can i install an unofficial 5.0 os on a locked to rogers 8900? or does it have to be unlocked to change the os?
    05-21-10 05:15 PM
    hmmm . . Good Question

I would also like to know the answer

But Wait !, Unofficial !! > you mean not released by your Carrier or Leaked ones ?

Coz I think if it is not released by your carrier, all you need to do is delete the Vendor.xml File

if you were looking for the installation procedure .. look for my post in the following thread
    Installation Procedure
    05-21-10 06:02 PM
    in other word, yes you can ;p
    05-21-10 08:53 PM
    can i install an unofficial 5.0 os on a locked to rogers 8900? or does it have to be unlocked to change the os?
    It does not have to be unlocked. You can install away. Give this a read:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

as well as this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f151/bl...0/#post3130582
    05-21-10 09:44 PM
    I just read the the link above so if my carrier doesn't officially support the phone, I am unable to do the OS upgrade?
    05-26-10 10:12 AM
    I just read the the link above so if my carrier doesn't officially support the phone, I am unable to do the OS upgrade?
    If it is not released by your carrier, all you need to do is delete the Vendor.xml file after installing the OS on your PC
    05-26-10 03:02 PM
    If it is not released by your carrier, all you need to do is delete the Vendor.xml file after installing the OS on your PC
    Thanks for the input.

I currently have a 8900 locked to Rogers so I should delete the xml file first so I can upgrade to the latest official version myself before getting the phone unlocked so I can use it with another carrier. Please keep in mind that both carriers don't support v5.0. Would my plan still work?

Sorry for the noob question but I just want to make sure that I understand completely.
    05-26-10 10:23 PM
    Thanks for the input.

I currently have a 8900 locked to Rogers so I should delete the xml file first so I can upgrade to the latest official version myself before getting the phone unlocked so I can use it with another carrier.
    That's right . . or you can unlock it and then upgrade ( also have to delete the .xml file though )
    05-27-10 04:30 PM
    Thanks again Ahmed.
    05-28-10 12:37 AM
    unlocked phone means you can use a different GSM base sim card
    carrier on the phone.
    locked means; you can only use roger's sim card or else the phone
    will reject all other sim cards
    05-30-10 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD