Ive had my Blackberry Curve for about 12 months or so... during this time it's had a far few scrapes & been dropped now and again... but recently my USB port to which charges my phone & connects it to computers is not working??? i dont know what to do because i cant even back up the data on my phone to my computer!! And if i send to RIM or T-mobile to fix the problem im sure they will completely wipe all data from the phone in order to fix the problem!!

Im sooooooooooooo STUCK!!

Could it possibly be a software issue?

Any Help or suggestions appreciated!!

Thanx
    08-17-08 01:47 PM
    You've done regular backups so you shouldn't lose data. Have you tried a different cable? Also, use a magnifying glass and a bright light to look at the connectors. It is very easy to bend one. You can see if one or two are bent and straighten them out with tweezers. There is a way to put your old data onto a new berry if you have to replace it with insurance.

Oh, by the way, and most important, keep calm. Everything will be OK. There are too many smart people here to get you through this. It'll be OK. Honest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 08-17-08 at 03:36 PM.
    08-17-08 01:53 PM
    You've done regular backups so you shouldn't lose data. Have you tried a different cable? Also, use a magnifying glass and a bright light to look at the connectors. It is very easy to bend one. You can see if one or two are bent and straighten them out with tweezers. There is a way to put your old data onto a new berry if you have to replace it with insurance.

Well i cant remember the last time i backed up my data! so thats not good! also i have tried a different cable still no luck!! im goign to try the tweezers suggestion see how it goes... thanx!!
    08-17-08 02:14 PM
    Here's a link to information about restoring data from a backup file to a new berry - hopefully your last backup wasn't too long ago, , I try to do one once a week. Also, I recommend one never use a USB hub for connecting a Berry because too many people have problems with them.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hel...-8320-a-58761/

08-17-08 02:20 PM
    Did u try a battery reset of the device ans reboot of the computer? Also try another USB port
    08-17-08 02:32 PM
    Ive had my Blackberry Curve for about 12 months or so... during this time it's had a far few scrapes & been dropped now and again... but recently my USB port to which charges my phone & connects it to computers is not working??? i dont know what to do because i cant even back up the data on my phone to my computer!! And if i send to RIM or T-mobile to fix the problem im sure they will completely wipe all data from the phone in order to fix the problem!!

Im sooooooooooooo STUCK!!

Could it possibly be a software issue?

Any Help or suggestions appreciated!!

Thanx
    1/. Call BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices. They will fix the USB port without wiping the phone.

2/. Get a charging cradle that does not use the (new) USB port on your phone. The one I have is made by RIM but I found it on ebay. You can see the two gold charging contacts in the pic.
    08-17-08 02:38 PM
    Pete's right about the cradle. I got one a few weeks ago and it sure is easy to just drop it in. otherwise, you're putting a lot of wear and tear on some pretty delicate terminals.
    Were you able to find any bent terminals?

08-17-08 03:03 PM
    I had the same issue, I didnt want to have insurance replace my phone because I just upgraded to O.S 4.5 and didnt want to go through all that with a new unit.

I noticed some wiggle in my usb port and it wasnt secure when plugged in.. So I bent the charging walls in slightly to get a better secure connection.. Just make sure you dont over do it!

and also picking up a charging cradle is a lifesaver on your USB port!
    08-17-08 03:31 PM
    I have one question. I'm quite sure you do have insurance. Not sure of your carrier as I'm posting from WAP. Asurion gives you 2 claims per year. With Verizon we have a $50 dollar deductable for a new not refurbished but NEW Berry. Why don't you utilize the insurance, that's why you pay for it.

08-17-08 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD