just like the phone. A lot
    Some people told me that once your new phone arrives, it`s impossible to even activate it without data plan for Blackberry, which would in fact render it useless. Is this true? Or our wi-fi would be enough? I just need phone and texting to be happy with my Curve.

Thanks in advance
    08-15-09 02:40 PM
    This question was probably asked million times before but i noticed that there are million different answers to it.
    I agree, I propose we have a sticky with the following clarifications.

I don`t need data plan and some of the features that Curve offers. I just like the phone. A lot
    Me too

Some people told me that once your new phone arrives, it`s impossible to even activate it without data plan for Blackberry, which would in fact render it useless. Is this true?
    Absolute nonsense, just like any other GSM phone, pop in your SIM card, press the power button and all the GSM functions are fully intact.

Or our wi-fi would be enough? I just need phone and texting to be happy with my Curve.
    You will not be able to use Blackberry Messenger, and you will not have access to PUSH notifications. You can, however, use your WiFi connection to connect to the internet, and there are plenty of programs that use the WiFi connection. Check out my signature for a partial list.
    08-15-09 02:49 PM
    Yes this question is asked, probably once a week on average!

You can definitely use the device without the data plan but not all services are going to work like the push mail. BB Messenger, etc. Also most apps will not work without a data plan. If you choose to use no data plan and WiFi only, you will have to put in the time yourself to research which apps work with WiFi and which ones do not. You will also need to spend extra time configuring your device to work via the WiFi connection only.

Since you are upgrading, in order to get the lower "upgrade price" you will be required to get a data plan with that was well for the life of the contract extension. I highly suggest that you buy the phone outright for the full retail price and do not pay the upgrade price. This will cost you more up-front but it will be cheaper over the life of the contract extension for you, since you will not need the data plan. Just to make sure this is clear, I am only suggesting this for your case (and other people in a similar situation) because it seems like you really have no use for a data plan. For most people, I suggest that you do use a data plan because it gives you the best from your device and, after all, it was designed to be used with a data plan.

Welcome to Crackberry!
    08-15-09 02:53 PM
    Thanks Soni, you filled in the gaps for the stuff I missed ... as usual!

@OP - I think if you take both of our posts into consideration, you will be able to make the best overall decision for your specific situation.
    08-15-09 02:54 PM
    Thanks Soni, you filled in the gaps for the stuff I missed ... as usual!
    Thanks, do you think we could sticky this post? I don't know if you have any pull with the forum moderators ...
    08-15-09 03:15 PM
    If I was a mod I would have created a sticky of similar posts a long time ago. I can ask around, though but sadly most new people don't search or read before posting.

Ah, well email me some stuff and maybe you and I can work on a new thread then we can post it and I can ask around about getting it stickied.
    08-15-09 03:21 PM
    I've used my 8900 with no data plan for 2 months because I lost my job and needed to save money and while losing app functions and pushed gmail, I'm ok with it. I'd like to get my data plan when I start working next month but its still a great phone. I imagine if I didn't have wifi in my home this phone would be used much less. I say if anything use the phone for a month or so without it and then add it onto your plan for a while and see if you think its a necessity..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 03:57 PM
    Along with aristile ....I was just gonna add go get ya one off craigslist or ebay....there goin for as low as 75 bucks and then you can decide if you wanna add or remove data
    ....but if you plan on taking advantage of that "financing/subsidy" understand you WILL carry at least a 24.99 data package....which your probably well aware of....others talk about trying to take advantage of bb enabler plan but I don't think you'll score that....I certainly understand your affinity for the bb's but ill never understand how people can do it w/o data plans...its just not a bb without it....I think some people do it to look cool and be posers...lmao

08-15-09 10:50 PM
    ....I think some people do it to look cool and be posers...lmao
    ... or maybe because there's no other phone in the price range that has

- Free WiFi
    - GPS
    - QWERTY keyboard
    - 3.2 MP Camera with Flash
    - 480 x 360 screen
    - Slim size & light weight
    - 1000s Apps
    - Long battery life

I hope now you can understand
    08-15-09 11:40 PM

- Free WiFi
    - GPS
    - QWERTY keyboard
    - 480 x 360 screen
    - 1000s Apps
    - Long battery life

I certainlyagree with that....but the fact remains most ofthose 1000's of apps arent gonna work...and an lg voyager/env touch honestly i think has THE best keyboard on the market...longer battery life....gps....
    I mean imho a bb without a data plan is a pretty much like eating cereal without milk....however I would never judge someone as I have no idea what their situation was...i can tell you though i have many friends at work who complain how useless there bb is.....never tried to learn it...and when asked why they bought it say "so I would be taken seriously at a meeting" or "gotta keep up with the jones's"...then turn around and bash there bold/8900/8330and discorage others from considering one.....lol.....thats kinda who i was more reffering to
    08-16-09 02:41 PM

- Free WiFi
    - GPS
    - QWERTY keyboard
    - 480 x 360 screen
    - 1000s Apps
    - Long battery life

PS....the apps you listed a link to?....thats all the apps that will work?....good grief charlie brown
    08-16-09 02:42 PM
    I've used my 8900 with no data plan for 2 months because I lost my job and needed to save money and while losing app functions and pushed gmail, I'm ok with it. I'd like to get my data plan when I start working next month but its still a great phone. I imagine if I didn't have wifi in my home this phone would be used much less. I say if anything use the phone for a month or so without it and then add it onto your plan for a while and see if you think its a necessity..

ya I understand that....hopefully my comments didnt offend.... i was just opining...good luck next month im sure youll rock out!!!
    08-16-09 02:46 PM
    Along with aristile ....I was just gonna add go get ya one off craigslist or ebay....there goin for as low as 75 bucks and then you can decide if you wanna add or remove data
    ....but if you plan on taking advantage of that "financing/subsidy" understand you WILL carry at least a 24.99 data package....which your probably well aware of....others talk about trying to take advantage of bb enabler plan but I don't think you'll score that....I certainly understand your affinity for the bb's but ill never understand how people can do it w/o data plans...its just not a bb without it....I think some people do it to look cool and be posers...lmao

I would like to know where you can get a $75 8900. I will buy a few: )

08-16-09 03:19 PM
    I certainlyagree with that....but the fact remains most ofthose 1000's of apps arent gonna work...
    Yes, they will. Any program, outside of those that are dependent on contact with RIM servers, can receive data via EDGE or 3G without any plan, you simply get charged by the kb

the apps you listed a link to?....thats all the apps that will work
    No, those are the ones that most people ask about

...and an lg voyager/env touch honestly i think has THE best keyboard on the market...longer battery life....gps....
    Hmmm... perhaps you are more picky when it comes to keyboards and long battery life, as I see it, however ...

LG Voayger - not a GSM phone, 2.0 MP camera, 400 x 240 resolution, thicker, heavier, less internal memory
    LG Env Touch - again not a GSM phone, plus it's more expensive, thicker, heavier, no WiFi

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, but I did my research before buying

i can tell you though i have many friends at work who complain how useless there bb is.....never tried to learn it...and when asked why they bought it say "so I would be taken seriously at a meeting" or "gotta keep up with the jones's"...
    Yes, I am sure those jokers exist everywhere ... the funny thing, however, is that both of my bosses who bring home more than a million each, still use a crappy Motorola and a Palm Treo
    08-16-09 04:43 PM
    A Blackberry without data? That's just GOOFY!

Last edited by 3CISSBB; 08-16-09 at 05:16 PM.
    08-16-09 05:11 PM
    A Blackberry without data? That's just GOOFY!

LOL, this again!?!?
    08-16-09 05:27 PM
    LOL, this again!?!?
    No....that one is MUCH different than this one:

08-16-09 05:29 PM
    Lol I hope I didn't come off snarky sonni.....I was just tossin in my imho....lol but def thanks for the info..I had a voyager and loved it....my 8900 is def. Ther best phone I've ever owned though...gotcha on the apps

08-16-09 07:19 PM
    Lol I hope I didn't come off snarky sonni.....I was just tossin in my imho....lol but def thanks for the info
    No problems, let me know if you ever travel internationally, and would like some help configuring those WiFi friendly replacements. Glad you agree that the 8900 is the best phone out there at this point and time. Although, those new rumored Sony Ericsson android phones are pretty sweet too, but I am afraid that, like all Sony products, they will be handsomely overpriced.
    Last edited by sonni_kuba; 08-16-09 at 07:46 PM.
    08-16-09 07:44 PM
    Awe damn, my bad 3C!!!
    08-16-09 07:49 PM
    No problems, let me know if you ever travel internationally, and would like some help configuring those WiFi friendly replacements. Glad you agree that the 8900 is the best phone out there at this point and time. Although, those new rumored Sony Ericsson android phones are pretty sweet too, but I am afraid that, like all Sony products, they will be handsomely overpriced.
    I boycotted Sony years ago and sold every last thing I owned that said Sony on it when Sony decided to violate everyone's privacy by putting a Rootkit on their music CD's without a proper EULA or installation warning. They are the epitome of digital evil. Anything Sony sux!

IMHO of course (I am however a computer security expert/professional)
    08-16-09 07:55 PM
    3ciss pieces(three-sis pieces)you should get on that.....lmao i just thought that up.....trademark that.......lmaorofl...i saw pix of the new SE device on bengalboy....not impressed...then the whole umts argument
    08-16-09 10:47 PM
    Just come back from a 2 week holiday and had to have "data off when roaming" due to too high costs... No access to wifi... My BB suddenly was like a dumbphone - txt's and calls only.

Hated it badly! Also 217 work emails to trawl through when I got back to the UK and two weeks of CB to catch up on!!

08-16-09 11:44 PM
    I could use my curve 8320 without data but only on wifi, or maybe not. Not sure I use so many of these damned things

08-17-09 01:08 AM
    Not possible.
    08-17-09 02:17 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD