First of all an apology - I HAVE used the search function (honest!) and tried google (as I realise that this is an often asked question) but to no avail

It's not missed calls I'm afraid and so far I've tried using the 'Search for unread Messages' utility (no results), Using the 'U' shortcut (no results), numerous battery pulls (overnight no less!) from the factory installed theme as opposed to an after market one, deleting all unread email from my webmail folders and deleting all unread email from my outlook folders on my desktop yet still there remains the unread messages icon on the Blackberry. Any ideas/suggestions Ladies 'n Gents?
    09-11-09 03:27 AM
    First of all an apology - I HAVE used the search function (honest!) and tried google (as I realise that this is an often asked question) but to no avail

It's not missed calls I'm afraid and so far I've tried using the 'Search for unread Messages' utility (no results), Using the 'U' shortcut (no results), numerous battery pulls (overnight no less!) from the factory installed theme as opposed to an after market one, deleting all unread email from my webmail folders and deleting all unread email from my outlook folders on my desktop yet still there remains the unread messages icon on the Blackberry. Any ideas/suggestions Ladies 'n Gents?
    Messages>Menu>View Folders> did you check all of these to make sure there was nothing still lingering?

Have you tried a battery pull or reset?
    09-11-09 03:32 AM
    Thanks for the response jg. Yep, I've searched the folders (twice now after I retraced my steps following your reply ) and I reckon I'm into double figures on battery pulls! I haven't attempted a master reset yet as I believe (rightly or wrongly!) that I'll have to back up my contacts (which I haven't done as yet) so was looking for a solution that didn't involve that however if that's my only option it looks like I'll have to take that route.

Once again, thanks for your reply.
    09-11-09 03:52 AM
    Thanks for the response jg. Yep, I've searched the folders (twice now after I retraced my steps following your reply ) and I reckon I'm into double figures on battery pulls! I haven't attempted a master reset yet as I believe (rightly or wrongly!) that I'll have to back up my contacts (which I haven't done as yet) so was looking for a solution that didn't involve that however if that's my only option it looks like I'll have to take that route.

Once again, thanks for your reply.
    Are you running a custom theme?
    09-11-09 03:54 AM
    I do run a custom theme however prior to any battery pull I reset the theme to the RIM factory installed theme (the theme that was initially installed on the Curve on delivery) prior to the pull.
    09-11-09 04:00 AM
    I do run a custom theme however prior to any battery pull I reset the theme to the RIM factory installed theme (the theme that was initially installed on the Curve on delivery) prior to the pull.
    You dont need to reset your theme to do a pull. So even on the default theme the message icon still appears?
    09-11-09 04:03 AM
    You dont need to reset your theme to do a pull.
    Really? I've found that sometimes (only sometimes mind you!) that a battery pull will only fully work when I reset the theme to a default theme prior to the pull - I'm sure that's a discussion for another time

So even on the default theme the message icon still appears?
    It does - not just one unread either, 46 I received a plethora of emails yesterday and deleted them individually 'from mailbox and handheld' as I usually do yet the unread email icon still appears. I think I'll take your advice and implement a master reset this evening as it appears that it's my only option.
    09-11-09 04:13 AM
    Really? I've found that sometimes (only sometimes mind you!) that a battery pull will only fully work when I reset the theme to a default theme prior to the pull - I'm sure that's a discussion for another time

It does - not just one unread either, 46 I received a plethora of emails yesterday and deleted them individually 'from mailbox and handheld' as I usually do yet the unread email icon still appears. I think I'll take your advice and implement a master reset this evening as it appears that it's my only option.
    Wierd! Well I really do think it may be theme related. What OS are you running? I believe a update was just released for the 8900 I would update your OS, if you havent already and delete any custom themes on your device and use default and see if the problem continues.
    09-11-09 04:23 AM
    jg - you were correct, it was theme related.

I have two custom themes on my Curve in addition to the defaults - both the defaults and one of the custom themes couldn't find the missing messages however following your hunch I thought I'd try the other custom theme to see if they'd appear. Once selected there they were, bold as brass (with a 'new message' icon to boot!), they're now all deleted and I've reset the theme that was playing silly buggers!

Thank you for your responses, they're very much appreciated - If karma exists I'm sending you a shed load
    09-11-09 05:26 AM
    If you are running a 3rd party theme and have unread messages you will have problems when you do a battery pull - see the 3rd Party Theme Problem link in my signature for more information on this. You were doing the right thing by switching to a default theme before doing the battery pull. Basically, you can't have un-read messages and a 3rd party theme running and then do a battery pull.

In the future you can also try this:

Messages > scroll to the top date > BB Button > Mark Prior Opened
    09-11-09 11:19 AM
    jg - you were correct, it was theme related.

I have two custom themes on my Curve in addition to the defaults - both the defaults and one of the custom themes couldn't find the missing messages however following your hunch I thought I'd try the other custom theme to see if they'd appear. Once selected there they were, bold as brass (with a 'new message' icon to boot!), they're now all deleted and I've reset the theme that was playing silly buggers!

Thank you for your responses, they're very much appreciated - If karma exists I'm sending you a shed load
    No worries, Glad you got everything figured out and working!
    09-11-09 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD