Hi Guys ... I need to buy a unlocked Blackberry 8900 to carry it back with me for my brother in India. Whats the best way to buy an unlocked Blackberry 8900 in the US from reliable sources ? Please advice easiest and afordable sources.

thanks
    11-02-09 09:05 PM
    You can find many unlocked 8900 for cheap on Craigslist, just be sure they have clear ESN
    11-02-09 09:07 PM
    Sorry for dumb question ... whats ESN ? Also am looking to buy a brand new one with warranty etc, is Craigslist a reliable source to buy ?
    11-02-09 09:10 PM
    11-02-09 09:50 PM
    You can find many unlocked 8900 for cheap on Craigslist, just be sure they have clear ESN
    GSM phones do not have ESNs. The identifiers would be the PIN and the IMEI

Sorry for dumb question ... whats ESN ? Also am looking to buy a brand new one with warranty etc, is Craigslist a reliable source to buy ?
    I would totally avoid Craigslist and go for a vendor that uses PayPal (Ebay,
    Amazon, that way you have a mechanism for dispute resolution.

With Craigslist, once the sale is done you are pretty much on your own if
    the device is not as advertised, DOA, etc...
    11-02-09 11:03 PM
    GSM phones do not have ESNs. The identifiers would be the PIN and the IMEI

I would totally avoid Craigslist and go for a vendor that uses PayPal (Ebay,
    Amazon, that way you have a mechanism for dispute resolution.

Agreed. Craigslist can be a very shady place to buy anything. Ebay, Amazon, Newegg, or Horizon are all good places to buy unlocked phones. My personal favorite is Newegg.
    11-03-09 02:17 PM
    I would totally avoid Craigslist and go for a vendor that uses PayPal (Ebay, Amazon, that way you have a mechanism for dispute resolution.

Please also be reminded that Craig's List, while a great site for many things, is not an auction site like eBay and there are NO feedback protocols on Craig's List that allow you to see other people's experience with any particular seller. Typically on sites like eBay there are ratings of sellers so you can see who is reliable and who isn't.
    11-03-09 02:29 PM
    Just call your service provider and tell them you are leaving the country with the phone. I did that with T-mobile and they gave it to me for free. Took about 48 hours, but FREE.
    11-03-09 04:04 PM
    Just call your service provider and tell them you are leaving the country with the phone. I did that with T-mobile and they gave it to me for free. Took about 48 hours, but FREE.
    He doesn't have an 8900, he needs to buy an unlocked one to take to his brother in India.
    11-03-09 04:19 PM
    Totally missed that one. Sorry.
    11-03-09 05:13 PM
    What a coincidence I sell a 8900 currently, check the marketplace forum. Unbranded and unlocked, more details in the thread. Report back if interested!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 05:39 PM
    Totally missed that one. Sorry.
    No prob, just pointin' it out. Didn't mean to come off as a ****.
    11-03-09 06:57 PM
    You can just buy an 8900 at the best price you can find, regardless if it is unlocked or locked. If you do purchase a locked device then you can easily purchase an unlock code for that device and unlock it yourself within minutes. Most unlocked phones sell for a higher price so it possibly is cheaper for you to purchase a locked device and unlock it for a small fee (usually $20 or less).
    11-03-09 10:15 PM
    If you are travelling through Abu Dhabi airport you can buy them unlocked at the airport duty free, all phones there you buy are factory unlocked. Good price to as i got mine there.
    11-04-09 06:57 AM
    Just a word of advice. Stay away from gsmphonesource.com if you shopping 4 unlock codes, they gave me a wrong code and they didn't bother to reply my emails. CellUnlock.net delivered 100%
    11-20-09 11:25 AM
    If you are travelling through Abu Dhabi airport you can buy them unlocked at the airport duty free, all phones there you buy are factory unlocked. Good price to as i got mine there.
    :O woah sweet!
    11-20-09 06:15 PM
    I got my curve yesterday, last night i purchased an unlock code on ebay for less than 4 bucks, got the code this morning and it's unlocked (just in case i need to swap in my t-mo sim.) I wen't with e-bay again as i've done it before. You can get a good idea of who's good just by feedbacks.
    11-20-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD