Hi, after upfrading my 8900 to OS 5.0.130 I lost AIM, ICQ, google talk and windows live messenger. When I attempt to download these from the blackberry website it says "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support ICQ for Blackberry"

Anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?

I have t-mobile as my provider.

Thanks for your help.
    08-13-09 07:53 PM
    Downgrade your OS back ... that's my advice to you.
    08-13-09 07:56 PM
    Downgrade your OS back ... that's my advice to you.
    I second that.... mess with BETA OS that No provider would approve yet and you ask for help when none of your apps work... LOL!!!

Search a little for OS 5.0.0.130 and you will find dozens of threads about problems and issues... even though there are a hand full of people around here that will also say it is a stable OS... not sure how it's such a stable OS when so many apps will not work with that OS.
    08-13-09 08:01 PM
    Yea,not to sound rude but you should have known these wouldn't work before you upgraded.It was pretty well known and I've never even upgraded to 5.0 yet.People should take a little extra time to do their homework before diving into a new os.
    08-13-09 09:14 PM
    I second that.... mess with BETA OS that No provider would approve yet and you ask for help when none of your apps work... LOL!!!

Search a little for OS 5.0.0.130 and you will find dozens of threads about problems and issues... even though there are a hand full of people around here that will also say it is a stable OS... not sure how it's such a stable OS when so many apps will not work with that OS.
    Applications not working has absolutely nothing to do with stability. .130 is as stable if not more than 4.6.1.250. The reason some 3rd party applications do not work is because .130 now uses platform version 5.x. No other device software aside from some pre-release versions use this high of a platform version. For instance when FB 1.7 comes out, it will work with 5.0. When the software for developers is released, applications will be made compaitble with OS 5.0. Until then, some will work while others won't. That does not however reflect either way on the softwares stability..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 09:42 PM
    Well it can be a stable OS if you don't use the apps that won't work on it

Yes you should roll back your OS....and maybe next time ask this question in the beta OS part of the forum.

08-13-09 09:43 PM
    "stable" is one of those words with a vague enough definition, especially regarding operating systems, so that different people will decide that it means different things.

When I had 130 installed, it was "stable" in the sense that it never "crashed" or spontaneously rebooted during the week or so that I used it.

It was stable in that the apps that *did* work initially continued to work. There weren't any progressive issues that caused these apps to to crap out after several hours of use.

On the other hand, 130 had some serious issues that made it a non-starter for me. One of the most serious was that it's implementation of Wi-Fi/UMA seems to be far less stable than the implementation in 4.6.1.250. Now that I've got my router settings tweaked properly, UMA with 250 is fairly spectacular -- it never drops, I *always* get instant lock onto true UMA (as opposed to "uma") and it never drops during a phone call. Sound quality is excellent, and data is excellent over UMA with 250. In my experience, 130 couldn't come close to the same UMA performance or stability, regardless of router tweaks -- UMA would cycle through UMA / uma / GPRS / gprs, and back, and my phone calls would sound awful, with the volume cycling low to high every 5 to 10 seconds. I could *not* get good UMA support with 130. Now -- you can argue that this isn't a measure of "stability" per se. But at this point, the argument is pointless, and is merely one of semantics.

I probably wouldn't use the word "unstable" to describe 130, because it did, in fact, seem "stable" to me -- being generally consistent in the way it handled apps, data, connections, etc. For me, consistency in operation is the measure of stability. I would, however, categorize it as "incomplete", "not backward compatible" with some older apps, and "somewhat buggy".
    08-13-09 11:14 PM
    I would suggest you downgrade if you need the apps you listed but when i was running with 5.0.130 I thought it was pretty good till I ran into the text messaging firewall issue. Didn't know about it and downgraded back to 5.0.100.
    08-13-09 11:37 PM
    5.0 with Facebook emulation enabled is where its at!.

08-14-09 01:34 AM
    Every other post i read by lazerus has to do with some sort of emulation or emulator!!!! hahHAHAHAHAhaha
    08-14-09 03:22 AM
    Yeah i had the same problem with the IM Clients and more..the only OS i found that have working IM clients n apps is 5.0.0.90(i think thats it?) i had it on for months to they had release .100 and most my IM clients had work
    08-14-09 06:31 AM
    Yeah, if you want your native IM clients to work, but still want a 5.0 OS, I would recommend downgrading to 5.0.0.100; before I went to 130 all of my apps worked, besides FB and Myspace. I can't remember if I had to install the service books or not for the IM clients, but if you want them I made backups.
    08-14-09 07:11 AM
    I use AT&T btw
    08-14-09 07:12 AM
    I am happily running 5.0.0.100 since it was leaked. No FB but everything else is peachy

08-14-09 07:14 AM
    I am happily running 5.0.0.100 since it was leaked. No FB but everything else is peachy

Yeah I liked 100, I'm debating on whether or not to downgrade, because I like the predictive text and all of the other new options.
    08-14-09 07:17 AM
    ...When the software for developers is released, applications will be made compaitble with OS 5.0...
    Any idea when this is going to happen?
    08-14-09 07:18 AM
    My emulator needs emulation...
    08-14-09 08:03 AM
    "stable" is one of those words with a vague enough definition, especially regarding operating systems, so that different people will decide that it means different things.

When I had 130 installed, it was "stable" in the sense that it never "crashed" or spontaneously rebooted during the week or so that I used it.

It was stable in that the apps that *did* work initially continued to work. There weren't any progressive issues that caused these apps to to crap out after several hours of use.

On the other hand, 130 had some serious issues that made it a non-starter for me. One of the most serious was that it's implementation of Wi-Fi/UMA seems to be far less stable than the implementation in 4.6.1.250. Now that I've got my router settings tweaked properly, UMA with 250 is fairly spectacular -- it never drops, I *always* get instant lock onto true UMA (as opposed to "uma") and it never drops during a phone call. Sound quality is excellent, and data is excellent over UMA with 250. In my experience, 130 couldn't come close to the same UMA performance or stability, regardless of router tweaks -- UMA would cycle through UMA / uma / GPRS / gprs, and back, and my phone calls would sound awful, with the volume cycling low to high every 5 to 10 seconds. I could *not* get good UMA support with 130. Now -- you can argue that this isn't a measure of "stability" per se. But at this point, the argument is pointless, and is merely one of semantics.

I probably wouldn't use the word "unstable" to describe 130, because it did, in fact, seem "stable" to me -- being generally consistent in the way it handled apps, data, connections, etc. For me, consistency in operation is the measure of stability. I would, however, categorize it as "incomplete", "not backward compatible" with some older apps, and "somewhat buggy".
    Well said! I think your absolutely right and agree with you 100 percent.

08-14-09 09:58 AM
    My emulator needs emulation...
    The iPhone Emulation Module (IEM) and the FB Emulator (FBE) really does bring me the best of both worlds.

08-14-09 11:02 AM
    Applications not working has absolutely nothing to do with stability. .130 is as stable if not more than 4.6.1.250. The reason some 3rd party applications do not work is because .130 now uses platform version 5.x. No other device software aside from some pre-release versions use this high of a platform version. For instance when FB 1.7 comes out, it will work with 5.0. When the software for developers is released, applications will be made compaitble with OS 5.0. Until then, some will work while others won't. That does not however reflect either way on the softwares stability..

Bad choice of words, but the point I was trying to make is there are too many people trying to use the new BETA OS 5.0 versions and then they don't know how to do a downgrade procedure... and most of those don't realize that many of their apps will not work on this new version as you pointed out.

I'm glad to hear that this version IS stable, since I had heard a number of people saying the previous version was crashing their devices about once a day.
    08-14-09 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD