All these young kids all want the Droid or iPhone (probably because of games, music,etc). BB is lame in comparison in these areas (especially with the lack of apps and low internal RAM. I use a BB because I like it and I like trhe small form factor. However the sync software for the Mac is rock bottom. Rim does not know how to reply to emails or return calls so obviously they have monkey's working on their Mac software. Besides this major gripe the BB is great.

So what about you? Why do you use a BB over the Droid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 03:59 AM
    BB are made for functionality and RIM made them with the business man in mind. They don't or didn't care about stupid games and all those other worthless apps that cost $3,4 and up dollars.

And what is the Major grip..? That the phone doesn't fit into there functionality. Well more than likely its too advanced for them,,,,and they need to go to the Droid for their little games and million worthless apps that impress no one. I know my BB makes me money and that's all that matters to me.
    06-25-10 01:10 PM
    Well they go for what is hyped up due to comercials and other media us bb folk go for function and that's why I went back to a bb a month after going off to another smart phone...

06-25-10 07:30 PM
    Having owned an Android device, I personally believe Android is a great platform. It has great potential. Remember people that there has only been 3 major updates to the OS since it was released. How many OS updates have there been for Blackberry? There is not much that the Android platform can't do that the Blackberry platform can. But they are modified to fit different people. Does that make one better than the other? Nope. Just different. They both email, text, web browse, play music, download apps, weather, MMS, instant message, social network and so on. They do the same things, just in a different manner. Is the Android/iPhone childish phones? Heck no! They are tremendously robust in what they can do. Is the iPhone better than any other phone, nope. It's still a phone. Sorry peeps - if you don't like Android, don't get one. If you don't like Blackberry, don't get one. That simple.
    06-25-10 08:06 PM
    Well put, rcnathan.

The OP was definitely trying to start a flame war, or at the very least, get people riled up.

I'm not taking the bait. Think what you want, but in end, it's all a matter of choice.
    06-25-10 08:46 PM
    The analysts have their opinion though:

News Headlines
    06-25-10 08:49 PM
    Well put, rcnathan.

The OP was definitely trying to start a flame war, or at the very least, get people riled up.

I'm not taking the bait. Think what you want, but in end, it's all a matter of choice.
    What an assumption. Just learning about the diffs between the devices.
    06-26-10 04:53 AM
    A few of those first responses kind of blew me away. I've owned a BlackBerry Storm in the past, and my work phone is currently a BlackBerry Curve 8310. My personal phone is an HTC Droid Incredible. In comparison, both BlackBerry phones look like abacuses.

I absolutely understand brand loyalty. I also understand the trepidation that comes with a big change. But to categorize Droid phones as devices purely used to play "stupid," overpriced games/apps is simply woeful, intentional ignorance. They are absolute beasts. I can RDP, SSH, FTP, sync with my Exchange server, run network diagnostics, access the internet with speeds that rival my laptop/desktop... everything.

The best way I can put it is this: Everything I can do on my BlackBerry, I can do on a Droid, along with a WHOLE lot more, and faster, and easier, and it looks nicer. In comparison, the BlackBerry OS reminds me of DOS. I actually wanted to reply to this from my Curve, but I couldn't because it was taking so long and it renders HTML horribly.

This post is not intended to trash the BlackBerry, because it is a fine device and I've owned them myself, but to say that there's any sense whatsoever in choosing it over a Droid just blows me away. There aren't any reasons at all to choose it over a Droid. Personal preference doesn't even cut it, because there isn't a human being in the world that would say the BlackBerry is the better device after using a Droid for a few days. Actually, there are; the stubborn kinds of humans that hate to admit it when something new is better than what they've got. But in the end, they're just lying to themselves.

RIM is going to find themselves in a gigantic heap of trouble if they don't take some major steps to upgrade their product, or they're going to go the way of Nextel. It's only going to take so long before people begin to realize that the features they thought only the BlackBerry could provide them with (premiere messaging capabilities, Exchange sync, BES/BIS, etc) are not only available on Droid (and other) smartphones, but they're even better at them. As of right now, there is simply nothing unique that a BlackBerry provides you with, with the exception of BlackBerry Messenger - and even that is easily replaced by Google Talk.
    Last edited by mattjh; 06-27-10 at 06:24 PM.
    06-27-10 06:21 PM
    Research In Motion. Let's keep that name and the meaning behind it in mind when moving forward with this reply.

Now then, from my perspective, it seems a lot of people view the current state that RIM is in with Blackberry, be it good or bad, as the destination, the final chapter and sum of all of RIM's work over the years, and that somehow they failed to acknowledge the full potential of their competitors. Or perhaps that they are arrogant enough to ignore them, and operate under the assumption that they don't have to participate.

From my perspective, that is wrong. I see RIM, having spent years developing their business model around business and professional needs, recognizing that this relatively new consumer desire for a smartphone platform does in fact exist, and is shifting gears accordingly. Microsoft is in a worse case with this "shifting" than RIM is, having spent equal time standing next to RIM in the business sector. Google, Apple, and all the others spent that time idle in this, choosing not to participate, but instead helped to form the consumer market for smartphones. Perhaps RIM can be faulted for not having the vision required to shape this market themselves. On the other hand, neither Apple nor Google were busy being the top of the business sector game when they helped to shape the consumer smartphone market.

I think they are right where THEY need to be at the moment, and clearly see the progress they are making. I also believe they having the staying power to see this through, and intend to do so, in order to compete with the likes of the Apples and the Googles of the world. As does Microsoft.

Oh, and I had NO problem replying to this on my curve. The experience was just fine and enjoyable.

Last edited by xyritheon; 06-28-10 at 01:13 AM.
    06-28-10 01:08 AM
    Oh, and I had NO problem replying to this on my curve. The experience was just fine and enjoyable.

Sorry, wap sites are NOT enjoyable. Would you buy a magazine (not a book) without pictures?
    06-28-10 01:21 AM
    Yes.

06-28-10 01:27 AM
    Yes.

I'm sure you would.
    06-28-10 01:30 AM
    Product A doing something more impressively than Product B doesn't make Product B unimpressive or unenjoyable. Its just preference. Besides, they regular site's forums also work just fine on my curve. I actually prefer the streamlined functionality of WAP sites on a mobile device. To me trying to view pages designed with desktop monitors in mind on a 2 - 4 inch screen seems awkward. Pinch to zoom is simply the best at relieving a little bit of awkwardness. That of course is just my opinion, and preference.

06-28-10 01:35 AM
    why am i using a BB?

only because my htc incredible has yet to arrive
    06-28-10 05:53 AM
    I'm a retired iPhone-user. The phone was great, with tons of cool apps and excellent media handling. But it isn't made for text-based communication. My 8310 does the job so much easier and more comfortable than using a touch-screen to input text. I won't even consider the iPhone again, but I might upgrade to a new BB next time.
    06-28-10 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD